Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Raw Food Diet for Dogs Anyone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Raw Food Diet for Dogs Anyone? Next Topic  

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2862 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2862 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2019 :  5:59:26 PM  Show Profile
I am seriously considering this. My 17 MO Dobie has some bad allergies, and my 12 YO Black Mouth Cur has bad lick granuloma on his feet. The vet gave Annie (the dobie) a $135 shot for her allergies, along with an antibiotic. Cleared up some, but back. Shot allegedly lasts 3 mos.
Jack, the cur, got some pill that tells the brain not to lick, ($3 per), and antibiotics.
From my take, none of these are cures.
THe more I read, the more I see that the main benefit of raw food is aiding allergies, as well as superb dental health, small odorless stools, and little or no gas. (Annie could supply the local propane co..LOL)
I have been slowly incorporating raw foods: beef soup bones raw, raw eggs, salmon skin, chicken livers and gizzards, and the occasional thighs or wings. Apparently, bones are not harmful until cooked, and so far, so good.
Plus they LOVE this food.
I feed high quality kibble, and my observation is that dogs like raw food better.
They are, after all, descendants of the wolf.
Problem is sourcing.
I have a local processing plant where I can get plenty of beef bones, but the chicken is harder. Raw foodies poo poo grocery store chicken. We do have a Mennonite chicken processing facility nearby, but mostly folks are getting whole birds back.
Anyone else doing this???
Thanks!

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2019 :  1:47:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lisa,
We use to raise Greyhounds and fed only real meat. We actually got Ground meat for an area stockyard. When a cow crippled or died there in the stock pen they send it over to be ground. We got it in 40 lb. packs, we would cut off only what we needed, mixed olive oil, vitamins, cooked rice mixed in with small amount of high protein dry food for their teeth. Never had allergy issues.
My neighbor has two large dogs, some hunting breed from Argentina. She buys raw whole chicken breast from Sams, adds olive oil, vitamins for her guy's, and they are very healthy. If you read up on some of the food out there that we give our pets, it's scary.
Check out one of the big box stores near you, I trust my neighbors judgement, they are her only children.
Hugs Karla
P.S. It was her that informed me about the raw bones being OK, 60 years later.
FGOM March 2018

I dusted once, it came back. I'm not falling for that again.

Edited by - hoosiercountry on Oct 26 2019 1:49:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2862 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2862 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2019 :  3:11:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Karla, I am feeding raw beef liver tonight, along with some flax seed, raw sweet potato and green beans.
They both love raw veggies. so that is easy. I will keep you all updated.
You are right, the recalls and crap put into kibble is frightening.
I feed an expensive vet purchased kibble, but sometimes I think it is a vicious circle, and a moneymaker. I am not criticizing vets by any means, but every little thing is $200 and ongoing.
I'm going to try this.
Wish me luck, as sometimes life gets in the way. LOL
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  07:08:21 AM  Show Profile
Lisa the only raw protein I give Annie is the occasional raw egg. Always heard raw eggs were good for their coats. I know some of the treats cause Annie to itch so I have narrowed her treats down to just a few that don't bother her. She gets cooked chicken thighs and Rachel Ray's Just 6 dry food everyday. Along with raw & cooked veggies. Cooked greens and veg soup are two of her favorite foods.

Next time I cook beef I may give her a little and see how she does.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Raw Food Diet for Dogs Anyone? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page