True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2019 :  8:33:06 PM  Show Profile
Hay there.

One of my seed orders just arrived and I am itching to get my hands in the warm soil.....but its not warm soil yet!!! Had to go purchase salt and minerals for the cows and also chick feed yesterday. My local feed store was already closed so I ran into Tractor Supply and what did I see as I walked in??? BULBS!!! 50% off....it was really hard to resist but I am trying to be real selective of any more purchases. I then went to WalMart to get milk and purchased 2 dahlia bulb packages of 2 different varities. One is an orange and the other is a purple. NO MORE PURCHASES!!

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2019 :  04:59:30 AM  Show Profile
Daizy 50% sales are hard to resist glad you held out and got what you wanted. I've never had dahlias but I know they are beautiful.

Yesterday I found a spouted red onion in my cabinet so I cut it up and it had 3 new growth so I planted them in raised bed. Will have to wait and see if they grow. My walking onion seedlings aren't due till late March and some people are already putting their onions in the ground around here. I hope March won't be too late for mine.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2019 :  08:48:13 AM  Show Profile
Since I no longer drive I do most of by buying on line. This morning I ordered potting soil which should be here Tues. Tomorrow my sister and I are going to see if Kelly's fruit & veg stand has onions. I hope so. I will plant them in large 2' long plastic planters. When they are all harvested I can plant flowers in them.

Go to Top of Page

Dirtduchess
True Blue Farmgirl

692 Posts

Patsy
Decatur TX
USA
692 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2019 :  1:39:59 PM  Show Profile
I have started looking at Walmart and local nurseries. I know it is way too early for north central Texas for plants to arrive. My favorite plants are herbs. 25* here this morning. So a little more waiting time to go.

Patsy
Farmgirl 4678

Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2019 :  1:44:48 PM  Show Profile
Patsy I'm in northeast Texas and onions can go in the ground now. The books may say no but all the all timers around here are putting their onions in so that's good enough for me.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2019 :  07:09:33 AM  Show Profile
My plans have changed. It's in the low 30s so my sister and I decided not to go to Kelly's instead I ordered heirloom onion sets on Amazon Prime. Will be here on Wed. 8oz box - 50 to 70 sets - Now to figure out how many sets will fit in one container so I will know how many containers I will need. Will plant them close together and use ever other one for green onion.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2019 :  07:03:43 AM  Show Profile
The onions arrived yesterday and I planted them. Had to put a wire box over the container to keep the squirrels out. Those nasty rodents dig in my herb containers and beds.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2019 :  08:50:39 AM  Show Profile
Over the years I have planted special plants in memory of an event in my life. I ordered a container yellow rose today from the Antique Rose Emporium in memory of my special honor of being chosen FGOTM for Feb 2019. The rose is Mrs. Oakley Fisher from 1921.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2019 :  10:30:58 AM  Show Profile
My Ebenezer onions are emerging. Just like a proud mama hen waiting for her eggs to hatch I am watching for each and every bit of green to appear.

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2019 :  6:47:56 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I planted onions the second week of January this year. They are really starting to grow just now. I usually plant the 20th of January but where my house lies, I found I can plant things earlier. I started tomatoes, lemon basil, and then I have already transplanted kale and bok choy. I have covered them a couple of times but they are doing fine. It's amazing what a thin piece of plastic or an old packing quilt can do!

I have some of the seeds you sent me and I'll get those started soon. Hope all of you are gearing up for spring. I know we have it pretty easy here in East Texas but I am tired of the cold days!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2019 :  03:38:52 AM  Show Profile
Amanda you have been busy in your garden. Glad all your plants are doing good. I haven't tried lemon basil - it does sound good. I haven't covered any of my outside herbs so far and they are okay. The container roses are doing okay too.

My container of onions is doing good but now it looks a little silly. Up until they got to tall I had a wire screen over them to keep the squirrels away. Yesterday I put broken pieces of stakes all around the container and wound twine all around it. It's a battle around here to keep those nasty rodents out of my garden. I have wee oak and pecan trees growing in herb pots all the time - the herb halfway dug up.

Four weeks and counting the days till my plants and rose arrives the 3rd week in March.

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2019 :  07:53:07 AM  Show Profile
Sara,

That's when squirrels become "tree rats"...they sure will destroy in a hurry! My aunt used to live in the Austin area and the squirrels would eat every one of her tomatoes! So frustrating. We don't have very many squirrels where I live because we have a nesting pair of hawks in our backyard, not to mention every varmint this side of Texas. Not to say that they won't be an issue at some point, of course! I have found that everything loves to eat what we like to eat. Lol.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2019 :  08:19:41 AM  Show Profile
Amanda unless you have chickens a pair of hawks could be good allies in the fight against varmints.

Annie, my German Shephard Rhodesian Ridgeback Hound, has killed 3 squirrels in my backyard and an owl got another one but they keep multiplying. Tree rats is a good name for them.

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2019 :  09:56:58 AM  Show Profile
I do have chickens but we keep them penned, thanks to an attack one year by wintering sharp shinned hawks. They got 8 in a week. So I hate to pen them up, but I love having chickens!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2019 :  03:02:49 AM  Show Profile
good luck with your gardens ladies. fresh produce is only a dream for us for many months yet. Hope you can solve your squirrel problems.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2019 :  05:16:44 AM  Show Profile
Michele I'm afraid the squirrels are here to stay. Too many large trees in the neighborhood. I've seen them go from yard to yard without ever having to touch the ground. They cross the streets on hi-line wires and run across roofs of houses. They come down for food, to chase each other around, and to dig & dig some more.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2019 :  05:00:12 AM  Show Profile
This time of year I get antsy to see what has wintered over and will be coming back. So far my two container roses look good and the mints have been green all winter but no new growth. A little green on sage and thyme plants - all other herbs look dead but may come back. Last fall I sowed seeds outside of yellow four o'clock; bread poppy; and orange milkweed. Hope they all come up.

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2019 :  11:53:34 AM  Show Profile
I am absolutely green...with envy. It has been below zero here with 25 inches of snow...and more coming so what's a girl to do...garden inside! My hubby brought home a tall wide, round vase with tulip bulbs. There is a screen about two inches from that the bulbs rest on. You just water the roots. They will be gorgeous when they bloom. We can usually plant outside in May. Can't wait until spring!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2019 :  1:00:29 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie, I can't imagine! I am the same way; I have to have greenery growing inside when I can't outside. I dug up several baby tomato plants in November before our first freeze and they are over 4' tall now, in the house. lol. It looks like a jungle, but at least this year I finally got a good head start. Snow is pretty for a few days and then I would imagine it's just a pain to deal with. We didn't get any snow this year, just sleet.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2019 :  07:38:14 AM  Show Profile
It is cold and snowy here, but I have started a few seeds under my grow lights. A few herbs take up to 2 weeks to germinate and because of our short growing season I want a nice sized plant when I put them outside. Bonnie, I am taking your advice and have started the stevia seeds inside. Keeping my fingers crossed that I get some plants.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2019 :  08:54:12 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie enjoy your tulips when they bloom.

Amanda a good start is the way to go. I have given up on trying to grow seeds inside.

Julie grow lights are a must for growing seeds indoors. Before I moved my kitchen had a built-in book shelve that I converted to my little green house with grow lights. That year I started 40 tomato plants and they all made. My new home is smaller and there's no room to start seeds indoors and there sure isn't any room in my little yard for 40 tomato plants.

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  3:27:19 PM  Show Profile
Congrats, Sara, on making the magazine! You are mentioned on page 85. This was, without a doubt, my favorite article in an MJF magazine yet. Love the pictures and all the info!

Farmgirl hugs!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

BloomnGa
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Sherri
Warner Robins Georgia
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  5:10:02 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, I had great luck with the straw bale gardening method last year. I grew purple Cherokee tomatoes, so this year I plan to add pickling cucumbers since they seem to be so hard to come by in this area. I guess I better get off my fanny!!!
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  10:51:08 AM  Show Profile
Sherri, I have not tried straw bale, but we do raised beds and love them. I love pickling cukes and plan on growing some again this year. We have a place where I can get them pretty cheap so I haven't grown in a while, but I want to grow more this year. :) What variety are you going to try?

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  11:04:16 AM  Show Profile
Sherri, I have a friend who also did the straw bale gardening, just tomatoes... she loved it, and that at the end of the season the bales could be used as mulch around her roses for the winter season. (tho it was a bit messy to clean up in the Spring)

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Garden Gate: Previous Topic 2019 Our Gardens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page