Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Amateur Radio - Ham
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Amateur Radio - Ham Next Topic  

ManyLeaves
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Susan
WA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2020 :  10:52:31 PM  Show Profile
Living remotely communications an be challenging. Landlines can fail. Our internet occasionally goes down, you may not have cell service. The one thing that never fails is ham radio. You have to have a license to be able to use one. the technician (beginner) test (for the entry level license) is very easy. Everyone where I live is on the ham, and when the lines are down it is great to have. The equipment can range from a $30 handheld unit up to thousands - what ever you want put into it. Range is usually around 4-10 miles for a handheld, but we can get up to 100 using the local repeater. It also would make a great merit badge subject.

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2020 :  09:15:04 AM  Show Profile
Fascinating subject, I would love to see what kind of response you receive to this post. I also love the idea of a merit badge, one of which I would finally take the time to do. My husband has been a ham radio user for years, he is even a member of the local ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service) and CERT (Community Emergency Response Team). It is something I have wanted to do. Hopefully this winter, when I have more free time, I will find the time to study and take the technician test.

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

doctordar
True Blue Farmgirl

147 Posts

Darlene
Newport WA
USA
147 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2020 :  10:21:27 AM  Show Profile
I studied and passed the tests for both the Technician and General Ham licence last year. My husband and I are active in MARS (Military Auxiliary Radio System) in WA, Region 10. I really enjoy the radio part of this hobby, but the computer additions of Echo Link, Winstar, etc., are a bit daunting to me. My husband has been into this for decades...me much more recently. I think a merit badge for this would be awesome and may encourage more people to get involved with ham radio. We might even be able to set up a "net" for MJF sisterhood communications...monthly? It would be a great way to be in communication with our farm girl sisters near and far!

Dream - Believe - Manifest
She believed she could...so she did!
Farmgirl #7049
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2020 :  8:18:21 PM  Show Profile
I have an elderly around the corner neighbor who is a Ham Radio enthusiast... He is licensed and talks with people all around the world.. not to mention belongs to a club.. That meats up with others between here and Sandpoint.
He has 3 uber tall antenna thingies on his property.
As for me,, I can barely operate my cell phone.. I can't even imagine yacking on a Ham Radio..... LOLOL!

Susan,, where in WA do you live?

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Aug 08 2020 8:19:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  11:49:42 AM  Show Profile
Great subject!! A merit badge for this would be so nice. My uncle was big into ham radio. He tried to talk me into it but at the time you had to learn morse code. I just didn't feel like I had the time. He had a very tall tower at his house in Florida. When I was visiting he took me to the neighbors who as working on his tower. When I saw the guy up on his tower working on something I said nope!

My uncle has been gone for several years now. He really loved talking to people all over the US and often told me to give people his call name if I ran into others who had ham radios.

It would be great to "meet" farmsisters over the radio!

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

ManyLeaves
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Susan
WA
17 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2023 :  10:02:54 AM  Show Profile
Katmom - I live between Republic and Tonasket south of Wauconda Pass. No big antennas here. My 2 meter antenna is a J pole mounted just above my deck, that I can easily take down if I leave or a storm is coming. I would love to have a big Yagi antenna for my HF radio, but the cost - thousands - is prohibitive. And there is no way I am climbing a tower to work on it at my age!!!!
Go to Top of Page

ManyLeaves
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Susan
WA
17 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2023 :  10:15:41 AM  Show Profile
Katmom - I live between Republic and Tonasket south of Wauconda Pass. No big antennas here. My 2 meter antenna is a J pole mounted just above my deck, that I can easily take down if I leave or a storm is coming. I would love to have a big Yagi antenna for my HF radio, but the cost - thousands - is prohibitive. And there is no way I am climbing a tower to work on it at my age!!!!
My call is WZ5D
Go to Top of Page

Terralea
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Terra
Midland Michigan
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2023 :  11:48:31 AM  Show Profile
This is a topic that on the surface seems fun and playful. However, given our worlds state of affairs it seems absolutely essential to have the skills necessary to utilize. I’ve been meaning to check out our local club. Thank you all so much for the reminder.

Blessings!

Terralea

Terralea
Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Amateur Radio - Ham Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page