RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2019 :  08:48:04 AM  Show Profile
I miss fireflies. Or, as we called them where I come from, lightning bugs.

I grew up in Indiana, amongst the rolling hills in the southern part of the state, just north of the Ohio River. There, in the country and far enough from anywhere that the stars twinkled overhead, bright and proud, we would chase lightning bugs. They were the easiest things to catch - they weren't exactly fast - and I would hold a captive in one hand with the other cupped around it, creating a dark enclosure to ensure I didn't miss the lights. The gentle little bug would track across my hand, its back end flashing and dimming, and I was filled with delight. Sometimes their lights were yellow, sometimes more greenish. Some were slow, while some blinked fast. And all of them, each and every one, was fascinating. After a few seconds of quiet awe, I would let it go and race off to find another one.

I live in the Pacific Northwest now, specifically the Puget Sound region of western Washington, where beauty is around every turn, bend, and corner, and at the beginning, middle, and end of every road. We have mountains, water, ocean, forests, sea life, wildlife, and thousands of miles of wilderness. The one thing we don't have is lightning bugs. I wish I could sit in my yard gazebo and watch the flashing and flitting of those beautiful little bugs. Because I can't, they are now assigned to a revered space in my childhood memories where they have taken on a dreamy, mythical-like quality.

For those of you that can, please enjoy those fun little flashers for me!

Farmgirl Sister #127
My blog: http://14thandoak.com
"Nowadays, even living simply - working only to acquire life's most basic necessities, demands so much." - Rebbe Nachman of Breslov

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2019 :  08:57:23 AM  Show Profile
Hey Rachel! You are very close to where my son and his girlfriend live! I'm in Alabama on 64 acres and boy o boy we have a wonderful display of fireflies/lightning bugs at our place for which I am truly thankful! You live in a beautiful area so there are birds and bats I'm sure?? How about some tiny glo lights charged with solar energy hanging around your new gazebo?? They have these nano lights that would be dreamy and sway with the breeze that would help enliven your memories!! I could also happily send you short video clips of ours!! ;)

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1016 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1016 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2019 :  1:05:30 PM  Show Profile
I grew up in California but my mother's family are in Kansas and Missouri. When we visited in the summertime my cousins and I would chase and catch "lightning bugs. It was magical. I haven't been back to see any of my cousins in years. I too miss those days and lightning bug safaris.

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends.
Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16961 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16961 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2019 :  7:30:05 PM  Show Profile
Yep, when daddy was stationed in Ft. Riley Kansas... summer time was for playing outside., catching Lightning bugs and June Beetles..
Great memories except during Tonado season ...
I havenever seen lightening bugs in California. Nor here in WASH...
I would love for my grand kiddos to experience catching them. And seeing them flicker their light.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2019 :  09:31:20 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies. I can honestly say there are plenty of fireflies here in the holler---so many they look like mini fireworks. Combine that with the sound of singing frogs and it truly is heavenly to sit on the porch in the evening. When we lived up on the mountain in Flat Top we were thrilled to see five or six on a few warm July days. This living down by the creek is such fun if you count out the extra snakes and bugs.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2019 :  1:00:04 PM  Show Profile
Sadly I have never seen or caught lighting bugs before, but I have always dreamed of it! They have always fascinated me and I loved seeing them in my kids movies. I'm hoping for one day when I can actually see them. Time to plan a trip!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2019 :  07:45:30 AM  Show Profile
We have them big time, here in Connecticut. However this year, there have been none. The wet, cold weather is not been kind to the bugs.

When we do get them, I love to go outside and see them. They remind me of little fairies.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1744 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1744 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2019 :  1:52:50 PM  Show Profile
we have them in Iowa. love it

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2019 :  7:49:16 PM  Show Profile
Rachel, I also grew in southern Indiana. Our farm was next to Ohio River. Sat on our porch and could see Kentucky. A little town called Florence, the next town Vevay.
I now live in Louisiana.

Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls

Hugs: Heaven's Ultimate
Good Sign
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2019 :  8:33:14 PM  Show Profile
I have never seen a lighting bug or firefly. But it's definitely on my bucket list!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2019 :  9:12:54 PM  Show Profile
I just love this mix of ladies who know fireflies well and those that have never seen them! It's definitely rough for we west-coasters to miss out on such a beautiful little piece of nature!

Marlee, I sent you an email - we grew up not far from one another!

Farmgirl Sister #127
My blog: http://14thandoak.com
"Nowadays, even living simply - working only to acquire life's most basic necessities, demands so much." - Rebbe Nachman of Breslov
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2019 :  3:14:29 PM  Show Profile
I'm a California gal but remember the trips to my grandparents in Oklahoma and Grandpa would take me out at night with a canning jar and we would catch lightning bugs. They looked so ordinary in the daylight. I so wish we had them here; the made the nights magical. We did see them one time while camping in Arizona.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1399 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1399 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2019 :  10:31:01 AM  Show Profile
Rachel, this is funny because we are getting so many fireflies here in the Northeast. Last night hubby and I were watching tv when one flew by us in our livingroom. I jumped up screaming "don't kill it". It's only a firefly. So you would think my cat (Cutie) would chase after it, but NO, she just looked at us as if we were crazy trying to catch it.

Put your hair up in a bun, drink some coffee and handle it.
Cards by Joan Creations on FB
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2019 :  07:53:09 AM  Show Profile
Rachel,

My sis lives in Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island. We just visited that area and there is certainly lots of beauty around you. I know what you are talking about, though. There is a basic primal lure to lightning bugs. I saw my first lightning bug near Tallequah, OK in the 90's. I was mesmerized. I was young, from Wyoming, and honestly had never heard of them. To see them flitting about and blinking away, it opened my eyes to the fact that this world held many wonders. That moment was pivotal in my unending desire to see as many of those wonders as I can.

Thanks for bringing me back there. I needed that today.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #93
My Blog

www.annapearlshomestead.wordpress.com

The Gourmet Cupboard

http://www.thegourmetcupboard.com/sites/sheronetaylor8622

Avon

www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!

Edited by - sherone_13 on Jul 19 2019 07:54:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2019 :  6:41:26 PM  Show Profile
Northwest Ohio has a lot of the little flashing lightning bugs, too. I just love watching them. We have 22 acres and are a half mile off the road so we get to see the display of lights all summer long. Just beautiful.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2019 :  01:34:55 AM  Show Profile
Ha, I am convinced one of the reasons Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland was announced as its most popular ride is because of the fireflies in the scenery. I too miss them. We lived in Virginia for 10 years and I loved it there! The humidity actually made me feel better most likely getting rid of toxins in my system. But the fireflies are mysterious and magical and imprint a strong memory. I also miss the sound of the circadias (spelling?)that would lull me to sleep in rhythm and now the sound therapy musicians with their special equipment have slowed their sounds and it is beautiful music perhaps with healing qualities. Nature at its best. Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2019 :  6:51:34 PM  Show Profile
I was born and raised on a farm in Indiana, lived there for 46 years. Lighting bugs were my all time awe, best way I can describe it. Like a lot of you said they are magical, fairy like. You sit and look out over a field and thousands of little twinkle lights everywhere. For me it was peaceful, you can lose all thoughts just watching all the little blinking lights, and never see the little firefly itself, just the little blinking lights. Miss seeing them, thank you for this walk down memory lane. And to all of you who have not seen them, I hope someday you will get a chance to see this tiny marvel of God. Hugs Karla

FGOM March 2018

I dusted once, it came back. I'm not falling for that again.
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic I miss fireflies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page