Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 Hygge for a new and different way of coping
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Hygge for a new and different way of coping Next Topic  

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2021 :  4:09:54 PM  Show Profile
hello I thought this would be a good thing for all of us
life has changed in so many ways this year and we all are in need of Hygge right now

What's the real meaning of Hygge?

Danish word used when acknowledging a feeling or moment, whether alone or with friends and family

Hygge is a coziness that makes a person feel content and comfortable.

Think of it as a warm embrace or a hug for your mind and body.
its that simple and a great way to de-stress at the end of a long day or busy week.

coziness, charm, happiness, contented, security, familiarity, comfort, reassurance, kinship, and simpleness.

Hygge doesn’t require learning “how-to”, or adopting it as a lifestyle or buying anything.

If you've ever enjoyed reading a book indoors on a rainy Sunday or a cup of hot cocoa or tea on a snow day, you've experienced hygge without even knowing it.

taking time to relax and restore, it doesn't necessarily mean becoming a hermit. Spending time with loved ones, over a good meal at home

Hygge is a Danish concept that encompasses the feeling of quiet comfort.

Elements of hygge include plush textures, greenery, and warm, neutral shades. The feeling hygge is supposed to evoke is extreme coziness.
from reading a great book to lighting a candle "hygge" can be expressed in many different ways, but the premise remains the same: contentment.

Candles
A scented candle or few tea lights is one of the best little luxuries in life.
Hygge is about relishing the small things, and a delicious candle not only adds a calming scent to your space but, provides a hint of warmth that makes you want to cozy up.

Light the Fireplace
If you're lucky enough to have a working fireplace, embrace it. think of lighting a fire on a chilly summer night under the stars is a great way to relax and rejuvenate.

Hygge is really about what makes you feel content and happy.
you can create a space anywhere, in a corner of your living room a nook in your bedroom, creating a warm atmosphere

all you need is a comfortable place to sit, soft lighting, a warm throw, your super comfy jammies and toasty soft socks that might have been knit by someone who cares about you,

The warm glow of candlelight, a scented candle Vanilla or Lavender is good, a good book and a warm drink. maybe some soft music, its all about quiet comfort .

your can do this with your children before bedtime reading them a story

or with your partner at the end of the day, snuggled up on the couch warm throw in front of the fire or a just a couple of candles on the coffee table, a hot cocoa

you get the idea you probably have already do hygge and just didn't know, or never put a name to it.

now more than ever with covid changing our lives we need lots of Hygge.

so go hygge ..

All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes

Deborah
jersey farmgirl

Edited by - debtea2 on Mar 04 2021 4:24:57 PM

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2678 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2678 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2021 :  4:50:25 PM  Show Profile
Deborah, such a beautiful post and necessary reminder to us all. I have been trying to incorporate more hygge (intentionally) into my life, my heart and soul are definately past due for some nurturing! Thank you for posting for all of us farmgirls, such a beautiful reminder to self love.

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2021 :  5:01:37 PM  Show Profile
thank you, I am so happy you liked it.
hugs & Hygge

All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes

Deborah
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

mj16001
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

marti
Saxonburg PA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2021 :  06:24:13 AM  Show Profile
I loved reading this post. I have been practicing hygge consciously, for over a year now. I find myself gravitating to comfortable, soft clothes as opposed to the latest trend. I relish that first cup of coffee early in the morning, but have opted for cinnamon apple spice tea later in the day. Knitting and crocheting have kept my hands busy and my mind from worrying about all the "what if's". I've learned to connect with my family through ZOOM brunches and messenger chat. I know it sounds crazy, but I've even found some comfort in wearing a mask. I'm now vaccinated and looking forward to hugging my grandson. It's been a long time coming, but I think the lesson I've learned over the past year is to count my blessings, even in "the storm", and to just quietly stop and smell the roses.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4099 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4099 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2021 :  03:07:32 AM  Show Profile
We all need and strive for hygge in our life. I happen to have danish heritage, so it fits perfect.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2021 :  4:51:21 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for adding your sentiments..
Its really all about taking time for yourself and and your loved ones.. Its about feeling comforted
sipping Warm tea while watching the sunrise..
Being in the quiet moment.

Deborah
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2021 :  08:06:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi Deborah,

Are you Danish? I ask because my husband and his family are from Denmark. All of his family is still there. I think your description was pretty good. There is no one-word English translation for the danish word “Hygge”. I first heard it thirty years ago from my husband, and giggle because we see it all over. I recently saw yarn with the label “Hygge”.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  03:56:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi
No I'm not danish. Lol
I just love hygge especially now with all that's going on. I'm so happy to share this with everyone,
However it translates its something a lot us do without realizing it.

Deborah
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Hygge for a new and different way of coping Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page