Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I tried the Cornbread Recipe in MJF book.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I tried the Cornbread Recipe in MJF book. Next Topic  

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17061 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17061 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2017 :  1:35:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh how fun,, and my kitchen smells wonderful,,, today I decided to try out the cast iron skillet recipe in the MaryJane's Cast Iron cookbook. And it turned out Great!

I did modify the recipe a bit, but still worked out.. cuz I like really sweet cornbread...

book...

recipe...

setting up the ingredients... I used milk in place of buttermilk and I used sweet unsalted butter.

adding the honey...

in the oven it went...

Oh Yummmm!

all done! this is going to go well with the pot roast at my daughter's house today...

I am looking forward to getting the reno in the kitchen done so I can test out more skillet recipes...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17061 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17061 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2017 :  1:40:42 PM  Show Profile
oh,, I forgot to mention,, I used my granny's 10" skillet... I inherited both her 8" and 10" skillets...

Oh and also,,, I rubbed oil all around the skillet and then, using a cheese grater,,, I grated butter all over the bottom of the skillet before adding the batter and baking. I just always have to tinker with recipes as well as instructions... lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2017 :  06:35:02 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I have also tried this recipe and it is delicious!! Isn't this cast iron cookbook so fun!! There are so many things to try and I love the ease and simplicity of just baking and serving it all in my Mama's cast iron skillet. Another winner recipe is the one for pumpkin rolls......you CANNOT be happy eating just one!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7448 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7448 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2017 :  07:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I need to try both of those recipes, Winnie. Got the cookbook, now need to cook.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month April 2017
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6829 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6829 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2017 :  08:09:24 AM  Show Profile
Grace your cornbread is beautiful. Yes, cornbread can be beautiful.

I make my cornbread in a 9" iron skillet I received as a wedding gift for first marriage in 1964. Needless to say the skillet has lasted longer than the marriage. lol

I heat the skillet on top of stove - add 1/4 - 1/2" olive oil; fresh or dry bay leaves; add batter. Put in oven at 425. The olive oil will come up the sides and make them crispy crunchy like the bottom.

I prefer making the batter with no flour or sugar like my mother did but in a pinch I use store bought mixes that do have flour and sugar.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6764 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6764 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2017 :  12:42:30 PM  Show Profile
Grace, your cornbread looks absolutely delicious! I love cornbread and I can't wait to try this recipe!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17061 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17061 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2017 :  3:07:54 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sara,, what a great tip about pre-heating the skillet..
The fun thing about cornbread is,, it can be tweeked to match the meal.. if you want a South of the Boarder flavor,, add chilis.. something to go with Italian, add bay leaves... sweet, add honey... etc..
I have both the 8 & 10" skillet... now I am thinking about getting a cast iron Dutch Oven...to take camping, as well as use at home...

Now I want to try the peanut butter drizzeled Brownie,,, and the pumpkin rolls!!! yum yum yum!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I tried the Cornbread Recipe in MJF book. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page