hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2016 :  11:31:18 AM  Show Profile
LOL Sabrina! We can actually do without pork bacon, and enjoy turkey bacon... but I would love the lard for soap... and honestly, I LOVE scrapple!!! (Have any of you even heard of it?) We do not get to eat it very often... for one, the store bought kind has gluten in it so I have to get it from my sister after they butcher.. but two we do not eat much pork. I had thought that pork still has many of the same health issues even when pasteurized, as they will still eat their own feces, and their pH is so acidic. As for rabbits... apparently their protein is "weird" enough that if you eat too much, without other fats, you can get what they call "rabbit starvation." You will apparently have a distended stomach, diarrhea, and will never feel satisfied. But rabbit is soon yummy and easy to breed. I've though about angora rabbits as well....

Oh and I was reminded by the kids that we need bees :)

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2016 :  11:35:54 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, Alicia. By the time I was done reading all the comments and wrote mine the page had already changed. Sorry for not catching that. Your plans for your farm sound wonderful.

Sabrina- I hope you can kick the sickness from your house soon. I feel the same way with my to do list. It seems to keep getting bigger with no end in sight.

I love hearing all your stories about your farms and gardens and hope that all of you can accomplish your goals. We haven’t thought too much about having a farm with animals (no land) but do plan on starting a small garden this year. Once we branch out to animals I am thinking about getting some chickens.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2016 :  2:16:30 PM  Show Profile
I guess I never gave much thought as to why the pig was called the unclean animal, other than the mud. I'd never heard that about rabbits either. Jason wants rabbits and I don't, so maybe I can dissuade him... :) I just want chickens and a couple goats. I'd be happy with that.

It's been snowing all day here, and it's supposed to be in the 60s all next week. March.

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"It is... through the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth." - Madeleine L'Engle
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1501 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1501 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2016 :  5:45:56 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Now I need to read up! I never remember reading rabbits!? Pigs, yes. Though we still plan to have a pig or two, because we can feed them the garden scraps that aren't good enough to put up or sell. We currently raise meat rabbits. We enjoy it, too, juicy and sort of chicken-like. lol! Oh! And my 13 year old daughter is the one who raises them, sells what she can for pets, and she and Matt butcher together.

I LOVE reading everyone else's farm dreams!!!!!!

Sabrina-- Poor kiddos! Prayers and hugs!

In homeschooling news, 2 more weeks until Spring Break!! 3 weeks off!!! YES! And I have been building next year's curriculum. We school year around and start in July. Anyone else who home schools buy new books and can't hardly WAIT to start?!

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."

Edited by - DandeeRose on Mar 03 2016 5:47:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1501 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1501 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2016 :  5:50:03 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
No worries Krista!! ;) It is easy to miss a post!!

On the subject of bees- Matt has talked about adding them this year!! I want to so badly!! I imagine it will be next year tough, just like a cow.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2016 :  11:35:12 PM  Show Profile
Shannon-I didn't know that part about pigs I had just heard if they were pastured they weren't so toxic. We honestly use pork maybe once a week or every 2 weeks, beef once or twice a week and we cook a whole chicken and use it usually in two meals (although we eat enough now it doesn't always last two meals) then we have leftovers for the rest of our dinners. So we don't eat a LOT of pork. But they are prolific and relatively easy (hardy, don't require too much hands on) eat scraps and can till your garden in the winter makes them an attractive animal to raise. We would probably only have two sows and a male (what is a male pig called? the word is not coming to me...too early). Then we would butcher what we need and sell the rest as meat or breeders. At least this is what I'm thinking. Same with rabbits just so easy and prolific. Rabbit meat is good but I wouldn't want it to be a staple....the information about rabbit starvation is interesting, I've never looked into it much really, we have only eaten it a couple times. Apparently angoras can be used as meat rabbits but I'm not sure why you would...maybe because you wouldn't want too many males. So perhaps the males will be our meat rabbits....I guess we will see.

I'm taking the kids to the doc this morning. Last night it hit me that their symptoms are consistent with strep. Strep scares me especially with how long it is lingering and that they seem to be passing it back and forth.

Oh yes, absolutely bees!! I'm a little afraid of them....but we would definitely have them!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  03:42:47 AM  Show Profile
Sabrina I'm a little afraid of them too, but not afraid enough not to try. How are your kids doing? Were you right about the strep?

Alicia I'm the same way with homeschool curriculum. My boys don't feel the same though. Lol! I think my girl will probably be different as far as schoolwork goes, but the boys usually aren't very enthusiastic. They get excited about science, and some history, but mostly that's it. They still would rather be homeschooled though. They know they have it good, and if they need to be reminded I just say do you want 9 hrs with bus time or 3 hours of work at home?

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"It is... through the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth." - Madeleine L'Engle
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1501 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1501 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  04:35:10 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Oh no, strep is no fun. :( How are they Sabrina?

We are leaning pretty well toward Charlotte Mason style these days. And I guess I am excited because 2 of the subjects next year will be family studies. I have a Bible/History/Geography that we will go through mostly together, as well as a Humanities (Art/ Music/Handicrafts/Literature) study. I guess I am eager to get in there! Isabelle is dragging through Science this year. We have a great program; Apologia's Creation with General Science, it's just so dry and "text-book-y". I got here a lesson book from Queen Homeschool called Every Herb Bearing Seed. It is a Mason- style high school Anatomy and natural medicine study! I am joining in there, too!!

Matt has always said he really didn't want bees. He is allergic, though. One sting is fine, but 2 and he swells up! I guess about the last year he has seemed to look forward to having out own hives.

Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1501 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1501 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  04:37:15 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
OH!!!! I got word last night!!! MY SEEDS ARE SHIPPING TODAY!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  04:52:37 AM  Show Profile
NO STREP!! yay! Although it doesn't explain this illness but I guess it is just a virus that takes a few days to get rid of. They do all seem better today and don't have fevers. My oldest is still pretty tired but the others are acting normal. I cancelled all our weekend stuff so we can just rest and recuperate.

We will definitely have bees they just make me nervous. So I'll either have to sweet talk hubby into doing it or get over my fear!

As for our homeschooling, I'm super relaxed. We participate in a Classical Conversations community but I'm not very classical at home. We loosely follow the TJed ideas and semi-unschool (I do have certain things I require daily though). We go through the summer but we don't have specific start/stop days, we just flow from one thing into the other and move up "grades" as they are ready if that makes sense.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1501 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1501 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  04:57:41 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Makes perfect sense! We would unschool more, but Isabelle isn't very disciplined. :/

Yay!!! No strep!! Isabelle got sick last summer, the doctor insisted it was strep. I was better at diagnosing, though.... It was mono. All 3 of my children and myself ended up with
\
it. :(

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1407 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1407 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  12:50:47 PM  Show Profile
Alicia - we use Charlotte Mason :) I love it!!

Sabrina - super duper happy to hear it's not strep!!

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  2:15:21 PM  Show Profile
Alicia that Herb Course sounds intriguing. I've been very into herbs lately. I ordered a bunch of herbs to make this prenatal/postpartum herbal honey. I just need to get a grinder before I make it. That's on my to do list for tomorrow. My best friends birthday is tomorrow so we're going to a movie and to dinner. You know how when you're with kids all day everyday, it can be so exciting to go do something with an adult? Yeah, I'm pretty excited. :)

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1407 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1407 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  5:02:18 PM  Show Profile
yeah Erin!! I'm so excited you get to have a girls night out :) I hope you have lots of fun!! Looking forward to hearing how your tea goes as well...

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  5:57:56 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina, I am so glad to hear it’s not strep. I hope they get better quickly.

Erin, you are so lucky. I feel so stuck at home sometimes. I took the baby and went for a walk today. It has been the highlight of my week. Getting out of the house now is the best thing ever. What movie are you guys going to see? Have fun!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2016 :  04:42:03 AM  Show Profile
We're seeing Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Her choice, but I like Tina Fey, so I think it'll be ok. I dissuaded her from Deadpool. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my superheroes, but I love them PG-13. I think Deadpool will be a little too much for me. At least that's what I've heard. I almost never see movies, but when I do it's usually with her, not my husband! Lol. I'm guessing probably most of you don't go to the theater much either (maybe I'm wrong). Well in my family I'm kind of a weirdo. My mom, brother and sister see movies all the time. My brother was a film major, so he sees all kinds. I'm like the odd ball out. :)

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1407 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1407 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2016 :  04:49:24 AM  Show Profile
You are right Erin...I don't go to the movies :) I can count on one hand how many times I have been...and I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you the last time I went to a movie!

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2016 :  05:13:47 AM  Show Profile
I can tell you the last time I went to the movies, it was for Star Wars!!! But that is because we made a huge point to go (and took 3 of the kids with us). Before that I think the last movie I saw was the one about Mary Poppins (well the author of it, can't remember the name of the movie) with one of my good friends over 2 years ago. Not sure when the last time I went to the movies with hubby alone was. We rarely go.

Mono....I hadn't thought of that one....hmmm that would make sense with the coming and going and how tired they have been. I'll have to look it up. Hopefully it is just the flu. They are all acting better today except my middle daughter said her legs hurt and she couldn't walk (she is outside running around now) and my middle son is still acting a tad lethargic but that is pretty normal for him. I'm feeling a bit run down and have a bit of a headache but that could easily be just because of the crazy week!

Tomorrow we are staying home to make sure we are recovered and I told hubby I have a ton of work to get done when he is home (he is working today). Hopefully I can get a bit caught up.

Hey speaking of "work" (I write) anyone want to share what their favorite magazines are? I'm making a list of magazines I want to subscribe to and/or look into writing for. I already have Hobby Farms and Mother Earth News on my list and I get MJF and Country living. What else? Any ideas? OR blogs that take guest posts? Figured y'all would be the best place to ask since we have a lot of the same interests (oh and also I already have Molly Green, From Scratch and The Old Schoolhouse on my list too!)

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1407 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1407 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2016 :  11:47:02 AM  Show Profile
I love love love Keepers at Home, Sabrina :) It's a magazine published quarterly by a Mennonite group and it is so encouraging and helpful - I just love it. If you would like to consider subscribing to it, you'd have to message me so I can get the info off to you as they only do snail mail.

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1501 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1501 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2016 :  2:20:45 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
I'm not sure I'll ever remember who all I need to reply to and I'm on my phone so if I forget somebody please forgive me!
Sabrina that was the biggest thing that sold me on mono was that my daughter was having severe knee pain.

how exciting to go see a movie and have real adult time! I've been wanting a mortar and pestle for so long its not even funny! Let me know what you pick out.

Joyce how long have you been using Charlotte Mason? I've just started using Charlotte Mason stuff this past school year and I'm just loving what all I'm learning and finding out!

Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1501 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1501 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2016 :  2:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
we are at the farm this weekend. It's a little bit chilly but we've been trying to get grass mowed and simple things like that. Speaking of chilly I made a pot of chili on the fire!

Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1501 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1501 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2016 :  2:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1407 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1407 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2016 :  3:57:59 PM  Show Profile
Alicia - thank you so much for posting the pic!! Looks so cozy :) :)
I've been using Charlotte Mason for about 3 1/2 years now. I just love love it!!

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2016 :  05:50:28 AM  Show Profile
What a great picture! I love it.

I had a lot of fun last night with Katie. The movie was nothing like I expected it to be. Based on a true story (but I never know how true that is) about a journalist covering the war in Afghanistan. Sort of deep subject matter for Tina Fey. We were both very surprised but we liked it. We went to a nice restaurant after. As some of you know (Sabrina, Joyce) I love my red meat so I had to get a steak... Lol.

We'll be at church for most of today. Jason sings in both services. I can hear him upstairs in his study singing right now. Sunday School, and a confirmand dinner afterward. The rest of the day I may devote to creativity. :)

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1407 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1407 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2016 :  09:51:58 AM  Show Profile
Fun Erin!! Glad you enjoyed your red meat...lol! :) Enjoy your Sunday!!

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 36 Gathered Up: Previous Topic 49 and under Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page