Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Found my bit of Heaven, the saga begins!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own:  Found my bit of Heaven, the saga begins! Next Topic
Page: of 23

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2021 :  7:05:22 PM  Show Profile
Goodness---such decisions. Over whelming for sure. I would finish the denim quilt for your son. It is wonderful. I made a square patch denim quilt once and no more for me. I tied it and the mice ate the ties off up in our cabin shack. This one looks hard and I congratulate you.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2208 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2208 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2021 :  3:41:37 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I finished the rows and will sew them together this weekend. Aaron lives in Florida so I won't put in batting.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2208 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2208 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2021 :  1:47:54 PM  Show Profile
The storms that barreled through Friday night just broke a few branches here. The rain was welcome.
Last week we had guys install our new kitchen cabinets. Here is the before:
And here are the new ones(so far):

As with any project there were a few snags. When they measured earlier, I didn't tell them that we were keeping the countertop so you may notice that the upper cabinet to the left of the stove is a bit too big. They are ordering a smaller one and will complete everything when it arrives. The sink had some issues when they tried to put it back, and we needed a new faucet and water lines.
Some of the food and equipment has found a home and some is still in boxes. But I am organized enough to make a few batches of Christmas cookies for our church.
I forgot how much fun it is to make cookies! When the kids were little I would bake all the time.
There is still wallpaper to remove
It is heavy embossed stuff. Then there's painting. I am thinking of a light yellow.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2021 :  6:18:54 PM  Show Profile
I could see this sponge painted.

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2208 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2208 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2021 :  5:32:59 PM  Show Profile

Tonight I began to idly pick at the wallpaper, then I gathered a spray bottle of water, washcloth, and putty knife. It came off easily, and I'd finish the whole thing if it wasn't time to turn in.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2021 :  4:04:15 PM  Show Profile
Lookin Good Child---I approve. And I thought you said your mom in law was ninety---if so I will trade her places. I may have read the wrong post---but if she is 90---WOW!

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2208 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2208 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2021 :  4:16:36 PM  Show Profile
Yes, she's 91 and still spry. Her apartment in the walkout basement has a kitchen, living room, bathroom and bedroom.
I pulled the rest of the wallpaper off last night. I'm thinking pale yellow for 3 walls and a deeper yellow for the accent wall. Eventually.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2021 :  1:48:49 PM  Show Profile
Well--if I live to be 91---I am going to look like living hell for sure---like Mick Jagger or Keith Richards on a bad day! I love yellow kitchen walls! My kitchen is yellow and I love it. It is north facing---so dark and gloomy in the winter. I loved my white kitchen cabinets---but after 20 years they yellowed down so bad that I painted them a beautiful shade of green. It's a sunny feeling kitchen---I did have green walls---but that eventually got depressing.

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2208 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2208 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2021 :  05:41:52 AM  Show Profile

Christmas waffles!

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2021 :  12:14:04 AM  Show Profile
Those waffles look absolutely delicious, Vanessa! We had French Toast toasties for Christmas breakfast. Basically, I make French Toast from fresh sourdough, then make it into ham and cheese toasties. Sometimes we will make them with pastrami, sauerkraut and egg mayonnaise. What did you have for Christmas lunch? We had an assortment of my Grandmother's recipes. Mum made the Marmalade-glazed ham and the cauliflower with white sauce. I made Grandma's Orange and Almond cake. My sister contributed too. It was a nice dedication to my Grandmother and her love of recipes.

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2208 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2208 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2021 :  05:16:35 AM  Show Profile
My mother-in-law ordered a 4 person turkey dinner from Bob Evans, a homestyle food type restaurant. We have enough for Christmas Eve and Christmas day. On Sunday I made prime rib. It's easy to cook, but the meat is expensive.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2208 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2208 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2021 :  06:42:45 AM  Show Profile

I've been saving the hair in my brush all year. This doesn't include the hair that fell on the floor or in the shower.
In Victorian times ladies would make jewelry or other crafts from their hair. In fact, scrapbooks and other repurposing crafts were popular during that time. My goal for the new year is to reuse as much as I can, and avoid buying new items as much as I can.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9247 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9247 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2021 :  02:14:44 AM  Show Profile
Vanessa,
We did our kitchen over. The only thing we are having done by someone else is the countertop. We wanted to match the original granite countertop and it was still available. They install it on the 3rd. We didn't want to replace the old cabinets so we bought new unfinished. We could no longer get the stain they used, the original cabinets were custom made, so we painted them all white. One side of the kitchen was empty space so we added 5 bottom cabinets and 5 wall cabinets. I like the look with the black countertop and stainless steel fridge and dishwasher, though I think I'd prefer all black appliances to match the stove. Maybe later.
Your mother in law's walk out sounds lovely.

I don't think I'd care for crafts with hair in them, but maybe that's just me. I have seen some done though.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 30 2021 02:18:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2208 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2208 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2022 :  05:25:17 AM  Show Profile

We finally got snow yesterday and now my bird buffet has more customers.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2208 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2208 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2022 :  5:14:17 PM  Show Profile
Another home project. My mother in law's bedroom had carpeting, which was beginning to smell. Sweetie pulled it out, and we got the tongue and groove vinyl planks. The directions were vague-my advice is to get peel and stick tiles, it would be easier than trying to wrestle the planks in. I ache in places I haven't for a long time. I'm getting too old for this.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2208 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2208 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2022 :  09:07:40 AM  Show Profile
Some people never learn. Here we are again, on a cold day, pulling off carpet and linoleum in an unheated sunroom. We discovered a water damage spot so we replaced that board. Sweetie doesn't read instructions but I do. We're painting half the floor with sealer and need to wait till it's dry.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Tchr66
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Terri
Clarington Ohio
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2022 :  1:20:26 PM  Show Profile
That is a beautiful room. Keep up the great work.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord
Joshua 24:15
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2208 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2208 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2022 :  03:09:40 AM  Show Profile

Oops, I forgot to post the final picture.. It was easy to do once we got going, but my knees complained a bit. Now if our little old lady dog makes a puddle it won't be a big problem.
We are still waiting on one kitchen cabinet to arrive, then they'll install 4 upper cabinets. I've added handles to many drawers and cabinets, but need to get a few more. Most kitchen things have found their home, and the additional cabinets will help spread it out.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6705 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6705 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2022 :  2:03:37 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa, it’s all coming along so lovely. Keep up the great work! I love the flooring you are putting down.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2208 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2208 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2022 :  07:33:56 AM  Show Profile
Wait till you see the kitchen! Yesterday I was inspired to prime the dark red walls, so I cleared off the decorations, washed them, then went at it. I also covered the green paint that was under the wallpaper I removed earlier. I need to add that my sweetie didn't lift a finger, except to pull out some picture hangers that were up high. He is impressed by my energy and if I do this well, maybe he'll let me paint the interior of our camper (it's so blah!). I don't have a picture because the kitchen is a mess and I'm not Susie Homemaker.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2208 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2208 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2022 :  12:20:48 PM  Show Profile

It was so cold today, so I spent the morning painting a second coat of primer on the kitchen walls. My sweetie bought a gallon of light yellow and a quart of darker yellow paint. I'll finish it tomorrow.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2022 :  1:28:30 PM  Show Profile
Happy Painting vanessa. It is all turning out great.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2208 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2208 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2022 :  12:36:48 PM  Show Profile

I finally knuckled down and painted the 4th kitchen wall. Now it glows! 3 walls are a buttery yellow but the last one is a marigold yellow. Sweetie also got a gas stove for me - just waiting for installation.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2208 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2208 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2022 :  1:08:49 PM  Show Profile
Sweetie and I did some parenting today for our daughter Caroline. From 8 am to 4 pm we assessed the things that needed to be done, went to Lowe's, ate at Bob Evans, fixed a door hinge, pulled out a medicine cabinet, assembled an over the toilet cabinet, installed blinds on 4 windows, put in a mesh dog door, and stapled material over a ripped spot on a sofa. Tried to put in weatherstripping around a door, but it wouldn't close so took it out.
Time to relax!

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754

Edited by - Audra Rose on Feb 26 2022 1:10:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2208 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2208 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2022 :  06:13:03 AM  Show Profile

Last night I was at Farm and Family night in Maysville. It was sponsored by Farm Service Agency and extension offices. There were lots of businesses and agencies handing out information and goodies. My favorite was the Maysville extension pffice, which handed out seed packets. I attended 2 classes on gardening and got more seeds. Ready for garden season!

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 A Farm of My Own:  Found my bit of Heaven, the saga begins! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page