Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2020 :  11:06:43 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Ma'am, I am!!! My maternal great-grandfather was a full-blooded Patterson... my Grandma always referred to him as "black Irish," but I'm not so sure she meant that he was of Spanish Irish descent so much as her dismay of him "frequently taking to the drink." Lol. Not funny to her, though, at all; God bless and rest their souls. On HER maternal grandmother's side, we are also Irish as well as Welsh, I believe.

The Celtic blood flows on my father's side as well. We are of the Gardner (Gordon) clan, being a hazy mix of BOTH Irish and Scottish bloodlines of the same name. My aunt is the family historian, who has spent countless hours tracing our lineage back to the 1500's. Her findings are fascinating to be sure.

About ten years or so ago, I was able to confirm some of my aunt's research, which was absolutely thrilling. I also found personal life-story writings of a man who was quite possibly my maternal great-great grandfather. I also learned of the rich heritage of ministers on her side of the family, which would definitely coincide with her claims that her own grandfather had the gift of healing (she said people came from miles around just to have him lay hands on them and pray for them! BOY do I wish I had that gift!). I even found a jaw-dropping picture from the 1800's of a man who was the spitting image of my father!!! SO cool!

I really wish I had more time to really delve into family history like she did - maybe someday. It's fascinating to learn where we come from, to see how throughout the generations we, as a family, have chosen names for our children that former generations had also chosen! My brother's children have the exact same names as our forebears from our family who lived almost 300 years ago - talk about a continuity through the generations!!! Since I don't have time to research all of that right now, I do make a habit of writing down old family stories as they are related to me, and I pop them into my Bible. Someday I would love to find the time to organize them and place them in a family binder or scrapbook as a little bit of TRUE family treasure for future generations to find and enjoy!

In all fairness, though, I'm also German, French, English and Pequot. My neighbor insists I have Italian in me; but I assure you, it's only the pasta sauce, the Christmas Eve Feast of the Fishes, and the good authentic Italian food and wine he brings us! LOL! ;) My maternal Grandma always used to say I was to tell people that I am a "mongrel," which really irked my mother to no end! LOL! But yes, to be sure, I fly all my colors with great pride!

Erin Go Bragh!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 05 2020 11:09:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6820 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6820 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2020 :  03:28:06 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, I make kale and potato soup so I would probably like it. I have an Irish cookbook so I'll see if the recipe is in it.

Grace I'm afraid if you and I started sipping on Irish whiskey together we would have one sip too many.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2020 :  06:32:36 AM  Show Profile
I have strong Scotch-Irish roots from my Father’s side mixed in with a bit of German. German, however, comes from both sides of the family in stronger percentage. My Irish ancestors came over in the potato famine between 1845-1850 and thereafter. When we visited IReland this past September, I learned more about this devastating famine and how Ireland today still has less population that it did before 1845. Millions died or left because of the starvation problem.

My favorite way to celebrate ST. Patricks day is with Irish Soda bread which is so easy to make and an Irish staple on the table any morning. When in Ireland, I purchased a little Irish break book that features all of the basic breads and special event breads. They like hearty, simple breads with butter and jam for breakfast and also oatmeal breads. Of course they also love sweet breads for tea or special events. So much goodness !!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17029 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17029 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2020 :  08:55:59 AM  Show Profile
Nancy,, never heard of Colcannon.. I luv taters,, but I am not a big fan of Kale,,,,
Do you bake it? steam it" ???

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17029 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17029 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2020 :  08:58:24 AM  Show Profile
Winnie,, when I get over to your neck of the woods,,, you can practice you bread making skills.. I don't think I have ever had Soda Bread...
Irish coffee yes.. Irish soda bread, not yet! lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17029 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17029 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2020 :  09:03:52 AM  Show Profile
Nini.. I luv what you said,, "I fly all my colors"..
I am 58% German, and the remaining 42% is a blend of Norweigen, Swedish, French, North Wales, Irish and a bit of English
Luv all of my flags...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2020 :  10:22:22 AM  Show Profile
Gracie Grace
I don't have a handed down recipe. I go to You Tube and pick the easiest one. I used cabbage though. I like kale but love cabbage.

TW

When life gives you more than you can stand.....kneel !
Grateful, Thankful and Blessed!

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17029 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17029 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2020 :  4:06:12 PM  Show Profile
Well Nancy girl,, when hubby and I make that great 2012 road trip to Texas,,,, I expect you'll have some ready for us!, maybe Winnie can swing by with some Soda Bread! lolol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17029 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17029 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2020 :  08:49:59 AM  Show Profile
Ok, he might not be Irish,, but a Highland breed is close enough.. He is the newest addition to my neighbor's collection..

actually this is my old neighbor's ranch, The Busy Bee Ranch,,
we moved down the road about 1/2 mile.. we use to back to his Ranch but then we moved.
In the country,, everyone is called "my neighbor' even if you live the next road over.. gotta love country living! heeheehee!

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Mar 07 2020 08:54:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2020 :  1:16:08 PM  Show Profile
Grace, when we were in Ireland, all we ever saw was sheep!!! Lots, and lots, and lots, and LOTS of sheep!!! At one time, wool factories were a huge business and source of export. Plus there is a lot of lamb dishes on menus today in pubs. Irish stew made from lamb is delicious over there.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17029 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17029 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2020 :  11:04:23 AM  Show Profile
Winnie,, Ewe are so lucky to have gone to Ireland!
It's on my bucket list!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9251 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9251 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2020 :  4:08:45 PM  Show Profile
Grace,
We like colcannon. I make it with cabbage too. I won't be able to get JT to eat Kale. Lol.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17029 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17029 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2020 :  9:10:22 PM  Show Profile
I prefer spinach over kale,, unless it's fresh in a salad... lol!
But I also prefer Pepsi over coke...lolol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Any Irish Farm Girls? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page