Author HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Composting Next Topic  

RNchicklet
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Robin
Dagsboro DE
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2018 :  4:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Send RNchicklet a Yahoo! Message
Getting ready to start composting! Have chicken manure and pine shavings from coop bedding. Any how-to's and ideas for inexpensive compost holders for outside would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Happy chickens lay the nicest eggs!

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6792 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6792 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2018 :  4:28:25 PM  Show Profile
Robin I'll tell you how I am composting but it's not conventional. I'm single, 76 years old, live in a small house on a small lot so I do things the way I can to get it done. This year I had 4 raised beds built so I no longer need five large plastic pots. 2' tall - 2' wide I am composting in them. Layers of kitchen parings, last year's leaves, and a sprinkle of old potting soil. Keep them topped off with leaves. When I fill one pot I start on another. I am working on third pot. Will not turn them till next spring. Will see then how they did.

I keep a large vintage enamel bowl on kitchen counter to catch all the parings. I'm always drying something or roasting veggies in the oven so there are always parings.

I have bags of leaves from last year that will eventually turn to leaf mold so they had a year head start composting. Looking forward to seeing how others compost. I may learn about adding something else to my compost pots.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2018 :  4:36:55 PM  Show Profile

Sara I think you have a lot of great ideas!!!

Hugs!

Judy

God Has Been So Good To Me!!!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2018 :  5:00:59 PM  Show Profile
I have been taking what is done in the garden and digging a trench putting in the pulled plants and any thing I have from canning and the kitchen just any thing and then covering it back over. When I had chickens I would take the straw and bedding and chicken droppings and spread it out over the garden by spring viola every thing had decomposed gone into the garden and I started all over. Remember chicken manure is very HOT, to much to just put on live plants.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2018 :  5:05:50 PM  Show Profile
I used cinderblock for mine. It is four blocks square, two high. I put my coop cleanout, grass clippings, veggie peelings, etc. It has worked pretty well. I keep woody debris and weeds out as much as possible. The chickens help me work it.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

RNchicklet
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Robin
Dagsboro DE
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2018 :  4:36:34 PM  Show Profile  Send RNchicklet a Yahoo! Message
Ladies, thanks so much for the great ideas and information! I shared with hubby your ideas and since we have a number of raised gardens (I am 59 and he is 61), we will be using Sara and Diana's ideas for the raised beds, and Lenora's idea for the concrete block composting in the back yard. All we have to do is get some cinderblocks!

Happy chickens lay the nicest eggs!
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2018 :  5:46:46 PM  Show Profile
I've got plenty. Come on down and get some. Stay safe with this weather heading up the coast.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

RNchicklet
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Robin
Dagsboro DE
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2018 :  6:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Send RNchicklet a Yahoo! Message
Thanks to everyone and my dear husband we are now officially composting! The cinderblocks are working out great! With the recycling we do, we are wasting very little and sending much less to the landfill!

Robin
Farmgirl Sister # 7712
God Bless America!
Happy hens lay the nicest eggs!
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2019 :  4:31:54 PM  Show Profile
I have not started a composting pile yet but do intend to. I have old horse manure that has been in the barn since before we bought the place. I cleaned all four stalls out and spread that on the garden spot for next year. I have been saving parings and egg shells to put on a compost pile when I find the right place. I have an a couple 5 gallon buckets that I thought might be good to get started with.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

Krissel
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Vicki
Sebring FLORIDA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2019 :  8:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Krissel a Yahoo! Message
Loribeck you are doing good! Just put all scraps in the buckets for a week then haul out and bury in the ground away from the house and cover dig up next spring and load the wheelbarrow up with some rich composted dirt! Put grass and leaves in the mix to balance the formula. Bury to keep out the critters and coons. I save coffee grounds and egg shells and do this in the sand it takes a while but I have a spot of dirt growing in Florida. I dig it up in the fall for the winter gardening.

Farmgirl#7588 Fishgirl Farm Chapter member.
Laughter makes the heart strong!
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2019 :  5:27:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Vicki. I never thought about burying the scraps. We are loaded with critters out here where I am at. I will do that. I really want my garden to have nice healthy dirt. Our ground is all clay and I need to get some other stuff mixed in with it.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Composting Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page