Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Books
 Book Ideas
 A more contemporary Foxfire series
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Book Ideas: Previous Topic A more contemporary Foxfire series Next Topic  

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  07:44:17 AM  Show Profile
When I was in high school in the 70s (show how old I am!) we had to do interviews on people in the community that did what we would call self sustaining activities or lost arts. I happen to interview a couple that went to old dumps and dug for antiques. It was amazing what they found. They also hunted every Sunday afternoon for arrow heads. Their collection was stunning. Actually the lady still lives in our town. I know others learned how to make butter, tan hides, etc. I would love to see a series of small books that teach self sustaining skills. I would love to know how to make and use a meat smoker, a bread oven, make beef jerky or summer sausage, darn socks and mend clothing, anything solar, make your own radio, buy and season a cast iron frying pan, hunt for different herbs and roots that are safe to eat, or anything that could prepare a person to be off the grid. Something similar to Storey Publications but using any current info, tool, or product to help become self sufficient.

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  07:50:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kem! I have been wanting the same thing here. I am somewhat a 'mini-prepper' and would really like to know how to do these things and since I couldn't find any current publications on the market ( I have the old series of Foxfire books!!) I began to research the how to's. I have been finding a lot of information here and there and decided to print the findings, like my Cherokee in ground oven repairs, holistic medicines, etc. It's coming together slowly but I do have a nice notebook with tabs to separate the categories! JUST IN CASE the electricity goes out and I have no computer! ;)

Farmgirl #7703
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  12:42:58 PM  Show Profile
Dianna that is a great start. What is a Cherokee in ground oven?
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  6:20:30 PM  Show Profile
Evening Kem! I apologize, I said 'Cherokee' and it is a 'Dakota' in ground smokeless oven. I have tried this and it works!

You can also build a solar box oven!!! Easy instructions! :)

Farmgirl #7703
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2017 :  6:51:41 PM  Show Profile
Diane, Love this kind of stuff. Will have to try it next summer.
Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic A more contemporary Foxfire series Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page