YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6785 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6785 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2019 :  08:13:07 AM  Show Profile
Sara hope you get rain soon. I know what it is like to be a drought. We're back in mid-sixties to low seventies after freezing 22 a couple of weeks ago. MY MJF garlic is almost 4" high but the elephant garlic isn't showing.

All my herbs and container roses survived the 22 temps except for the Texas tarragon but it will come back in the spring.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  07:18:25 AM  Show Profile
We are still having weather in the low 70’s here, and no frost since the last week of October. Good news for the winter garden where lettuces are filling out, sugar snap peas are forming pods, carrots and beets need to be thinned and garlic is pushing out of the soil.

But we haven’t seen rain since June.
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  07:20:56 AM  Show Profile
Please excuse the re post.

Wow Sara! Do you usually get such low temps? I think you and I are in the same climate zone, and 22 would be a once in a decade sort of thing. Especially in November.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6785 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6785 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  07:59:52 AM  Show Profile
Sara, we can get in the single digits. Low teens is common in Jan & Feb. My part of Texas gets more ice than snow. Ice storms are dreaded as much as tornados. Several years ago I was without power for 4 days in 19 degree weather because of an ice storm.

I harvested fresh herbs this morning for a chuck roast. Going out to the raised beds for herbs is one of my favorite things.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  09:51:24 AM  Show Profile
Today I found young turnips needing to be thinned . Can anyone help a west coast girl learn how to cook turnips and their greens please?
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6785 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6785 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  10:18:48 AM  Show Profile
Sara there are two thoughts on cooking turnips and greens. Cook them together or separate. I prefer the second way because I like my turnips roasted with a little EVOO and herbs.

The greens may be cooked with EVOO or pork - bacon, smoked ham hock, or ham. I like my greens tender and well done so I cook them for 2-3 hours on low heat or all day in crockpot. Others like their greens with more "bite". After they have cooked for an hour taste them and keep testing until they are done enough for you. I like to sprinkle apple cider vinegar with herbs or hot peppers on the greens.

A couple of your turnips look small enough to slice raw for salads.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  10:27:37 AM  Show Profile
Sara -- That sounds like the same way I cook my collards. Some chopped up bacon, a little chopped onion, simmer for a couple of hours, add vinegar and eat. Yummy! If you're eating out the best turnip greens are found at Cracker Barrel; I've been know to have them for breakfast with my biscuits and gravy.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  5:38:35 PM  Show Profile
Thanks gals! I’m venturing off into new territories!
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2019 :  10:47:00 PM  Show Profile
This is how I cooked my little turnips:
In some bacon drippings I sautéed red onion, then added the diced turnips and some small diced apples. Poured on some syrup from a jar of canned apples, covered it and cooked to caramelized. Everyone gave good reviews!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6785 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6785 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2019 :  11:55:01 PM  Show Profile
Sara, your turnips sound delish. Will have to give it a try.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2019 :  11:38:08 PM  Show Profile
I recently made a “ mess” of turnip greens ( I think that’s the right term) and they were very good! I followed a recipe from a new cookbook called Turnip Greens and Tortillas. It’s kind of a soup, with chicken broth, onion, tomato and garlic. I’m really happy to have discovered this easy-to-grow winter green which can be quite yummy as well as nutritious. But I have to admit, I’m still a bit baffled about what to do with the turnips!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6785 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6785 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2019 :  01:34:56 AM  Show Profile
Sara, the turnip soup sounds good. I use leftover roasted turnips in soup. Will have to check out the cookbook - sounds like my kind of cookbook.

Turnips harvested young are good eaten raw in salads or slaws. Large turnips tend to be woody on outer layers. The woody parts should be pared off.

This is how I cook rutabagas but it should work with turnips.

Boil rutabagas & potatoes separately. Some people cook them together but I prefer to cook separate. Helps to keep individual flavors.

When done smash/mash them and mix together with S&P, seasoning of choice, and butter. Good eating.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17017 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17017 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2019 :  12:20:21 PM  Show Profile
My favorite way to eat Turnips,,, thinly sliced, on a piece of buttered sour dough bread... yum yum...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2019 :  10:50:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sara. I’ll try that some night soon.

Grace, sounds like a bizarrely interesting treat! My Mom taught me to eat strange things—like cottage cheese on toast and peanut butter and jack cheese sandwiches—so I wouldn’t be surprised if your turnips on buttered sourdough isn’t just sublime! I’ll try it!
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2020 :  07:14:20 AM  Show Profile
I have lovely lettuces in my kitchen garden to add some fresh greens to our dinner table now and then. If any of you like to try new varieties in your garden, my new favorite is called Italienisher and comes from Territorial Gardens. It produces long, light green leaves on a big open head, about 10 inches across. Tasty!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Garden Gate: Previous Topic 2019 Our Gardens Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page