Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  06:41:34 AM  Show Profile
Most of you already know, I live on a Farm in my heart!! If you live in the suburbs, you just have to find Farm things to make it feel more real. Last Friday, I was poking around an Estate sale and found a small pie safe that was in pretty good shape. So I brought it home, cleaned it thoroughly, polished up the scuffs and gave it a new look. It won't fit in my smallish kitchen, but it was perfect in the spare bedroom where I have my desk and craft supplies. I wanted a small bookcase to keep my favorite resources near by and this pie safe has three deep shelves. Perfect!!

So, now the pie safe is my new Farmgirl Little Red School House Library. If you look closely, there is a small cross stitched pillow on the door of a red school house. I made it a gazillion years ago but it was the perfect "sign" for my new library. Inside are all of my MJF books, craft and knitting resources and a few vintage magazines from the 1940s. PLUS... the small drawer at the bottom of the doors holds all of my aprons now.

See the little oil lamp on the top right corner? This was originally a real oil lamp in my Mom's bedroom at their farm during the years 1927-1935. She had a pair of them for night lights in her upstairs bedroom. Later, she converted them to little electric lamps and they were in my bedroom on a small built in vanity that I used growing up. Now I have one of those silicone light bulbs that flickers like a lamp and it looks like a real oil lamp when it is turned on. Too fun!! Don't you love a good "find"??

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  07:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
That is such a super find, Winnie. I love it! Did you have to stain the pie safe and the tin inserts or were they that color when you found it. It cleaned up very well. Lucky you!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  07:16:21 AM  Show Profile
Winnie I am so happy for you. That's quite the find and perfect for a FarmGirl at Heart's office. One thing about vintage and country things they can be used in so many different ways and in any room in the house.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6448 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6448 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  08:00:17 AM  Show Profile
That is beautiful Winnie! I love Pie Safes, great find, enjoy your treasure!

Hugs,
Deb
Blessed in Colorado

"You must do the thing you think you can not do." Eleanor Roosevelt

Women are Angels,and when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We're flexible like that.

www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
www.Amazon.com/Blessed in Colorado
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  10:41:18 AM  Show Profile
What a great find! I like the details on the door. A perfect treasure to be your new library.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  5:12:23 PM  Show Profile
Linda, the pie safe came already stained and with the tin inserts. All I did was clean off the dirt, cobwebs and oil the wood up real good. I think it had been stored out in a barn somewhere for a long time and was really dirty and the wood was very dry. It soaked up the cleaning oil that is made with beeswax and the result was the shiny look you see here. I didn't do anything to the panels except use a damp cloth to wipe off the dirt and cobwebs.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2016 :  6:38:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh Winnie, I LOVE it! What a great find, and I love how you gussied her up! Reading your post, I felt like we are kindred spirits! I love knitting, books and anything from the forties.

What a treasure you found!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2016 :  1:12:44 PM  Show Profile
Thank-you everyone for your sweet comments! One of the great aspects of our community is to have a place to share our projects together and get feedback.

Nicole I am currently on a quest to learn more about 1900-1950. Each decade brought so many changes and interesting developments for our country. Since you love to knit, I have been working on knitting patterns from the Red cross Archives for both WWI and WWII. Knit for Victory has been a wonderful exploration and adventure for me. My friend recently gave me a pattern book of WWII ideas and I am trying to figure out what I can reasonably make. Women back then were able to knit well beyond my capabilities but there are a few patterns I might could do. It is on my list to do this summer!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2016 :  1:16:38 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, such a beautiful find! And, I love the way you are using it!!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2016 :  6:48:06 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
What fun, Winnie! I love some of the clothing styles of the 40s and 50s. And I'll bet the knitting patterns are also very interesting. Keep us posted on what you find.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  11:10:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh Winnie, what a great find! Your pie safe is absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for sharing!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

disTizmoi
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Suzy
Bentonville VA
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  04:21:26 AM  Show Profile
LOVE LOVE LOVE that you turned the pie safe into a Library and you have your mom's "oil" lamp to light the pages. Wonderful.

It is ME...Suzy!
Farmgirl #6922

"Oh my goodness...go play outside!" said her Mom
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  05:35:33 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful piece of furniture. Beautiful home it has found.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  9:58:49 PM  Show Profile
Winnie. I'm so glad you found this treasure. It looks beautiful in your home. Great find!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  12:17:27 PM  Show Profile
It is sure is pretty!!!!

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic New Pie Safe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page