StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2135 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2135 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2022 :  11:56:20 AM  Show Profile
Men do like a challenge, don't they? Mom tried to teach me once but it never caught on with me. I can't imagine knitting with big needles let alone ones as tiny as that -- they look not much larger than embroidery needles. Amazing work.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2022 :  04:23:55 AM  Show Profile
my sock knitting went back to square one. Some days I cannot read a pattern, so frustrating. I tried ripping out to the ribbing, well I could not pick up the stiches decent again. So ripped it all out. I have a new more rows done then the picture, but have not had much time to work on them.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2022 :  11:30:25 AM  Show Profile
Finished one of two for my grandson

There is never a road so long that there isn't a curve in it.
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1419 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1419 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2022 :  6:05:15 PM  Show Profile
Ice job, Theresa!! They looks so warm and cozy!! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2994 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2994 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2022 :  7:22:32 PM  Show Profile
I am amazed at all the wonderful projects you're all making. I was a beginner knitter a while ago (at least 10 years) happily making little dishcloths with designs in them from knitting and purling. And then my mom finally helped me figure out what I was doing wrong while I was trying to learn to crochet. I've been a crocheter ever since - until a couple weeks ago. I was looking at the yarn in Hobby Lobby and my husband found these little balls of yarn with seseme street characters attached. It's a one skein hat thing with false advertising LOL! They give you the crochet hook size on the outside of the label. Then when you open it up for the pattern it tells to to cast on some stitches and do some knitting and purling!!!! At first I was upset (I have 4 of these hats to make for my little nieces and nephews). Then I decided I can do this - it's a beginner pattern. After I made a slip knot and put it on my knitting needle I decided I had no clue what to do next LOL! I went and got my learn to knit book and have been VERY slowly knitting a hat. I'm getting pretty decent at the knitting rows but I can't seem to figure out how to hold and move the yarn on the purl rows. Hopefully by the time I'm done with all of them I'll have the hang of it :) I'm thinking of looking up some easy fingerless mitten patterns to try out next.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2022 :  03:14:23 AM  Show Profile
Oh Heather, how frustrating. Yet how funny that someone making yarn kits does not know the difference between knit and crochet. I knit the way I was taught as a child, letting the yarn hang there either in the front or back and then pick it up to wrap around the needle. I cannot get the hang of having it wrapped around my finger. Hence I am a slow knitter. lol That and I sit down at night to do it and get one row done and am ready to fall asleep. Your hats sound like they will be super cute.
Wow way to knit Teresa!! They look great!!

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2022 :  06:56:49 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Karen, I knitted them out of bamboo, so they are really soft

Heather, I have just the opposite problem. I have tried and tried to learn to crochet and just can't get the hang of it. If someone shows me the stitches I can, but no way do I understand the patterns. LOL

Thanks Michele. I have been knitting for 65 years and have never been able to knit continental. I was taught Pre-revolutionary Russian which means I twist all my stitches plus I throw my yarn. I can knit English knitting but really slows me down.

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2022 :  07:03:11 AM  Show Profile
Oh Michelle, so sorry to read this. I remember the frustration when I started knitting socks. Hang in there, it will all work out.

Theresa, lovely pair of sock. They look comfy too! Thank you for sharing a picture of your project.

Heather, Oh dear! That is frustrating. Not that I want to discourage you from knitting (I can't crochet for the life of me LOL) but have you checked on Ravelry for crochet hat patterns?

As for holding your yarn, there are different methods. It's really a question of preference. I'm an English style knitter, some people are continental knitter. I did find this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q92bAeVFdao

I like the way she shows how to hold the yarn for tension. It's the same method for either continental or English, it's just a question of which hand you hold your yarn.

Youtube is a great sources of tutorial. I know I've used it a few time to learn a new binding off technic. For one of my sweater, it called for the Icelandic bind off!

Yours in Fibre,

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http:www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Edited by - ceridwen on Oct 11 2022 07:09:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2994 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2994 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2022 :  6:43:14 PM  Show Profile
Michele - I have that same problem! I find myself counting the stitches (I think it's from so much crocheting) and slowly counting in the evenings after working all day puts me to sleep LOL! Glad I'm not the only one :)

Theresa - you do such an amazing job knitting you don't need to worry about crocheting :) I'm not sure what you mean by you throw your yarn but I'm guessing it's different than when I was about to throw my yarn when I first started LOL!

Carole - No, I didn't look for crochet hat patterns for 2 reasons. The first is while I can crochet pretty decently my gauge is always way off. I made my mom a cardigan once using a hook 2 sizes smaller to get the correct gauge and it was still WAY too big. I thought I might have better luck knitting. The second reason is that I haven't knitted in so long I thought it would be good to try it out again. I'll check out the video - thanks for the link. I didn't realize there were so many methods of knitting!

I'm working on the top of the hat now that decreases as I go. Hopefully I'll have it finished by the end of the week.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2022 :  3:42:24 PM  Show Profile
Heather, Thanks for the laugh... your correct it is different than when you were about to throw your yarn... LOL There are so many different ways to knit and throwing the yarn is when you actually lift your finger to wrap the yarn in lieu of picking the yarn off the finger, if that makes sense!!!! Please post a photo of your hat when you are done as I am sure it is absolutely lovely. I do love to knit but every once in a while I see a crochet pattern that I really love.

Carole, thank you.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2022 :  5:04:55 PM  Show Profile
I never knew there was so many different ways to knit. Amazing. I have not gotten the hang of having the yarn around my fingers when knitting. I do it crocheting no problem. I will try again, after watching the video. I am just stuck in my ways........lol
Thanks ladies for so much good information.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2994 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2994 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2022 :  12:45:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the video link Carole. Wrapping the yarn around my pinkie helped a lot. Now I'm just slow instead of very slow LOL!

I didn't realize there were so many ways to knit either!

I finished Oscar, now I'm working on Big Bird.

The ribbing isn't the best and I need to attach Oscar a little better than the directions say (he wobbles everywhere!) but for my first attempt I'm happy! The second hat ribbing looks much better. Somewhere along the way I must yarn over or not pull off a stitch. I had 3 extra stitches on Oscar and Big Bird has 1 extra. But there are no holes :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1119 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1119 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2022 :  12:53:08 PM  Show Profile
So cute Heather!!

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
FGOTM August 2022
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2022 :  1:23:47 PM  Show Profile
Heather, he's adorable! Thank you for sharing.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http:www.carolesquiltingetc.com
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2022 :  2:15:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh Heather, he is so adorable! Good job. Looking forward to seeing big bird

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2022 :  4:22:17 PM  Show Profile
way to knit Heather, It is very cute. Don't drop any stitches, now that you are knitting faster...... :) lol I am going to try holding my yarn right tonight.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1419 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1419 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2022 :  6:19:14 PM  Show Profile
Heather how cute is Oscar??!! Love him!! :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

764 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
764 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2022 :  7:42:11 PM  Show Profile
Great job, Heather!!!!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2994 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2994 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2022 :  09:45:00 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone!!! Big bird is coming along nicely. I find I'm relaxing and not clenching the needles so much any more. I was able to knit 4 rows without having to stretch out my hand LOL!

Michele - I'm not fast enough for that yet LOL! How did it go holding the yarn different?

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2022 :  1:06:26 PM  Show Profile
Heather, what is Oscar's head made out of? Is it felt?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2994 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2994 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2022 :  5:27:21 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure - I didn't make him. The yarn comes with him attached to it. I also have a big bird, elmo, and cookie monster! I'll take a picture and post it soon of one not opened.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2022 :  02:43:05 AM  Show Profile
My thoughts on holding the yarn different when knitting. I tried lol. Though right now I am still knitting the ribbing, knit2 purl 2. Hard to figure out how to hold it to switch from knit to purl, so I gave up and went back to my old ways. I know, I did not try that hard......hahaha. I need to look at the videos again. I do have a new crochet project I am making for my daughter in law for Christmas. Well I have not started yet, but it will be a scarf. Ravelry- Santa and his reindeer. she will get a kick out of it.
Keep your stitches on your needles girls!!

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2022 :  4:00:06 PM  Show Profile
That's so neat Heather. I was wondering how he was hooked. I like that it came as a kit.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2022 :  4:20:53 PM  Show Profile
Finished 2nd pair of socks for grandson... now just need to get them in the mail!

Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1419 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1419 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2022 :  6:07:34 PM  Show Profile
Love the color of the socks, Theresa! :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page