Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Any Recommendations for Herbs for Teas?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Any Recommendations for Herbs for Teas? Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2021 :  11:22:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

Like most of you, I'm in full-swing, furiously planning my spring garden. I am wondering what types of herbs you all grow for teas, and what your favorite home grown tea blends are? Last year, I dehydrated some rose petals and mint, then mixed them with my favorite English breakfast tea; but I would like to get more creative this year... WHAT should I grow?! How should I blend them? Please help! Please share your favorite herbs and blends, which ones you like to relax with, which ones you just enjoy, and maybe even some medicinal teas...or teas blends for beauty or the tub. (Although I don't have a tub anymore, I think fragrant tub tea sachets are a lovely gift idea tucked into a birthday card or tied in a bundle for Christmas gift-giving!) Whatever your fancy! I would really love to try!

Also, I have a penchant for violet tea blended with black tea... Do any of you know what type of violets would be perfect for tea? I would LOVE to grow them! I have loved violets since I was a wee little girl! The more, the cheerier!

Thanks so much!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2021 :  05:28:07 AM  Show Profile
Common medicinal herbs for teas are rosemary, thyme, Greek oregano, sage, and spearmint. I use them at the start of a cold. Sage is especially good for flu symptoms. Rose hips are high in Vitamin C. I don't have a favorite blend I just use what I have.

Dried herbs are stronger than fresh. I like a combination of dried & fresh herbs for tea. Harvest early in the morning after dew is dried and the oil in the herbs is at it's peak.

I have grown violas for teas. I also wild harvest the little violets that show up in the spring in my yard. A couple of years ago I transplanted some to a flower bed.

Any of the flavored mints are good in tea. Spearmint is the one for medicinal purposes. Chocolate mint I like better in coffee than tea.

If I have to pick a favorite blend it would be dried hibiscus flowers (I buy it), rose hips, and mint.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2021 :  07:01:59 AM  Show Profile
Oh! Thank you, Sara!!! I definitely grow those herbs... Even have some dried and on the shelf already! I will start playing with them today! Yay!

I will try to find some wild violets, too! What a pefectly lovely idea!

I actually have two hibiscus in my garden.... Can I use flowers from any hibiscus? I never even thought of that! Great idea!

I have some Johnny Jump Up seeds... Will those be ok to use? I will definitely look for violas this year, too.

I have never been a fan of rosehips; however, I suspect ones from my own roses will be much better than anything store bought. I will try to gather them this year for sure!

I guess I'm a little confused as to what flowers are safe or better to use for flavor, and/or whether there are only certain strains I should use or avoid? For example, I know any rose petal can be used for tea, but the most fragrant antique roses have the strongest and best flavor.

This is going to be so much fun! Thanks so, so much!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - May 07 2021 :  06:22:07 AM  Show Profile
Nini I love making tea with fresh oregano from the garden. It tastes like mint. I steep it for at least 10 minutes.

Vintage sewing machines, original parts & related book titles.- http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - May 10 2021 :  2:50:47 PM  Show Profile
Nini.. my favorite home grown herb tea is a blend of 1 part dry lavender buds and 2 parts dried chocolate mint leaves..
It just makes me happy.

Oh, and the rule of thumb with lavender is,, the lighter in color the less 'camphor' the taste,, the darker the stronger the taste.

I usually grow 1 Sharon Roberts Lavender bush,, it is almost a white color and perfect for the tea blend.
But when cooking or baking I use Provance' lavender buds.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - May 11 2021 :  06:28:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nini, The best violets for tea are the purple ones that grow in lawns here in PA. These are native plants and this time of year my yard is full of them. Just make sure chemicals aren't used on the lawn. I also recommend a French Press for your tea. So much easier than stuffing a tea ball!
I like mint in my tea. I have dried it but of course fresh is so good in cold tea or hot.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - May 11 2021 :  06:44:55 AM  Show Profile
I use a blend of mint with dried elderberries. I have some elderberry juice to sweeten it. I also have some elderberry infused honey that I treat myself with once a week. Elderberry has so many health benefits.

I also have a blend of ashawagangha, holy basil krishna, ginger, clove, and cinnamon. My CRP (Inflammatory) numbers have been over the top at my last check ups. (Fibromyalgia) I am hoping this will bring those numbers down to avoid additional medication.

Sherone

Lean on me, when you're not strong, And I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on, For it won't be long, 'Til I'm gonna need, Somebody to lean on.

Farmgirl Sister #93

Our Blog
http://www.tinytaylorhomestead.com

Our Etsy Shops
https://www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

https://www.taylorstowels.etsy.com

https://tinytaylorhomestead.com

Our Thrive Life Store

https://www.tinytaylorhomestead.thrivelife.com

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2654 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2654 Posts

Posted - May 14 2021 :  9:06:28 PM  Show Profile
I like sage tea, works wonder when your sick too, helps a sore throat. Just steep dried sage leaves.

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - May 14 2021 :  11:44:08 PM  Show Profile
Andrea,, I too use a French Press for my tea....
I posted a photo of a little 'jacket/warmer' I made for mine... now if only I could remember were the photo is..

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 16 2021 :  9:37:38 PM  Show Profile
Oh, girls! Thank you so much! I am sorry - time has really escaped me this month. I am defintely going to try your recommendations!

Connie - honest to Pete, I never thought of oregano tea! Just planted a bunch! Will definitely try! Thank you!

Gracie - I just planted a bunch of lavender today, and my cousin gave me a MOUND of chocolate mint to plant from her garden earlier this spring! Can't wait to try that! I planted English Lavender this year - will that work? I used to always have Provence, but we lost them one year, and the ones at the nursery weren't looking to healthy today. I'll have to find it elsewhere. I just love it! Thank you for the helpful hint - I had no idea about the color and strength!!! The lady at the nursery told me any lavender would be fine. I wish I had done a little search online first! Or, I dunno... GOT BACK ON MJF AND READ THE RESPONSES! LOL! Life...What a hoot!

Thank you for the tips, Andrea! I had a "miracle" violet plant show up in my garden a couple of years ago out of the blue - I had been commenting to a friend how much I loved them, then one morning - voila! a huge, lovely wild violet appeared. It didn't make it through this past winter, though. I've been on the search at the nurseries for them, but can't find them. I did notice them at the park, though. Do you think that would be the same thing you're talking about - wild violets? If so, I'm going to ask a groundskeeper if I can take a little bit for my garden. I just love them. When I first had them in tea, I couldn't believe how delicious it was! Now I'd love to make my own, for sure! And I do use a French Press for coffee...I'm going to have to take your and Gracie's advice and get one for my tea, too! That's an awesome idea!! Thanks, girls!

Sherone - I bet that mint and elderberry tea is delish! I actually have a huge jar of dried elderberries and lots of mint in the garden. Will try this week, for sure! Thank you! I need to find a good source to purchase an elderberry bush/plant or two. Are you able to recommend anything online??? Our local berry farm carries them, but I'd really like to grow my own, if possible! That blend sounds really good, too! You know, I suffer from inflammation, too. I started Keto last month, and the first change I noticed was no inflammation - it virtually disappeared after dropping all carbs and sugar. No pain at all, either! I feel so much better, it's incredible. And I don't feel deprived one bit. The diet is just so not what we were told growing up - high, healthy fats, a little protein and lots of veggies. I do also take some supplements, but I always have. I just can't believe the difference in just a month. I wish I could lose more weight faster, but I know 1-2 lbs a week is a healthy way to go. I'm just going to be patient and hang in there. Even if I didn't lose the weight, how I FEEL is totally worth it. Just thought I'd mention it, because I know what inflammation is like. Yuck.

Thank you, April! I have a good bit of sage out in the garden right now, and some dried up in the cupboard. I will DEFINITELY try that! Especially for sore throats! Awesome! 'Matter of fact, I planted pineapple sage today. I bet that would make a LOVELY tea - hot OR iced!!! Thank you!

Gracie - I remember that French press jacket you made! Adorable!!! That's right - now I remember... I think we talked about the wonders of a French press before - I will have to try to find that strain, too!

I have roses and lots of mint like chocolate mint, peppermint, spearmint, mojito mint and one that was just marked "mint" in my garden for tea... Today I added a whole host of herbs like lemon balm, chamomile and horehound and the usual culinary herbs to the mix. I still have to plant some flowers... I know nasturtium leaves are very good for you in tea, as well as a few others, but I can't remember at the moment. I'll have to see and let you know what's on my list! If there are any others you can think of, please do share! I'm really wanting to make as many of my own homemade teas and blends this winter as possible! Such fun - and so, so good!

Thanks again, girls - you're the best! Can't wait to start brewing this week! YAY!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

VT Oma
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Sheila
Greensboro Vermont
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2021 :  08:24:10 AM  Show Profile
Since we moved I no longer have my elderberry, or my pepper mint, or our big vegetable garden. but I told my husband I was going to do some container plants, so I have the Chamoile, lavender and some tomato so I will have to see, I know that it is too late to plant seeds, so I will get plants from the Farmers Market. O yea some type of squash re-seeded, so I will have to see what it is, LOL

Sheila
Farmgirl

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2021 :  1:53:50 PM  Show Profile
Sheila,, I know some gals actually do not let the time of year deter them from 'pot gardens'... not That kind of Pot! lol!
but actually plant on moveable racks and place near sunny windows,, and during winter they use grow lights..
I haven't had much luck with some plants indoors because our house is a North, South location.. and the front is South facing... bummer.
My last house was an East West setting,, and I had a lovely bay window perfect for my plants.

Let us know how your pot garden (teehee teehee!) works out...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2021 :  1:31:14 PM  Show Profile
I don't let the heat stop me for sure! I just planted a bunch of nasturtiums for my salad. I like planting in pots in succession so I'll have something year round.

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Any Recommendations for Herbs for Teas? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page