GoddessintheGroove
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Heike
Sacramento CA
265 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  09:50:07 AM  Show Profile
My Valor is super itchy. No fleas.

His fur is shiny, but when I brush him, his skin is flaky. I have been feeding him raw, but am adding kibble now (grain free, ELEVATE Yosemite recipe) because I can't keep up feeding only raw.

I have started putting ACV in his water, and give him coconut oil on the side.

Poor guy is just itching all day! Any recommendations? http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/Snitz/Images/2018/09/IMG_3427.jpg?v=53717425[/IMG]/img]

FarmGirl Sister #2245
http://www.goddessinthegroove.com

"Women with opinions, pendants, & KitchenWitches...all in one."

Find me on INSTAGRAM! Goddess in the Groove

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  10:13:56 AM  Show Profile
Well sometimes we need the expert opinion of a veterinarian. I know it is an expense, but so many conditions can be underlying. I have watched enough Dr. Pol and other vet shows on television to know that weird and very common things can be underlying. Heart worm, parasites, lack of certain vitamins, even diabetes can cause numerous symptoms including itchy skin. Hopefully it is something simple such as an environmental allergy to perfume, laundry detergent of its bedding. I am not a vet. A vet may be able to give it a shot of steroidal meds than can take down the inflammation that is behind the itch. And a blood panel will give clues and rule out anything underlying with the organs or systemic infection. Good luck! Sorry I am not helpful. Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  10:15:43 AM  Show Profile
P.S. What a beautiful and handsome dog!! Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  10:19:54 AM  Show Profile
P.S.S. I am allergic to coconut oil because it has natural latex in it. Bananas, kiwi, and avocados also have natural latex in them. Latex causes me to instantly get a rash that is very itchy and burns. I do not know if your dog has sensitivity to latex. Perhaps switch the oil to olive oil and see if that makes any difference. Just a thought. Best to you! Annie

Go to Top of Page

GoddessintheGroove
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Heike
Sacramento CA
265 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  11:46:10 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by AnnieinIdaho

P.S. What a beautiful and handsome dog!! Annie

Hi Annie,

thanks, he is my handsome boy :). I have had the vet examine him, but need to wait on doing blood panels, etc...I hate to admit, but the cost is just too high for me now. :(...

FarmGirl Sister #2245

Go to Top of Page

GoddessintheGroove
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Heike
Sacramento CA
265 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  11:47:33 AM  Show Profile
Interesting! Yes, I will try and see if that makes a difference. My son was allergic to bananas and peanuts (except Valencia peanuts) when he was a tot. It caused him to get ear infections!

quote:
Originally posted by AnnieinIdaho

P.S.S. I am allergic to coconut oil because it has natural latex in it. Bananas, kiwi, and avocados also have natural latex in them. Latex causes me to instantly get a rash that is very itchy and burns. I do not know if your dog has sensitivity to latex. Perhaps switch the oil to olive oil and see if that makes any difference. Just a thought. Best to you! Annie

FarmGirl Sister #2245

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2654 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2654 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  09:16:08 AM  Show Profile
Heiki, our little fur baby went through some itching last year, we took him to the vet, he's got allergies of all things... they put him on two rx's for allergies, which nipped it in the bud, but they also have us give him 1/2 a benedryl tablet once a day when he needs them. He's only 15 lbs. It totally helps. I also had a big persian kitty years ago who had allergies in his bladder which flared up the bladder alls and made it difficult to potty, our vet at that time also had us put Romeo on benedryl, he had one full tablet a day. So, if you haven't found anything to help yet, perhaps call your vet to find out what dosage of benedryl you could give him?

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Itchy dog Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page