MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2021 :  2:15:10 PM  Show Profile
It’s been about 3 years since I have had a garden and I’m so excited to get started on it again! Hubby is buying my wood today on his way home from work and we will begin building the boxes. I am so excited and already have a rough sketch of how I would like it. It will be my biggest garden yet and I just can’t wait. Just last week we planted some more raspberry starts as well as blackberry starts. I think I’m even going to try blueberries and put in a fruit tree. My goal for this year is to save as much as I can in my food storage. I hope all goes well!

Krista

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  6:32:42 PM  Show Profile
Although we have had a garden for a number of years, 2020 was our first garden on our new 10 acres so I can relate to your excitement. Hey, my Mother’s Day gift was a TON of Dairy Doo!!! We had produce to eat fresh, to can & freeze, to share. What enjoyment you have coming your way-share some pictures please . . .
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2021 :  2:04:07 PM  Show Profile
I will for sure, Sharon! We got the boxes built last night and picked up our soil. This weekend we will make sure everything is level and start filling up the boxes. I will also go pick up my seeds!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2021 :  08:34:08 AM  Show Profile
How EXCITING, Krista! I'm sure it will go VERY well! You've got the can-do attitude, farmgirl sister! You GO girl! And yes, please share pictures!!!

Sharon - how funny the things we get excited about! I'd LOVE dairy doo for Mother's Day! LOL!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2021 :  12:53:09 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Nini. We have had some pretty big rain and snow storms keeping me inside, so I haven’t had a chance to finish yet. I’m hoping for some better weather soon.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  05:27:03 AM  Show Profile
Good for you , Krista! With your new farm, it will be fun to add a nice garden with all of your favorites. You will have to share some photos when you get it iup and growing and then let us know how it all rolls out over the growing season. I am sure your children will also be very interested in how it all works and will have fun when harvesting and eating the profits happens.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  1:55:51 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, we bought the seeds this week and my kids are so excited to get out and help me plant them. We will be putting some seeds in this weekend and building the fence as well. I ended up buying more seeds than I planned. I seen so many things I wanted to try. Fingers crossed I can figure it all out this year. I will share pictures here shortly.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  10:43:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh how I want to get started on a garden,, but I am waiting till mid May,,, I am going to cheat this year and buy starts at the local nursery over in Cheney rather than plant seeds.... as for my 3 raspberries, Gooseberry, Johannesbaren (Currents) and grapes.. if they all survived.. I should have some lovely fruit this summer.. fingers and eyes crossed!

Krista,, you are going to have soooo much fun... and if you have access to any Alpaca poo,,, be sure to generously share/till it into your garden..
Our local Alpaca poo source moved so I had to resort to Goat & sheep poo,,, we run it through the mulcher then till it into the garden...I was over whelmed with tomatoes, onions, beets etc...

Krista,, just think of the canning you'll get to do... fyi, stock up on canning supplies as soon as they hit the stores.. they do go fast, at least they do around here.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2021 :  1:37:57 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Grace. We got our fence built and some of the seeds planted. We got the onions, carrots, peas, and broccoli planted. Waiting until mid April to do the next set of seeds and then mid May I’ll get some starts as well. Trying a bunch of different stuff this year to see what works and what I like. I also started writing down all my notes so I can keep track and remember.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2021 :  1:38:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh and Grace, I have actually been eyeing some canning supplies on amazon. Maybe I should get them soon.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2021 :  10:18:38 AM  Show Profile
I recommend you get them now. There are no lids and only some jelly jars left around me. No canners either.

I'm excited for you and your family - what a great adventure you're having on your new farm. I hope you have great luck with your garden this year :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2021 :  2:14:35 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Heather. I’ll get them ordered. I really don’t want to be without. I already have the bottles and equipment I just need the lids. Thank you. I hope it works out great!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2021 :  08:05:53 AM  Show Profile
That is a good idea Heather. I have a lot of jars but very few lids and rings. They were at a premium here last year. Along with tomatoe cages. Thank goodness I had a bunch of those around. I froze a lot of tomatoes since we didnt have lids.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2021 :  12:47:37 PM  Show Profile
All my raspberry plants have buds and new starts popping up. So do my blackberries! Oh I am getting so excited! Still no seeds popping up but it’s barely been a week. I should be seeing some poking through this week!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2021 :  1:57:26 PM  Show Profile
Well I still can't get my garden started,, and we are due in some rain soon... but at least my Amaryllis plant is blooming...

I did check out my Gooseberry, Johannesburg berries and raspberries,, and I have buds...
My strawberries are coming back as well as my chives and I even spotted 1 asparagus poking up...

I am actually toying with planting sweet potatoes this year.... anyone one else grow them? any tips?

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2021 :  1:44:57 PM  Show Profile
I thought about doing sweet potatoes but decided to try them next year. How long have you had your asparagus? I want to do them as well but need to do some more research. I heard you have to wait 2 years before you can harvest them.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2021 :  10:47:03 AM  Show Profile
Krista,, this in the 2nd year... fingers and eyes crossed they will sprout.. last night it got down to 17'degrees.. Brrr!
I am hoping my baby chives and the 1 asparagus did not get damaged... my Bee Balm looks ok thus far as do my berries,,,

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2021 :  12:34:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh yummy Grace! Are you going to harvest them this year? We got into the 20s last night. I only have broccoli poking through and I hope they will be ok too. This dang freezing weather needs to go away. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for your stuff as well.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2021 :  1:15:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh Krista,,, lol! if only asparagus comes up... hubby and I will have to share it.. lol!
fingers crossed the others will poke their crowns through the soil soon...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2021 :  5:35:08 PM  Show Profile
You laugh about sharing 1 asparagus but I can relate. One year I thought it would be good to plant the peas so they could grow up the fence. I mistakenly thought the electric fence would keep the cows away from them. Right before I harvested them someone decided they were too good to resist. My husband and I shared one spoonful of peas LOL! They were the best peas I've ever had though! I now put them in the garden LOL!!!

I have some peas poking up out of the ground and my chives are doing really well. I'm not sure why but my mint and oregano is coming up already too. We're supposed to get in the 30's this weekend and the mint and oregano aren't usually up this early so we'll see what happens with them. Oh, and the radishes are up too. Nothing else is planted outside yet.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2021 :  1:31:21 PM  Show Profile
I would have to share mine 4 ways! We did that with our new raspberries last year lol. We would have only 2 ripe ones, so we would split each one in half just so we all got a taste. Luckily my husband doesn’t care much for fruit and veggies, so we don’t have to share with him.

I went out Monday and had a pea plant poking through! I’m so excited to see my little fellas coming up. But we are having super high winds ( 70mph) and flurries of snow mixed with rain. This weather is making me crazy. I’m hoping for some sunshine soon.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2021 :  6:57:28 PM  Show Profile
LOL! ahh, the perils of gardening... you just never know if your 'abundant' crop will yield 1 or 100 asparagus, peas, berries.. and we eagerly look forward to planting again the next year!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2021 :  12:59:14 PM  Show Profile
I think that’s what makes it so exciting and adventures. The unknown of what you will get and what you will do with all or how little you get too.

We are still getting crappy weather. It’s really starting to bum me out.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2021 :  12:46:24 PM  Show Profile
We got a hard freeze warning for tonight with super high winds. I'm starting to feel defeated. I really hope my plants survive this as well as anyone elses crops around here. I do have some more pea sprouts popping through. Fingers crossed they make it.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2021 :  8:40:35 PM  Show Profile
My Granddaughter, Madison, and I planted zucchini and tomatoes! We are trying again and using compost this time! We have started our own compost pile and are eagerly awaiting the rewards from our labor! We can't wait for fresh from our garden produce. We are going to plant some root veggies in pots on our patio, too! We need to get a move on or it will be too late to plant them! So exciting!

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

isewbernina
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Kathy
Salina KS
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2021 :  8:54:35 PM  Show Profile
My Pie Plant (rhubarb) is up and ready to harvest. I love that stuff! Hope there will be enough for a pie and some sauce.
Kathy

“Kindness is Free, Sprinkle that Stuff Everywhere.”

"I was cut out to be rich but I was sewn up wrong"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Garden Gate: Previous Topic First garden in years Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page