YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6722 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6722 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2020 :  06:19:07 AM  Show Profile
I love watching birds and this morning I saw an adult blue-jay leading two almost grown blue-jays across my backyard. Not sure where they came from but they landed on the butterfly bush before flying off. First the adult flew off then another and at last the second one. I like to think the mama - I think it was a mama - didn't get a real good look - anyway I think she was showing her young birds around her territory. I can just hear her telling her youngsters to watch out for the fierce dog who lives in that backyard. Sad to say but she's right to tell them to watch out because my Annie does kill birds. It's her nature - she's a hunter - but I do wish she would only hunt the squirrels and other nasty varmints. Oh, yes she kills snakes too so that's in her favor.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4702 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4702 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2020 :  07:38:26 AM  Show Profile
Enjoy your blue jays Sara. I love to do birdwatching here. Fortunately I live in a wooded area and have the Morton Arboretum nearby. I've noticed the robins are super busy this morning and the cardinals are singing their little beaks off up in the trees. I just finished a long walk this morning and enjoyed having my feathered friends with me as I go. Makes it a little less lonely that way. I do wish though they would cooperate when it comes to letting me take their pictures!

Dawn in IL

Bloom, where you are planted.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9185 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9185 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2020 :  10:18:30 AM  Show Profile
So far we have seen so many birds but no bluejays or bluebirds yet this year.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2020 :  5:29:03 PM  Show Profile
Ladies---I am watching birds too. We have many blue jays and a bluebird too! I think it is trying to build a nest in our garden shed---watching closely and I will tear it down if it is building---our cats will kill them for sure---mean to do---but I have to. Nature is beautiful---but also very cruel. I try to save all when I can. My animals all get along so good---but I will not stand for my cats killing birds. Thank you for your pleasant post---Yellow Rose---and I hope you rock on through this pandemic! Praying for you and all of you.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4702 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4702 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2020 :  06:11:51 AM  Show Profile
Barbara, years ago I had to ask my neighbors to put a little bell on their cats collars so the birdies could hear them coming. It worked because every time the cats tried to pounce on the birds at my feeders, the bells would give enough warning for the birds to fly away. Cats are the #1 killer of birds and my neighbors back then always let theirs out for the entire day.

Enjoy your birdwatching. The geese, ducks, and their smaller cousins are all busy building nests. We have wood ducks nest in a remote part of the arboretum and I plan to head out there this upcoming week to see if they are back again. If possible, please everyone take pictures and share them with us if you can!

Be safe, stay healthy!
Dawn in IL

Bloom, where you are planted.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6722 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6722 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2020 :  06:50:19 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, how great to live by the Arboretum. It must bring many hours of pleasure. Great idea about bells on cats. Wouldn't work for Annie because then she couldn't sneak up on varmints.

Denise, I hope the jays and blue birds show up soon. I remember that you really like the little blue birds. Through the years I have only seen the Eastern Blue bird a couple of times. They are few and far between around here.

Barbara, in your holler you must have many birds we never see here in Texas. Thanks for your sweet words and you stay safe too.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9185 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9185 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2020 :  07:43:33 AM  Show Profile
Sara,
JT has built numerous bluebird houses over the 20 years we have been here. He replaces them when they get broken or something due to storms and such. Way back in January we thought we saw a couple but we must have been wrong. He did spot a goldfinch the other day. I have seen many cardinals and wrens a few of the smaller finches and robins. They frequent the bird feeders by the kitchen window.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6593 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6593 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2020 :  10:32:27 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I love Blue Jays. We had a bunch in our yard when I was growing up. I haven’t seen any since. I would love to again. So far this year we have had more birds at our new house then we did at our old. This is one that makes an interesting beautiful noise, but I’m not sure what kind of bird it is. I’m hoping to get some bird houses up soon. Enjoy those beautiful Blur Jays for me!

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Blue-jays Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page