Carely
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Carrie
Brookville IN
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2022 :  04:41:35 AM  Show Profile
I am currently reading Joyful Momentum. It's a book about creating or revitalizing women's ministry for Catholic parishes. I am finding it very informative and hope it will help as I try to develop a new women's ministry for working moms of school-age children. We seem to be the only group that isn't served right now.

Carrie

Farmgirl #8358
Member since March 23, 2021.

Rural Farmgirl dreaming of having a mini-farm of my own.

Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2022 :  6:14:15 PM  Show Profile

I decluttered some bookshelves today and rediscovered this beauty!! I’ve only ever thumbed through it but I’ve committed to reading it!! :)

Not sure why the picture turned…it’s not like that one my device!!

Karen :)

Edited by - Jokamartell on Feb 13 2022 6:15:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1744 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1744 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2022 :  3:10:57 PM  Show Profile
Reading where the craw dad's sing for bookclub.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2022 :  4:26:12 PM  Show Profile
I just finished reading the trilogy by Sigrid Undset about the fictional young maiden, Kristin Lavransdatter, in the 1330s. It is a wonderful story of faith, passion, family, and national pride. Plus it is taking place in the Middle Ages and the details about life are fascinating. I highly recommend this series if you enjoy stories set in a totally different era and place.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2022 :  5:28:56 PM  Show Profile
Marlene,

I don't read much fiction, but I really did enjoy that book!

I'm reading a book about ADD that I've already forgotten the title....LOL.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

Gijanedoe
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Deborah
Kirtland Ohio
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2022 :  08:15:58 AM  Show Profile
I have been studying the Constitution, and have learned that our Constitution is and has been under attack for decades, but no clear path to getting back to things being done correctly! Until recently! I found some books that explain how we citizens can take everything back without civil war. The “Tactical Civics” books are easy to read and give a complete plan to take things back!

Trust in the Lord, with all your heart...
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2022 :  12:40:02 PM  Show Profile
Marlene, that really was a marvelous book. The author, Delia Owens, and her then husband together wrote "Cry of the Kalahari" a wonderful documentary of their years studying lions on the dark continent. Her love of nature just exudes from her very being. And I found it so interesting that when she finally retired, she retired to Bonners Ferry, Idaho, just up the road from me.

Winnie, thanks for the recommendation. I think historical fiction is my favorite genre. And that sounds like a really good series I love reading about the middle ages in particular -- I'm a big time fan of Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth" series and have read the entire thing three times.

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2022 :  1:32:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi! I'm currently reading "Mankiller: A Chief and Her People. It's an autobiography of Wilma Mankiller, the first female Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation. I am enjoying reading it and learning some History from the Native American perspective. Wilma was influential in promoting rights for all people within her nation as well as women's righgts in this Country. Herstory is amazing!

Nancy 8352
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2022 :  07:02:03 AM  Show Profile
I am currently reading the Highland Witch by Susan Fletcher. I just finished Secrets of the Chocolate House. It is the second book in the series by Paula Brackston. Sooooo good!

Sherone

Lean on me, when you're not strong, And I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on, For it won't be long, 'Til I'm gonna need, Somebody to lean on.

Farmgirl Sister #93
FGOTM August 2021

Our Etsy Shops
http://www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

http://www.taylorstowels.etsy.com

http://www.tinytaylorhomestead.etsy.com

Our Thrive Life Store

http://www.tinytaylorhomestead.thrivelife.com

Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2022 :  04:22:03 AM  Show Profile
I just started reading the new book by Alan Hlad - A light beyond the trenches.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 17 2022 :  09:53:17 AM  Show Profile
Oh Karen, that is a beauty. I love that book. I also have her other book; The Kitchen Linens Book ... Amazing as well.

I love the depression era. I have since been given a huge bag of depression era linens from a customer (My day as a Quilt shop owner Fibre Junction) who attended one of my clubs on the depression era. They are in a box in the back of the closet. Sigh!

Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http:www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Edited by - ceridwen on May 19 2022 08:28:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 17 2022 :  09:56:23 AM  Show Profile
Not sure why, but I've developed a fascination with Maple Syrup. Being from Canada, I grew up on the stuff, but somehow I've become intrigued by it. I'm presently reading these two books.

Cheers!

Carole
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - May 17 2022 :  11:18:41 AM  Show Profile
Carole, if you are interested in good depression era reading, be sure to check out "The Four Winds" by Kristen Hannah. A marvelous story -- fiction but based on real occurrences during that time.
Also watch for another feed sack swap coming this fall. And when you get a chance, go back through and read the postings from the past feed sack swaps. Many fascinating stories, recipes, and depression era tidbits of information there.
When you go through your recently acquired sack of linens, I hope you will share photos and/or descriptions with us. What a treasure.
Farmgirl hugs,
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 18 2022 :  07:48:56 AM  Show Profile
Jean, thanks for the book suggestion.

The linens are quite the treasure. I was surprised when they were brought to me. The belongs to this person's aunt. Some are so stiff, starched I imagine. I'm surprised they have not attracted any kind of bugs. I need to research that at some point.

Carole
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9090 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9090 Posts

Posted - May 18 2022 :  08:44:25 AM  Show Profile
Winnie,
THAT SOUNDS LIKE A BOOK I WOULD LIKE. I looked it up on amazon , for the full three books in one it was more then a hundred dollars, even used ones. You better hand on the that one. Maybe my library can get it
for me. It sounds like a good one. I just finished reading A VOICE IN THE WIND last week. It was
also from that time period.
Nancy Jo

NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - May 19 2022 :  08:10:17 AM  Show Profile
I have been re-reading Jacqueline Winspear's, "Maisie Dobbs Mysteries" series. I got from my library the cd version for my husband to hear them driving to/from work and he loves them. I found I'm enjoying going back through the series as well.

Keep reading & sharing!
Dawn in IL

“May means long walks in the evenings, eating outside in the garden whenever possible, and lots of healthy, fresh salads to use up all the lovely summer veg that’s available.” – Sophie Morris
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - May 19 2022 :  6:51:44 PM  Show Profile
Carole, I had no idea there was another book by that author. I’m going to have to go check it out!! I love to thrift and always look for linens that have been stitched on. Thanks for sharing the title!! I love all things from this era. :)

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 20 2022 :  10:38:02 AM  Show Profile
My new Kim Diehl book came in ... Oh ... the simple joys of life ... A Latte and a great book ... lots of gorgeous projects.

Cheers!

Carole
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - May 21 2022 :  1:21:59 PM  Show Profile
I recently received this beauty in the mail. I just want to crawl right into the pages of the book!! So comfy and cozy!! Looking forward to creating some fun things and I wanted to share!!

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2654 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2654 Posts

Posted - May 26 2022 :  12:17:28 PM  Show Profile
I just recently finished "Clara's Kitchen" which was a mix of family history, WWII history and recipes of foods her family ate during the depression. Was such a fun and interesting read, quick read as well. Currently, I'm nearly finished with the book: Self Love Experiment. This has been a great read, it's a shame more of us aren't taught to love ourselves growing up like we are taught to love our neighbor. I'm pretty certain most of us could be better at loving ourselves. I'm trying.

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - May 26 2022 :  12:48:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh my, some great sounding reads there. I must look up "Clara's Kitchen" -- that's right up my alley. And the new crafty books look fabulous with some neat projects that just might lend themselves to another Scrap Happy swap. Any interest?
hugs,
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - May 26 2022 :  8:11:14 PM  Show Profile
April, I’m gonna have to look for that book. I just finished Corrie ten Boom’s The Hiding Place. It was very good but is a true story and quite heavy….so I’ve decided I need some lighter reading.

Jean, I would totally be in for a scrap swap!!! :)

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - May 27 2022 :  07:25:21 AM  Show Profile
Karen, that Bowl Me Over looks like a fun crafty one. Will have to look into it.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9090 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9090 Posts

Posted - May 27 2022 :  10:29:21 AM  Show Profile

Winnie,
I just finished book two in the " FRANCINE RIVERS" SERIES. "VOICE IN THE WIND" AND
" ECHO IN THE DARKNESS". I just ordered her 3rd. book in the series. Really
keeps me busy. Both of the first two had almost five hundred pages. Learned a lot
and sure held my interest.
Nancy Jo

NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 27 2022 :  11:40:52 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Nancy, those books must be special to have caught your attention and not intimidated by 500 page stories! I have added them to my ever growing list of books to read. There is simply not enough time to explore every wonderful author!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Reading Room: Previous Topic What's Everyone Reading? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page