Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Chit Chat
 Just a bit of merit badge chit chat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Just a bit of merit badge chit chat Next Topic
Page: of 47

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6593 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6593 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  7:57:05 PM  Show Profile
I am excited to begin working on my merit badges and sharing my experiences with everyone! After much debating I was finally able to pick the top 4 badges I plan to accomplish first!
I chose….

1.Pampered Pets (Outpost)
-It’s important to me that my pets are healthy and will live a long happy life. Knowing what is best for them will allow me to enhance their life.

2. Bread Making (Farm Kitchen)
-I have always enjoyed cooking and now look forward to a better way of cooking.

3. Embroidery (Stitching and Crafting)
- Would love to make something special for my baby boy just like my Grandma Butters made for me.

4. Water Conservation (Cleaning Up)
- I love the idea of helping save the planet as well as help me save money on my bill.

With that in mind, what merit badges do you fellow farmgirls plan on accomplishing first? Or working towards right now? Any of them hold a special meaning that drives you to accomplish one over another?

Much luck and enjoyment in your merit badge experiences!

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6722 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6722 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  05:27:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi Krista, and welcome to the Farm. I do like to talk about what I want to do and what I am working on so this is the perfect place for me.

I have earned several badges and the next ones I have in mind are:

Apple Badge

Badges in: Farmhouse Kitchen; Stitching Room & Crafts; Garden Gate

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  06:41:15 AM  Show Profile
Hay there, Mz Krista,

Welcome to the FarmGirl Sisterhood! I have earned a few and will be trying to achieve Expert level on them. At the present I am working with my chicks at the Poor House FarmGirls Hen House (virtual chapter) to achieve the Recipe badge. Feel free to join us. We are working thru the holidays to get this one completed.

My small town has finally decided to get onboard with recycling so I will b submitting requests for several badges in conjunction with that.

Its fun to work on them and earn them. I know you will have fun also.

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16228 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16228 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  09:58:29 AM  Show Profile
Krista,
When you get ready to bake some bread, this is the time of year your grandmother (my mother) always added a bit of sweetener, some cinnamon, and a couple handfuls of walnuts we'd grown and shelled to her loaves of bread. Did you ever get in on one of Dad's walnut-cracking sessions?

During the summer, edible English walnuts are covered with a green husk. In the fall, when the walnuts are ready for harvest, the husks crack and break apart. English walnut saplings can be purchased from Burnt Ridge Nursery, 360-985-2873, www.burntridgenursery.com. Above is my father’s walnut cracker invention. The beauty of his design allowed us to sit around the living room and crack walnuts without the shells flying everywhere. The holes in the board weren’t drilled all the way through, so after we cracked all the walnuts with a hammer, we tipped it upside down and sorted out the nutmeats.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  10:02:58 AM  Show Profile
Now that's a contraption I can use. Black walnuts are all over the ranch and I hate cracking them. Thanks for the photo.....I can make that!

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6722 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6722 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  10:20:55 AM  Show Profile
I'm amazed at what I learn here on the 'Farm'. MaryJane, thanks for giving us a place to learn from you and FarmGirls all over our country and others.

To borrow from a TV commercial 'Let's get cracking!'

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6475 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6475 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  10:53:00 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I have never seen this nut cracking tool before. Your Dad was a genius! I bet such a tool would work for Hickory Nuts too. They grow here in Florida, but boy are they the devil to get out of the shell. Talk about encased in a rock! I am joining Sara in agreeing that we learn the most interesting things here at MJF.

Krista, you will enjoy the badge earning process. Each badge has it's own benefits and you can work at your own pace. Currently, I have been working on the intermediate level of our new Apple Badge that was created this past September to celebrate our first Apple Festival at MJF with our new tradition of Apple Pie Sunday on the last Sunday of September. Do you like apples and are you curious about how they grow and the long history they have about our early Colonial days?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13546 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13546 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  2:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Working towards finishing expert in Origami, intermediate and expert in Quilling and preparing for the Apple badge to be "released" in 2016!
CJ

P.S. I was waaaayyyy behind on getting my earned badges embroidered, but I finally got caught up on that! YAY!

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Oct 23 2015 2:30:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6593 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6593 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2015 :  9:02:21 PM  Show Profile
I just love being able to talk about the merit badges with you ladies!

Sara- Please make sure you keep me posted on how the badges are coming along and don’t forget to share some pictures with us!

Daizy- I have a strong passion to recycle. At this current time we don’t have a recycle can but I make sure to save it and take it to my parents’ house and use their recycle. I am glad to hear that you have your town on board. This sounds like a merit badge I could really get into. Thank you for sharing.

Mary Jane- Yes, I do remember cracking open walnuts with grandpa. There was always so many. I remember cracking open buckets full. Such wonderful family memories. It’s good to see his walnut cracking contraption!

Winnie- I actually love apples and have been craving to make my own apple pie!

Cj- I would love to see your expert level origami project. It sounds like so much fun. Do you by chance know what you will be making?
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6722 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6722 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2015 :  10:35:35 AM  Show Profile
I have officially begun working on my beginners Apple badge. Yesterday at the grocery store I listed all 9 apples. Apples don't grow in my part of TX so I'm limited to what is in the stores. Over the weekend I hope to begin researching the history of apples in England and America.

For the intermediate badge I bought a 3# bag of Granny Smith apples, my favorite. I will use the apples for a small bakeover pie, drying, and 3 ways in a meal.

I looked over the requirements for the expert badge, but that's as far as I have gotten with it.

I like having a place to talk about what I am doing even if I do it a little bit at a time.

Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2015 :  12:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
You ladies are all doing great!! I am ashamed to say that I haven't done one badge yet. But, as soon as I get my Farmgirl Journel book done, I am going to tackle some of them. The first ones will probably be the sewing, apron, and the bread badges.

Julie
Farmgirl #399
May 2010 Farmgirl of the Month

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog ... Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6593 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6593 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2015 :  6:10:45 PM  Show Profile
Sara, that is awesome! You will have the apple badge completed before you know it! Your apple food sounds really good! I have been craving apples so much lately. I have just been eating them as is, no fancy cooking yet.

Julie, don’t feel ashamed! You actually have already started. You have made a list of the ones you would like to explore and complete first! That is the first step!

Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2015 :  02:23:58 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Krista for your encouragement!

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog ... Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

ladypony76
True Blue Farmgirl

313 Posts

Angela
Louisville MS
USA
313 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2015 :  3:08:18 PM  Show Profile

These are some sprouts I grew for the "Know your food badge" They are turnip sprouts and I clipped the roots off since you do not want to consume the soil. I also read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. Kept a food journal, No hydrogenated oils or artificial sweetners. Got a little bit to go, and I will be done.

Farmgirl Farming on Faith!
Go to Top of Page

ladypony76
True Blue Farmgirl

313 Posts

Angela
Louisville MS
USA
313 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2015 :  3:08:55 PM  Show Profile
Hugs,
Angela#6681

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6593 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6593 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2015 :  6:08:06 PM  Show Profile
Wow Angela you are so close. It looks like all you have left for the beginner badge is to find 10 ways to incorporate fresh fruits and veggies. Do you have any ideas on how you plan to do this? I would actually love to hear some of your ideas. It’s so hard to get my husband to eat them regularly so if I can find new ways to help him that would be wonderful!
Go to Top of Page

ladypony76
True Blue Farmgirl

313 Posts

Angela
Louisville MS
USA
313 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2015 :  08:31:19 AM  Show Profile
Hey Krista,
Some of the ideas I used are in soups and fresh salsa. Smoothies or straight juicing. Marinades and sauces
Hope these few ideas help.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Angela#6681

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6593 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6593 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2015 :  11:51:01 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the ideas Angela! My best bet is to hide the veggies (so he won’t know they are in the food). I’ll find some ways to hid them in your ideas. One of the hiding techniques I use is putting mushrooms and onions in with ground beef. I make the onions so small they just seem to disappear and the mushrooms just happen to be similar in color to the meat that my husband doesn’t even notice! Also when you make potato cheddar soup you puree the extra veggies and tell him it’s just darker in color because you added more cheese!! These are some ideas for those picky eaters out there!
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  05:35:16 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
So many great ideas for hiding the veggies....

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13546 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13546 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  08:03:43 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Krista,
I'm not sure yet what my expert origami project will be! Also not sure how soon I'll get to it!

And, I'm also trying to get to my intermediate quilling. That will be a snowflake and my expert will be more than one snowflake in more intricate designs. Need to get busy on those with winter here!

We'll see . . . life has a way of presenting other priorities!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6593 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6593 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  09:32:56 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Julie!

CJ, I completely understand what you mean about life having other plans for us. Maybe with winter on its way you will get a chance to just sit back and relax. Then those snowflakes will just start flowing! I can’t wait to see them!
Go to Top of Page

ladypony76
True Blue Farmgirl

313 Posts

Angela
Louisville MS
USA
313 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2015 :  5:43:56 PM  Show Profile
woo hoo I did get beginner know your food badge. It is really cute . I think I want to do beginner apron next. I have some really cute material I can use and it is supposed to be raining here tomorrow so I could sit and sew. I also want to begin on the intermediate of Know your food also.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Angela#6681

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6593 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6593 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2015 :  6:06:40 PM  Show Profile
Way to go Angela! That is so awesome! The beginner apron badge sounds like a great idea and with it raining tomorrow it will make it perfect to stay inside and sew! It was snowing here today. I wish I could have stayed home and worked on some fun projects! I can’t wait to see your cute material and what your apron looks like finished! Don’t forget to share photos! Let me know how tomorrow goes.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6593 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6593 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2015 :  8:08:40 PM  Show Profile
I have officially decided that I will begin working on my beginners level of embroidery this weekend. I am going to have my mom teach me how and then I will work on my sampler! I am super excited to get started and have already chosen green, purple/pink, and blue as my thread colors.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6593 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6593 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2015 :  7:33:59 PM  Show Profile
How is everyone doing? Just doing a quick check in to see how things are going!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2015 :  11:20:07 PM  Show Profile
What are you using for your sampler? I have tried to find a kit forr my 12 year old to do, but she would like flowers/a picture opposed to just doing the various stitches to show you can do them.

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 47 Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Just a bit of merit badge chit chat Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page