Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1399 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1399 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2020 :  3:10:26 PM  Show Profile
It's so scary hearing about this new virus from China all over the news. I pray all our loved ones and friends never come in contact with this.

Put your hair up in a bun, drink some coffee and handle it.
Cards by Joan Creations on FB
Farmgirl #3842

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  12:47:32 PM  Show Profile
Yes---this is truly scary. It is spreading so fast. I think the United States will be able to keep it in check. It is dangerous to travel any where these days. And even dangerous to go to public gatherings because of crazy people shooting others, A sad, scary world for sure.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1399 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1399 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  1:36:26 PM  Show Profile
It sure is a crazy world we live in. Stay safe

Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2020 :  5:05:03 PM  Show Profile
Americans are more likely to catch the flu than the coronavirus. Stay safe.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

There's no place like home!
Dorothy Gale

Nature speaks in symbols and in signs.
John Greenleaf Whittier
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2020 :  05:33:35 AM  Show Profile
That's absolutely correct, Vanessa. I think as long as we are careful to wash our hands, careful about washing our fresh produce, rinsing store bought meats, etc., we have won more than half of the battle. A lot of this depends upon cleanliness, the type of places we frequent (airports vs local farmstands, for example), and the precautions we take when we leave the house as well as enter it. We are at a major hospital quite often for my husband's health care. That freaks me out ALL of the time, not just during outbreaks like this. When we get home, I am very careful that my purse is laid down and shoes come off at the door, and that clothing goes right into the washer. I also make sure we wash up really well before getting into new clothing. And I never go to bed after a day at the hospital without showering and washing my hair first. I do also either wipe down or spray my purse and our shoes and outerwear with disinfectant. And one thing I do that many don't even think about is use disinfectant spray in the empty hampers and laundry baskets - especially in the laundry baskets before I put freshly cleaned and folded clothes back in to transport them. It is so important to keep things as clean as possible at home during times like these. Every night I clean the kitchen and bathroom surfaces. I also make sure to wipe down light switches, door handles and knobs, hand rails, canister knobs, etc. - anything anyone usually touches. And when I bring anything home from the grocery store, EVERYTHING gets wiped down before getting put away: packages, boxes, cartons and cans. (Just think about how many people touch or cough and sneeze on these things every day! Eghads!) It only takes a few minutes, and really gives me peace of mind. We also keep throws over our sofas and chairs which are easily thrown into the washer the minute anybody stars sneezing or coughing. There are a whole host of things we can do to protect ourselves. We just need to be diligent and not take health and safety for granted.

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Feb 05 2020 05:34:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1399 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1399 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2020 :  06:36:19 AM  Show Profile
Great advice Nina.
#128525;

Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2020 :  06:57:14 AM  Show Profile
Yes, good advice.

For years during flu & cold season I do not shake hands or hug when I have to be out in public. I explain why and most understand and think it's a good idea. This year I'm taking it a step further and staying in unless I must leave the house.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2020 :  1:54:04 PM  Show Profile
I agree Nini. Now that I have kids in school, I’m more cautious and diligent about keeping everything sanitized. I even keep hand sanitizer in my car and diaper bag for times when we don’t have a sink around. Plus I always wipe down the cart handles before we go shopping. Its amazing how many people don’t wash their hands frequently or cover their coughs and sneezes.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2020 :  02:36:35 AM  Show Profile
Ladies--- this scares me because my husband works at Sams Club and is always in contact with so many people. He is going to retire in June and if this virus is bad he will just quit early and get away from the store. I had an uncle that brought the flu in to our family in 1918. He gave it to his wife and two little kids and she woke up in the bed with them dead. And he also infected his sister in law and she died with her baby at 28 years old. So yes---we must stay safe and stay close to home if this happens. Every one told my uncle not to go to town and he would not listen---so yes--stay safe. I will be hiding in my holler for sure---I think all the dirt and being around animals makes me immune to a lot of germs---an old lady I worked for always told that being close to the earth and digging in dirt made you healthy---I think so. But I would be so scared if I had young children---so bless all of you and keep safe for sure.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2020 :  04:54:58 AM  Show Profile
Girls, I also want to point out that drinking water can also become contaminated, even if it is processed through a local municipal authority. The CDC and EPA both list ways this can happen, among other websites, so I won't list them here. So I suggest getting a really good water filter for your family. We have a Berkey which gets rid of something like 99.99% of contaminants (please don't quote me on that...please do your own research to be sure). We use ours daily because (1) we live in a very old house with very old pipes,and who KNOWS what our water is exposed to; and (2) where we live the city's pipes are so old that every single year we have breaches. It only takes a little bit of sewer water to contaminate all the drinking water. In times like that, I take the extra precaution of boiling AND filtering, just to be safe. I guess for me, the biggest concern is what types of things might lurk in the pipes that our drinking water passes through before hitting our tap. Even well water can have a whole host of problems from environmental run off in the ground water. So I urge you to take all of this into consideration, and figure out what precautions to take to ensure your drinking water is safe. It's shocking what can live in our water. The transmission of fecal matter, which is a major cause of virus transmission, does not only happen hand to mouth! My Berkey is great peace of mind. There are other filtration systems out there as well. This is just the one we settled on. And a word of caution: filters such as the Brita are NOT sufficient to remove many dangerous contaminants. Please do your homework.

Hope this helps a little! Always better safe than sorry!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Feb 06 2020 04:57:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2020 :  10:58:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls - just me again. As we are all hearing, the coronavirus outbreak seems to be a lot worse than initially reported by China. I read a pretty interesting article this morning by The Survival Mom called "The Truth About Disinfectants: Q&A With An Expert." It's definitely worth reading. Here is a link: https://thesurvivalmom.com/truth-about-disinfectants/ If you are not familiar with her blog, she shares a lot of excellent information that is worth checking out. As a matter of fact, I have her book, "The Survival Mom" at the ready on my shelf!

I also read another article concerning the respirator masks that people are buying. I thought it was The Survival Mom's, but I cannot find it on her site (although she does have an informative article about the different types of masks out there: https://thesurvivalmom.com/selecting-the-right-face-masks-for-any-emergency/ ). I've tried to find it, but I can't - I must be entering the wrong key words into my search. Anyhow, this article I read basically said that these N95 Respirator masks people are stocking up on to protect against the coronavirus, are basically ineffective. The virus can apparently be transferred when droplets/particulates in the air (i.e. when someone coughs or sneezes) come in contact with moist eye tissue. So, in order to protect against the transfer of the coronavirus, you really need to be wearing a full-face mask with a respirator, which also will protect the eyes. Another article I read also said that the N95 mask should be worn by people infected with the virus to prevent spread of the virus, and that it is an "ok" option for people wearing them in their own home environments.

I know how unnerving this all is. I hope I'm not being overwhelming. I still don't thing it's going to hit here like it has there, but all of this information and insight just seemed too interesting and too important not to share.

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2020 :  2:39:19 PM  Show Profile
Grace---just heard about the first death from coronavirus in Washington state. Praying for you and yours to stay safe. Hubby will retire at the end of March and we can hide down here----whereabouts unknown---as Van Morrison says. This is starting to scare even this old holler girl.

Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1399 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1399 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2020 :  07:57:35 AM  Show Profile
I stopped watching the news. It is too depressing and scary. God bless us all.

Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  6:09:04 PM  Show Profile
Dear Sweet Farmgirls---So much for West Virginia and it's one corona virus case up in the panhandle. Our second case was announced today and it is right here in Mercer---my county. Just as fiends were saying it would be slow to come here. All that we talk about is that this s a joke.--- still having parties and going shopping. Told my cousin---no baby shower for me---they are still getting together, Girls I am now hiding in the holler for sure. P raying for all of you.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2020 :  05:35:44 AM  Show Profile
Barbara, I heard your Senator, Joe Manchin yesterday on TV, explaining how West Virginia has now found Coronavirus within the state. And we are all learning as testing becomes available , we are finding that there are many more positive cases than ever known. You are right in avoiding a baby shower and start practicing strict social distancing. Stay safe and keep us posted to what is happening up your way! I am glad you have the benefit already of being somewhat secluded from more dense populations centers.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1399 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1399 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2020 :  06:58:59 AM  Show Profile
This virus is very scary. My State New York seems to have the highest rate of this virus. I'm staying in my home, not driving or going anywhere. I miss seeing my daughters and grandkids. But safety first. Prayers.

Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2020 :  09:15:51 AM  Show Profile
I don't watch the news and I took a ton of people off my Facebook newsfeed. I deal with anxiety and depression and too much information overwhelms me.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1399 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1399 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2020 :  09:43:29 AM  Show Profile
I feel for you Denise. You’re right, enough said about this. Love you #128525;

Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2020 :  7:21:27 PM  Show Profile
WE have been taken precautions, we also have our farm (dairy goats, chickens, and a few rabbits, sold the pigs). The animals keep us busy right now. Garden is going in. I just remember my gran talking about how it was when times were hard. It must have passed to my mom as we all do the same thing of making do with what we have. I also heard the waste not, want not!

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2020 :  04:31:17 AM  Show Profile
Theres a dark and troubled side of life, but theres a bright and sunny side too. When you meet with the darkness and the strife the sunny side you also may view. Keep on the sunny side always on the sunny side, keep on the sunny side of life. It will help us every day it will guide us all the way if we keep on the sunny side of life.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

There's no place like home!
Dorothy Gale

Nature speaks in symbols and in signs.
John Greenleaf Whittier
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2020 :  12:29:49 PM  Show Profile
Audra, you are right about that. What I am seeing are people panicking mainly because they do not know how to make do and use what they have. Some do not know how to cook unless it is take out or out of a box.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1744 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1744 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2020 :  5:16:19 PM  Show Profile
I don't think hoarding is fair. Think of your friends and neighbors. We all need necessities. Stop taking more than you really need. Just saying. Have seen this all over.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2020 :  08:43:49 AM  Show Profile
This morning I received a call from my house insurance agent wanting to know how I was doing and if I needed anything. She was just checking in with me. Good to know they are a business who care for their customers and not just their pocket books.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic CoronaVirus Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page