queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  5:55:24 PM  Show Profile
Will DE kill Colorado potato beetles and squash bugs? I picked up food grade DE for treating rugs for fleas. What other bugs will it kill? Can I feed it to my cats for tape worms?

Thanks in advance.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  9:42:35 PM  Show Profile
Lorena - YES! It will get both, for sure. I've been using this for the past few years with great success. Just remember it kills the good bugs, too. That being the case, I try to be very careful about where I sprinkle it. I bought a little accordian-type powder duster which I fill with the DE and then I spray directly on the bugs as well as lightly on the plant and fruits. I had a small problem with squash bugs this past week and sprayed it right on them. The nymphs were dead in seconds. The adults took a little longer, but they died, too (This happens because their shells are harder and it takes a little longer for them to lose their fluids and become dehydrated.) Oh! And recently a squash vine borer was doing a number on my pumpkin plant.. I stuck a sharp knife into the hole and poked around a little bit to try and kill it, then I took a couple of heaping tablespoons of the diatomaceous earth and plopped them right down on the scene of the crime... No problems since, and the plant is thriving!!! The added bonus is that it is very good for plants. Here is where I buy it from: https://www.earthworkshealth.com/ They have several links that may interest you. Hope this helps! Good luck! Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2016 :  07:12:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks nini.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page