Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Chit Chat
 Her-story:- Rosie Batty
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Her-story:- Rosie Batty Next Topic  

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2021 :  8:39:55 PM  Show Profile
I chose to research Rosie Batty and I read her autobiography entitled “A Mother’s Story”. Rosemary Anne "Rosie" Batty, AO (born 1962) is an English-born Australian domestic violence campaigner and the 2015 Australian of the Year. Her role as a campaigner began in 2014 after her 11-year-old son Luke Batty was murdered by his father.
As a campaigner, she has spoken publicly about her experiences as a survivor of domestic violence to raise public awareness and advocate for social changes. Rosie is considered to have had a significant influence on national public attitudes, philanthropy, government initiatives and funding, support services and police and legal procedures related to domestic violence in Australia.

Five things that I have learned about Rosie are:-
(1) When Rosie was six years old her mother died, and she was raised by nannies and her maternal grandmother. Rosie says that her mother's death had a long term impact: "I have not really formed permanent relations with anybody; I have never been married and neither have my two other brothers. I think it really traumatises you from having key relationships because of that fear that they are going to leave you."
(2) Rosie began speaking publicly about her experience after addressing the media the morning after Luke's murder. She became an advocate for domestic violence survivors and victims, and sought to address perceived systemic failures in responses to domestic violence in Australia. She has spoken about a lack of communication between services, about public perceptions of domestic violence, about a lack of funding, and about police and legal procedures that she felt disempowered her ability to protect herself and her son. In 2014, Rosie established the Luke Batty Foundation to assist women and children affected by domestic violence.
(3) Rosie's story was instrumental in the establishment in 2015 of the Royal Commission into Family Violence in her home state of Victoria. It was tabled in Parliament on 30 March 2016. The report is a culmination of a 13-month inquiry into how to effectively prevent family violence, improve early intervention, support victims, make perpetrators accountable, better coordinate community and government response, and evaluate and measure strategies, frameworks, policies, programs and services. The report includes eight volumes, and is founded on 227 recommendations made by the Commission to improve, guide and oversee a long-term reform program that deals with family violence. This includes the establishment of the Family Violence Protection Act, which provides a detailed definition of family violence, the relationships in which it can arise, and a reinforcement of the sound objectives and principles of the Act.
(4) In 2016, then Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said of domestic violence in Australia that "cultural change requires a great advocate and Rosie has been able to do that in a way that I think nobody has done before". On 10 June 2019, she was appointed an Officer of the Order of Australia in the general division as part of the Queen's Birthday 2019 Honours recognition for her "distinguished service to the community as a campaigner and advocate for the prevention of family violence".
(5) Fortune Magazine named Rosie as one of its top 50 world’s greatest leaders and Rosie was voted the most influential person in the Not for Profit sector on Pro Bono Australia’s Impact 25 list. She has also been inducted into the Victorian Honour Roll of Women. More recently Rosie received an Honorary Doctorate from the University of the Sunshine Coast for her contribution to raising national awareness and action concerning Family Violence. She is also an Ambassador for Our Watch and the Lort Smith Animal Hospital, Patron of Doncare Community Services and a recipient of The Pride of Australia National Courage Medal.

Farmgirl #6058

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2021 :  11:17:15 PM  Show Profile
Cindy thanks for sharing Rosie Batty's story with us. It's a story that needs to be heard, and told over and over again.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2021 :  06:18:18 AM  Show Profile
It always amazes to learn what one lone person can do to significantly change/improve the lives of so many others, in this case women and children. But of course her name is Rosie, "We can do this!" Thanks for such an inspirational morning read. Great way to start our day.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2021 :  06:27:17 AM  Show Profile
Wow, such a strong spokesperson for such an awful thing, domestic abuse! There are many closed doors holding this secret darkness in families. So few brave enough to leave or report it for fear of retribution or the feeling they somehow deserve it. I see that a lot needs to be changed here in Alabama. I pray a "Rosie" will arise here and that she too will make a change for the positive. Thank you Cindy for sharing some powerful history.

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2021 :  12:37:31 PM  Show Profile
Wow Cindy! Thank you for the story about Rosie. It's so sad she had to experience such a tragedy, but it's so amazing that she can take her pain and story and make changes and stand up for those in need. She's a very powerful woman. I hope she continues to grow!

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Her-story:- Rosie Batty Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page