New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Chicken Tortilla Soup Next Topic  

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  08:45:25 AM  Show Profile
Since I'm making this for the third time, thought I'd share: The original recipe was in the Feb Country Home but we like FLAVOR so here's the tweaked version!

1 lg. onion chopped
1/4@ green, red and yellow peppers, chopped
1 -2 Tbsp. cooking oil
1 TBsp. ground Cumin
1 TBsp. ground coriander
1 32oz Organic Chicken Broth (Trader Joe's)
1 28 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes ( home canned is fine, just pulse in food processor to reduce bulk)
3/4 cup corn (I use frozen)
2 4 oz. cans green chiles
2 -4 cups shredded cooked, shredded chicken, seasoned with fajita spice

In large pan, sautee onion and peppers in oil until tender. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, chicken, corn, green chiles, and spices.
Simmer for 15 minutes, season with salt and black pepper. Continue simmering or serve. This can be made a day ahead and reheated to serve, the flavours seem to blend nicely.

Preheat hot oven (375-400).Cut tortillas into strips, place tortillas on non stick cookie sheet and spray with cooking spray, sprinkle with 1-2 tsp. fajita seasoning. Place in oven for 5-10 minutes to crisp and remove.

Serve soup, and top w/ tortillas and shredded Monterrey Jack cheese and /or with a dollop of guacamole and sour cream.
Or if you want the lowfat version skip guac and sour cream and squeeze some lime wedges into the soup. Happy eating!

with a happy heart

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  7:42:28 PM  Show Profile
Since you mentioned Trader Joe's chicken broth, have you tried their canned corn? It's the best ever and less pricey than Niblets. Think it's 69 cents a can. My sister used to take a case home to TN with her whenever she was in CA to visit. We waited forever to get a store in Reno and it's always crowded. Xlnt products at better than supermarket prices. Lots of organics for those who buy only organic.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  8:23:29 PM  Show Profile
Bramble! This is the magazine that had the recipe for homemade tortilla strips (and chips)....I've been thinking about this almost every day, trying to remember where I saw it. Lesson to self: I get too many magazines!!!!

Thanks for sharing this recipe--sounds good and I imagine I can smell it simmering!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  10:14:04 AM  Show Profile
Brqmble, BIG HUGS to you for sharing the recipe! Certainly easier than having us all over for dinner (but less fun, too; ha!). Bon appetit to everyone. Nance
Go to Top of Page

Naturecraft
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Cheryl
Loveland CO
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  07:58:41 AM  Show Profile
bramble-
I just found this recipe. I love chicken tortilla soup! I am going to make it this weekend. YUM, sounds good, wish I had some for lunch today.
Thanks,
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  11:26:54 AM  Show Profile
Hey Cheryl,

Me too! I just printed it off. Sounds delish. Thank you, Bramble.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  12:30:33 PM  Show Profile
Here's our version of Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup

This makes a huge batch and obviously can be cut in half or quartered. All of the ingredients can be adjusted to what you have on hand and your families likes. I am a “dump cook”, meaning a little of this, some of that. So this recipe is not exact, just have fun and enjoy.
I pressure canner at 10 lbs. of pressure for 1 ½ hours. This made all the soup our family could eat for two meals and 14 quarts for the pantry.
My sister-in-law once made a pumpkin soup for us. Though it was unusual, it is the perfect compliment to a mildly spicy soup. Sautéing the spices with the onion and garlic brings out the essential oils and flavor.
We serve this in bowl and everyone put in their own crushed tortilla chips, cheddar cheese or sour cream. Along with a green salad this makes a great meal.

10 lbs thighs 1 ½ to 2 gallons water
Cook over a medium heat until the meat falls from the bone. Then remove the chicken and set aside to cool.

Sauté in a little oil until soft and flavorful:
4 large onions, chopped 1 head of garlic cloves, minced
1 Tablespoon cumin 3 Tablespoons chili powder

Add:
Chicken bouillon to taste 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
4 cups chopped pumpkin or winter squash 1- #10 can diced tomatoes and juice
3 green peppers, chopped 3 medium zucchini, coarsely chopped
Cook until all vegetables are tender.

Add:
2 large bunched cilantro, chopped 1 quart corn
1 quart cooked kidney beans

Adjust seasoning and serve.