Join in ... sign up

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Jubilee Annual Celebration
 1. Dream it! Make it! Bake it! Shake it!
 Herbs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author 1. Dream it! Make it! Bake it! Shake it!: Previous Topic Herbs Next Topic  

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2019 :  8:39:50 PM  Show Profile
I am curious to know where you all plant your herbs. Do you leave them in planters or do you plant them in your garden? Do all herbs spread like mint does? I am thinking about putting my different mints in the ground. I know they spread so I'm not sure where to put them. Any ideas?

Lori Beck

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6785 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6785 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2019 :  04:15:05 AM  Show Profile
Lori, I have spearmint & pineapple mint in containers. Apple mint in the ground. Mints will cross-pollinate so don't plant different mints right next to each other.

I grow most of my herbs in containers or raised beds. I do have 12 creeping rosemary plants on both sides of my sidewalk to front porch. Makes a pretty year round bedding plant. Using it in cooking keeps it in bounds.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2019 :  7:38:13 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Sara. I want to dry my mints for teas and thought if I planted them in the ground I could get plenty. Maybe it would give me too much. I have never heard of pineapple mint. That sounds good. I don't have any rosemary right now but am thinking of planting some. I have a recipe for a hair rinse using rosemary and would like to see how good it is.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  02:58:57 AM  Show Profile
I have a chocolate mint in the ground. I took a 5 gallon bucket, and cut the bottom out, then buried it and put the mint in that. I do watch it and cut it off when it gets to tall. This has kept it from spreading. The rest of my herbs are in a herb bed that i have. Thyme, oregano, chives. Garlic gets planted there every fall. I plant basil and parsley in there too. I have dill that reseeds itself. Along chamomile. the herbs in my herbs garden don't really spread, they do grow and some reseed themselves.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17017 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17017 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  08:39:39 AM  Show Profile
Lori, currently I only have lavender, chocolate mint and borge...
this year is a very busy year and I had to fore go a time consuming garden :(
But what I do have, is planted in the front of the house in the ground except for the mint, who if left unattended... will take over!
Mint and lavender are a main stay as I use both frequently through out the year(mostly for tea).
The borge is a favorite to the bees.
Hopefully next year my life will slow town a bit so I can get my ginger's back into the soil...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17017 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17017 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  08:42:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh and Sara, I didn't know about mints cross pollinating... thanx for the heads up... :)

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  7:12:53 PM  Show Profile
I didn't know about mints cross pollinating either. I'll make sure to keep them separated from each other. The idea about planting the mint in a 5 gallon bucket and planting bucket and all in the ground sounds like a great idea to me.

Farmgirl 7774
Never miss a sunset

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page
  1. Dream it! Make it! Bake it! Shake it!: Previous Topic Herbs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page