Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 The Tradition Of The Three Gifts Of Christmas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic The Tradition Of The Three Gifts Of Christmas Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  12:19:19 PM  Show Profile
Hello girls!

A while back I learned of this wonderful Christmas Tradition from, I believe, one of our farmgirl sisters. Please forgive me, I cannot remember which of you wonderful girls it was (Shannon – was it you?). Her description was brief, but it was a tradition that I immediately knew we had to incorporate in our Christmas celebration. Later, while discussing it with my sister-in-law, I was so excited to learn that she, too, does something very similar with her own children! Why had I not heard of this before? Why had I not thought of this myself?! The Three Gifts of Christmas is a gift-giving tradition that actually turns our hearts and minds back to the TRUE meaning of Christmas! If you haven’t heard of it before, I think you are truly going to love it!

Following the tradition of the Three Wise Men, this practice recalls the meaningful gifts they presented to Jesus at the first Christmas (Matthew 2:11). Three - and only three - gifts are given. Although the meaning behind the gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh vary amount the experts, we can certainly agree that these were extremely valuable and meaningful presents. In fact, they were once considered standard gifts given to honor a king. Gold is a precious metal; frankincense was used as a perfume or incense and was used in Biblical times in anointing oil, as was the third gift, myrrh. Anointing included the intention of introducing a divine presence, and was used ceremonially with high priests and leaders, as well as for the infirm. These gifts presented to our Lord not only implied great honor and status, they were also symbolic of Jesus Himself. Gold was representative of His kingship and symbolized His virtue. Frankincense represented His role as High Priest. And myrrh foreshadowed His death and the subsequent anointing of His body. Each of the Three Gifts selected for giving at Christmas today are to be symbolic of these meaningful treasures presented to the Holy Child.

Precious and expensive, pure gold is the most malleable metal known; and in the days of the Old Testament, it was considered to be one of the heaviest workable metals. Despite its malleability, it is strong enough to hold up against caustic acids, corrosion, the elements and time, constantly maintaining its value. This was very important in days of old when there were no banks and people would simply bury their gold for safe keeping. Gold is so rare and precious that alchemists dedicated their entire lives to finding a way to create it out of other, lesser metals. Although they could manage to fashion a few facsimiles, they never were able to actually recreate the real thing. In Biblical times, gold was a traditional gift given at birth to help with the financial burden of a new child, and would have been a great blessing to the Holy Family, who we know were poor. With all this in mind, the first gift given under the Three Gift Christmas tradition represents this precious gift of gold. It should be a very special gift from the recipient’s wish list; something he or she deeply desires and hopes for. And, of course, this would be the most expensive gift given, but it does not necessarily need to be an “expensive” gift. It’s the most important gift with the most meaning to the recipient, which could be wrapped in paper of gold, or tied up with gold ribbon and accented with a big, gold bow.

Frankincense is actually an aromatic gum resin produced from the sap from specific trees in Africa. When the sap hardens, it is peeled from the wood, then primarily used in making perfume or as incense. Its sweet, heavenly scent can be soothing to a baby, and yet it also keeps away pests. In Exodus 30: 34, we learn it was one of the elements used in Holy Anointing. It was also part of the cereal offering in Leviticus 6:15, and we see in Leviticus 24:7 that it was placed in a purified form on the showbread in the Tabernacle. As a gift to Jesus, frankincense symbolized His priestly office, and is a symbol of prayer. The second gift of the Three Gifts we give, therefore, is a spiritual gift representing this Magi’s gift of frankincense: something intended to bring the recipient closer to God. It might be a Bible, a prayer book, incense, a holy medal or a Rosary or a Cross or Crucifix on a chain. For a child, I like the Fisher Price Nativity Playset. Every Christmas, without fail, one of the children coming to visit asks about our Nativity set, so together we play out the story. Over the years, I’ve collected several small, inexpensive sets and placed them on the coffee table for the kids to play with. This way, it’s one of the dollar store sets that gets chipped or broken rather than my family one-day-to-be heirloom!

Similar to frankincense, myrrh is an oleo gum. Produced from the sap of thorny-branched trees which grow about 9 feet tall, just as frankincense, myrrh has healing properties. The resin of Myrrh, however, is more adhesive as it dries, which makes it ideal for sealing wounds. Myrrh is also notably used aromatically as incense. Interestingly, Myrrh has a bitter taste, which symbolizes Christ’s suffering during His Passion, and is reminiscent of the bitter sorrow of our Blessed Mother at the foot of her Son’s Cross. Exodus 30: 32-33 tells us myrrh was an ingredient of the holy anointing oil. Myrrh is also known for its deodorizing properties, and in Biblical times was used with aloes and other scents and spices to anoint the dead. This gift of the Magi to the Baby Jesus was, therefore, a foreshadowing symbol of His death on the Cross and the intended anointing of His body by the women coming to His tomb. The Third Gift of Christmas, then, is representative of this gift of myrrh, and speaks to the body, the Holy temple of our souls. It could be an article of clothing, or gifts of soaps, lotions, bath oils, shampoos, fragrance, etc.

The gifts of the Magi to the Christ Child were amazing. After a lifetime of careful, painstaking study of ancient prophecy, of calculating times and of charting the stars, they traveled great distances facing perils beyond measure and suffering great personal discomfort, all in the hopes of finding the Prophesied One. The obstacles before them may have seemed almost insurmountable, to be sure. And they didn’t have a GPS, there was no map or personal guide; only a simple, bright star would lead them. Ponder the great faith of the Magi, who read the signs and followed. What inexplicable joy it must have been when they finally found Him! When they gazed upon the Precious Little One, their hearts were overcome, and melted with love. Recognizing His Great Majesty, in all humility they fell prostrate before Him and worshiped Him. The gifts they presented to Him were, in every sense, worthy of The King. They didn’t exchange gifts among themselves, they gave HIM the best of their best! They celebrated HIM and what His coming meant to the world! What an incredibly wonderful model the Magi and their story are for us today: the burning desire to see Him; the great lengths gone and incredible sacrifices made to find Him; the overwhelming love that overcame their hearts for Him; the utmost humility shown in worshiping Him; and the divinely inspired gifts given to Him. They gave their ALL for Him! If only the hearts of the world would follow the example of the Magi and celebrate Him in this same way!

So this Christmas, as you reflect upon God’s Wondrous Gift to the world, please consider incorporating the tradition of the Three Gifts of Christmas to breathe new life into your Holy-day celebrations. Most importantly, however, please always remember that the Greatest Gift we receive at Christmas isn’t one in a box decorated with fancy paper and a big, shiny bow. Nor is it under the tree, or in a stocking, or in a treat bag, or in the bright lights, or in the music, or even on the table surrounded by loved ones. The True Gift of Christmas is found in God’s Great Love for us, given in the Gift of His Holy, Beloved Son: It is the Gift of His Life-Giving Love!

Merry Christmas!

Hugs and love –

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

www.papercraftingwithnini.ctmh.com

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Nov 24 2015 12:29:03 PM

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2656 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2656 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2016 :  09:17:39 AM  Show Profile
Nini, loved this!!!! Thank you for sharing!!!!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2016 :  11:39:06 AM  Show Profile
"Thanks, Nini, I love reading your threads!!
Interesting.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  07:02:34 AM  Show Profile
This is such an interesting post! We have tried a number of different ways to give over the holidays. For years we gave each child three gifts. Since Jesus rec'd three (often a lot of gifts is overwhelming to young children). We always tried to make their gifts interesting & special. As they got older, we switched to ~

"Something they want,
Something they need.
Something to eat,
Something to read."

Now we have grands!!! Thirteen grands.

We don't like giving gifts that will just add to the *clutter* of their homes or a toy that will end up in next summer's yard sale. Therefore, we search for special gifts throughout the year.

Each year we give something that represents light, since Jesus is the LIGHT OF THE world. Depending on age, candles and nice flashlights are usually included. Some years it has been family passes to the OKC zoo, or tickets to the movie theater. One year, it was baskets with new movies and great snacks for a movie night. Last year, each granddaughter received a gold chain necklace, that had belonged to their great grandmother.

Anyway, we are now looking for a good fit for this year. The older grands have been asking for a family cookbook, with memories from past years included, along with recipes. And that may be a great possibility. Our grands range in age from 6 to 21 y/o, 6 boys & 7 girls.

Any ideas? Would love to hear them!

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  07:07:01 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, I was trying to edit and did something wrong. Yikes!

Edited by - Shi-anne on Aug 19 2017 07:10:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  09:48:23 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl we do something very similar to what you use to do....
Something you want
Something you need
Something you wear
Something you read

We also make each other homemade gifts :)

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic The Tradition Of The Three Gifts Of Christmas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page