janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2016 :  09:25:37 AM  Show Profile
I would love to see this "Farmgirl Fashion" section develop into a lively forum. So I will start...

My grandmother taught me how to sew the summer before sixth grade and I have been sewing ever since. From shirts, jeans, skirts, dresses, wool coat, prom dresses, bridesmaid dresses, Halloween costumes, home decoration, to stuff animals and most recently I have been venturing into quilt making. To date I have finished three quilts and I am currently working on my fourth. As much as I love quilts, I find other sewing projects a much faster process. The only thing I don't know how to do is sewing on knits, but I hope to conquer my fear this fall as I have signed up for three serger sewing classes at a local sewing art center.

Is there anyone else on Farmgirl Connection sewing their own clothes or clothes for their family?

Jana
http://www.emhardt.com

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2016 :  1:11:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jana,

I sew. However, I took a break from sewing clothes for many years and am back to working on my first project. It is an A-line skirt. The pattern says "easy" but the directions have not been. I just sewed the waistband on this morning, and now have to attach the invisible zipper. I have an invisible zipper foot but have not tried it on my machines as of yet. Will see.

I've done a lot of craft sewing. I especially love to sew up pillows, and have them for each holiday. Easy peasy. I have also sewed hot pads and aprons, and now am trying to get back into sewing clothes. It seems I have forgotten a lot of it, but it is coming back to me. I have made in the past lots of dresses and curtains, and knit dresses though I remember it was kind of a pain as I don't have a serger.

I've never done a quilt but I have done quilted beginner table runners that turned out cute. You sound immensely talented!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2016 :  2:58:43 PM  Show Profile
Over the years I have a had a love/hate relationship with my sewing machine, especially when it comes to the tension adjustments. But it is a skill you never forget. Funny you mention pillows, I just made four pillows for my daughters first grade class library corner, along with six milk carton stools. I love sewing but sometimes it is hard to keep motivated, especially during the spring/summer with gardening, walking, traveling and other outdoor activities.

Zippers are easy if you baste them in, but buttonholes are my pet peeve.

I noticed you have knitting listed on your signature line. I never learned how to knit or crochet, but my other daughter has started to learn and made a couple of scarfs.

Jana

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2016 :  3:37:48 PM  Show Profile
I love love love to sew for my children, but sadly just do not seem to have the time right now! My hubby harasses me for my material collection... I'm hoping to put it all to use one day! I don't sew much for myself, however. I have yet to find a pattern that I feel looks right on me. Honestly, if I would lose weight, a lot of them would look a whole lot better. Maybe one day :) I don't have near the experience as you! I do own a serger and love love love it!!! I could probably do a lot more with it, if I would take the time to learn, but for right now I use it for seams and rolled edges on cloth napkins. I have a button foot for my regular macine and do not mind buttons at all... but hate zippers, hahaha.

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2016 :  7:20:46 PM  Show Profile
Shannon, I can relate with your fabric collection, I love, love, love fabric. My husband and one daughter are constantly nagging me about it being out of hand. I decided that after I finish my current project, I was going to make everyone something for Christmas using up some of my collection. As for finding a pattern you like, if you have something in your clothing collection that you love, you could carefully take it apart and use the pieces as a pattern.

Jana

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2016 :  7:22:28 PM  Show Profile
I have sewn since 8th grade, that is when they taught it in our junior high. To bad they do not teach it anymore I think it is a good skill for both boys and girls. I love to sew. if I do not do a little every day I do not feel like I have done something worthwhile. I know that sounds funny but I really am lost without doing something on it every day. When my kids were young I did sew them clothes till they got old enough they did not want homemade ones anymore!! I have also sewn for my grandkids but, usually just PJ's and fun stuff cause my daughter likes them to wear what she picks out and she is good at finding a bargain so, I just sew fun stuff. I have started teaching my youngest 2 granddaughters to sew and make quilts. I have done so many quilts in my lifetime and given them away to either charity or the grandgirls. I have been backing off here lately cause I started beading and have just been having fun making bracelets so far. But I still sew a little every day. it may take me a long time to get things done but I feel like if I work on it every day, at least I am moving forward with my projects. I am doing the Block of the month here on MJF's and I have so far kept up, and like the squares the girls have picked out. So, that one will take me a year to finish but that's ok, I do not have anyone in mind to get it, so, I might as well just go slow and have fun with it.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2016 :  7:41:09 PM  Show Profile
Beverly, I agree that it is too bad that sewing is no longer taught in school anymore. As a girl growing up in the late sixties early seventies, the girls could only take sewing and home economics and boys could only take woodworking, industrial art during the school year, but summer school we could choose any classes and I did take the boy designated classes. Both my girls love to cook because I always had them helping me, but neither wanted to learn how to sew, although they are both great with crafts thanks to Pinterest. I hope sewing will not be a lost art! I also sewed for my daughters as they were growing until middle school when it was not cool to wear home made clothing. But I did continue to make them Halloween costumes, which I still do for them at the age of 30 and 26. I can't wait until they have children, because I will spoil them with quilts, clothing and stuffed animals. In the mean time I sew quilts for my niece and god children. I wish I was discipline enough to sew a little each day, unfortunately I work like a mad women trying to finish project in record time and then take long breaks until the next deadline (birthday, Halloween, Christmas or Valentines day).

Jana

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2016 :  09:19:18 AM  Show Profile
I had no idea that sewing is no longer taught on schools! I homeschool my children, and each will learn to sew! My 12 year old already sews using my machines :) As for taking apart something to figure out how to make a pattern and sew it - you are so right!!! I've never thought to do that with clothing! I've done it with an apron and it worked beautifully! Might need to try that soon! Once we move, I am hoping to have a craft room to be able to do a lot more sewing!!!

Funny thing that you guys can appreciate it... you know how you can measure yardage of fabric by stretching it from your fingers to your nose... my hubby harasses me and tells me all I am really doing is smelling my fabric and getting "my high" LOL!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2016 :  09:51:34 AM  Show Profile
Shannon, thanks for the funny comment and I do appreciate the humor!

Jana

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2016 :  12:34:09 PM  Show Profile
I have heard of an interesting way to get a quilt done. It is called "Seam A Day". A person would spend a long weekend cutting all the pieces necessary and stacking them in order so that they can be easily picked up and worked a seam at a time. Don't have an hour to work on a few blocks? How about spending the 5 minutes the kids take to get ready for an outing to sew up part of a block. In a couple months all the blocks will be done and a large amount of time can be spent getting the next stage ready. It is good to have a machine dedicated to just this project.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2016 :  12:53:18 PM  Show Profile
I never took Home Ec., but I took Shop (or Industrial Arts, as our school called it) all 4 years of high school. I used my mom's old Singer, and sewed easy patterns. My favorite pattern was owned by my sister, it was a newsboy's style cap that she had made out of a soft corduroy. I made mine out of denim. After having kids, I made jumper dresses for my daughters for Easter, and shorts for my son. I also made Halloween costumes for them, until it wasn't cool. Now I make pillow covers, and am trying to make arm rest covers for my husband's office chair. We also need new cushions for our camper, and I am looking forward to making those.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Go to Top of Page

rachelbee
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Rachel
Carmel IN
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2016 :  1:21:54 PM  Show Profile
I was into apparel sewing in high school and college, I took a few years break when I was in an apartment and didn't have room for it, but now that I am in a house again, I've taken up quilting. However I am starting to miss having clothes that I made. I'm hoping to improve on knits specifically. When I wear jeans my legs break out in hives, so I've been trying to give my legs a break this summer by wearing more skirts- and what better way to get back into custom apparel than to start with a few easy skirts!

Rachel, #6992
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2016 :  6:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
When I was in HS in the sixties, we were required to take home ec all 4 years. We also were required to make a suit that was fully lined and other challenging pieces. I learned a lot. I was surprised when all my children had to make was a pillow. As a summer and after school job I worked in a blouse factory. One summer all I did was sew darts. That's what made me become a nurse! LOL! Everyone in our area worked in those blouse factories. They are long gone. Really sad because people supported their families with those jobs. Now all those factories are vacant. How did this country let everything get shipped overseas?

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2016 :  6:40:41 PM  Show Profile
Yes, so said that so much of our factories and customer service jobs have gone overseas. Just like it is so said that fewer and fewer children are learning basic skills like sewing, cooking, woodworking, electric work, etc. If you get the opportunity you should watch the documentary called "The True Cost," all about the clothing industry, it is an eye opener.

Jana

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2016 :  7:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Jana, where did you see it? Pbs or another channel? I want to see it.

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2016 :  7:51:34 PM  Show Profile
The documentary is available on Netflex.

Jana

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2016 :  7:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Jana.

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2016 :  06:11:17 AM  Show Profile
I wish they still taught home ec, too. That was my favorite class and I learned so much. My daughter had "cooking" last year in middle school. The recipes were like "Pancakes: Measure pancake mix. Add water." Spaghetti: "Boil water. Add noodles. Warm up jar of sauce". I was disgusted. Nothing homemade AT ALL.

Sewing is not taught at all anymore in school, but kids should know how to do simple mending and sewing on a button. Sigh...

My clothes sewing came back to me pretty well. Like riding a bike...finished a dress and am finishing my skirt. Just need to do the hem.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2016 :  09:35:00 AM  Show Profile
I am also very sad that Home Ec and Shop are not taught anymore. I believe that many kids would do better over all in school if they had a hands-on class to participate in. I had heard from other kids my age that their schools rotated both boys and girls through both Shop and Home Ec. I had to fight for placement in Shop in 8th grade. They had me take the MMPI and the Interest Inventory. I believe the guidance counselor thought I was a lesbian which was completely bad in the 70's. I attended Shop and Art that year and never took them again. I had heard that in the junior high Home Ec class the teachers had favorites in the class and the other girls received less favorable grades. In Shop class, I used the materials to make some girl-type accessories. I was the only girl in the class and my classmates SEEMED okay with that. However, my beautifully painted and finished wooden bracelet was found smashed in the finishing room, all my metal pieces went missing and my most complicated mechanical drawing of a washer with concave and convex arcs was destroyed. Once, upon returning to my drafting desk, it was set to the highest angle (which I never did) and the bottom stop had been disengaged. Luckily, my drafting slate, unfinished drawing, T-square, right triangle, pencils and eraser did not fall to the floor. I said nothing about this to the other students. I told the teacher but asked him not to make a big deal about it. I believe I did the right thing.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2016 :  09:54:16 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I started learning to sew by joining 4-H as soon as I was old enough (At the time, a LONG time ago, that was at age 9). I did 4-H projects every year until I graduated from high school and by that time I was making all my own clothes, including my wardrobe for college. When I was a senior in high school (1965-66) we didn't have Home Ec. It was called Family Living and, I believe it was required for one semester. There was cooking, sewing, etc. etc. There were boys in the class and our instructor had ME teach the boys how to sew! One guy chose swimming trunks with a zipper . . . that was an experience for him!

I've sewn just everything and anything there is to sew, including my hubby's dress pants and jackets and ties. All my kids clothes, costumes for play, outfits including cumberbunds and bow ties for high school choirs. Things for my house, camper, trailer, kitchen, even a sail for my hubby's small catamaran boat. Upholstery, curtains, cushions, quilts of every size . . . yup, just about everything. I've made literally HUNDREDS of aprons for my "Farm Fresh Aprons" business.

And, after ALL these years and sewing on all kinds of sewing machines, most of which had a problem, I FINALLY have a sewing machine that is a dream! A Bernina 930 Electronic and I think these were made in the 80s.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Aug 20 2016 09:56:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2016 :  3:35:30 PM  Show Profile
I am so impressed that there are still people out there who know how to sew and love it so much as I do. I was so afraid it was a dying craft.

Jana

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2016 :  4:44:44 PM  Show Profile
There is a new generation of young women who are embracing handcraft once again. They are also in the forefront of the simplicity and ecological living movement. These ladies get down on their hands and knees to scrub floors, do their own repairs and make their own clothes (sometimes out of thrift store finds). Many of those same ladies are on this site. We are the new wave of home economists.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Janice
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Janice
Vancouver WA
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2017 :  10:13:40 AM  Show Profile
I found these beautiful hand embroidered pillow cases at an estate sale a few months back. I cut up an old pair of knit pant for a pattern. I cut the top of the pillow case seam and with my old pants I use as the pattern part to cut the crotch. My Mother taught me to sew and I also took sew in Middle or High School. Have not sew any thing in a while since .... Well I did make some quilts for our bed and my sons bed but, that was about 10 - 15 years ago. I have done an occasion mending. I sure do miss sew clothes for my self. So when I saw this pillow case I knew they were ment for me. Here the picture of my pantaloom that I made from two pillow cases.

Janice
Vintage Artist
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2017 :  10:50:00 AM  Show Profile
Great job restyling the pillow cases into these charming pantaloons.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2017 :  7:06:22 PM  Show Profile
Janice, looks great! We never really forget our skills.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2017 :  8:53:26 PM  Show Profile
I love to sew, clothes, anything. Mostly quilts now and blouses for myself. Glad to see this in the forum. I, too, love my old Bernina. Learned to sew on a Singer treadle. Still have one! Discovered a good source of linen and will be making a Japanese working coat, like an apron, and a new sleeveless blouse. If only our days were longer than 24 hours.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Back Door Farm Girls Chapter
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Sewing Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: