Page: of 4

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2021 :  7:30:31 PM  Show Profile
Looks great Krista! My garden didn't get planted this year. Real estate is so busy, and we got a new puppy!
I just found out pumpkin leaves are edible! Did you guys know that?
I would assume squash leaves are too.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2021 :  1:19:38 PM  Show Profile
I had no idea that pumpkin leaves were edible. How exactly would you eat them? I loves puppies! They are worth a year off.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2021 :  3:38:51 PM  Show Profile
I needed some carrots to go in my slow cooker chicken noodle soup, so why not grab fresh from the garden! My kids helped me pick a bunch and we put some in the soup and washed the rest for snacking.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2021 :  08:24:31 AM  Show Profile
I haven't been able to check my garden in 2 days. We have been getting poured on by rain and everything is super muddy. I'm hoping we dry out a little today so I can see what's now ready for picking. I sure hope my garden enjoyed all this rain.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2021 :  1:03:49 PM  Show Profile
Wonderful carrots, Krista!! I love their colors and I know the kids loved the experience of picking them and later eating them, What a great way to introduce kids to eating more vegetables too. So glad you area is getting some much needed rain as well.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2021 :  12:56:31 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, I finally adventured into my garden yesterday. It’s still pretty muddy but I found so many goodies! I had 2 large zucchini, a bucket full of tomatoes, and 3 cucumbers. We also found a bunch more pumpkins popping up! They are starting to look so pretty! This rain was very much needed for my garden.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2021 :  12:58:14 PM  Show Profile
Here is my cool looking pumpkin.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2021 :  7:54:35 PM  Show Profile
Krista,, isn't playing in the garden the Best!!!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2021 :  4:10:51 PM  Show Profile
Krista, your garden is becoming full of neat surprises! I bet the kids love watching these veggies grow and change.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2021 :  08:11:44 AM  Show Profile
Grace, it really is! I have really enjoyed this year even though some plants gave me a little trouble.

Winnie, Everleigh is the one who absolutely loves the garden. She gets so excited when something new appears. She even picked off all the ripe tomatoes again yesterday. She picked us some carrots and then took one out for Finny to eat. Zeus doesn't like them lol! The boys enjoy the food but don't get excited about finding them and picking them like Everleigh does.

I made a pasta salad yesterday and used the tomatoes, zucchini, and cucumbers from my garden. It's such an awesome feeling! Also made some lemon zucchini bread and pear crumble with my dad's pears!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2021 :  10:55:46 AM  Show Profile
Yum, Krista!! Your garden veggies made some wonderful summer treats for the family to enjoy too!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2021 :  1:59:37 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, I have so many tomatoes and zucchini right now that I don’t know what I’m going to do. I’m going to have to share some with neighbors and freeze the rest. It’s crazy how everything comes on all at once.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2021 :  12:46:55 PM  Show Profile
Can I just say how much I dislike squash bugs!! I have been dealing with a never ending battle with them and I think they finally won over my pumpkins. I’m so upset. I swear those little buggers hide so good that I can never catch them all. It’s been a very frustrating ordeal and I feel defeated. I hate watching all my hard work just die.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2021 :  1:59:51 PM  Show Profile
I hate them too. The best solution for me has been planting as late as possible, late June/early July. I seem to have better luck this way. Love all your carrots! I've never has any luck.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2021 :  1:45:16 PM  Show Profile
I was doing some research about planting repellent plants next to them in hopes of deterring them away next year. I’ll have to give it a shot. We are so hot by June and July that I’m not sure if that will be to late in the year. I’ll have to do some research. Thanks Lisa.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2021 :  1:23:01 PM  Show Profile
I picked the remainder of my tomatoes last night and will be turning them into salsa now. I already fished my first jar of salsa, so I can’t wait until this next one is ready.

I also picked what pumpkins I had because the plant is officially dead thanks to the squash bugs. My zucchini has also really started to slow down. I feel like the end of my season will be approaching soon.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2021 :  4:09:36 PM  Show Profile
SALSA?? Krista, did you say Salsa??? I'll be right over!

I am down to 3 jars left of my Salsa... I need to quit inviting family over for Chips -n- dip nights!!! lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2021 :  1:14:04 PM  Show Profile
I hear ya Grace! I finished mine a long time ago and can’t manage to save any lol! It’s just so addicting. Come on over. I would love to have a visit with you. Come on over!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2021 :  08:02:39 AM  Show Profile
Krista, your garden looks lovely (catching up on post)and it looks like it is quite prolific. I was hoping to can this year, but I didn't get started early enough, meaning buying more canning jars, and now everywhere I look they are sold out. I did buy a freezer, and looking forward to filling it with lots of homemade goodies.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Edited by - ceridwen on Sep 19 2021 08:03:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2021 :  12:22:40 PM  Show Profile
I hear ya Carole. I needed some canning supplies back in May to can some chicken with family and I struggled then. I’ll have to grab some any time I can see any just to stock up. I hope you can fill your freezer right up with your goodies!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2021 :  2:17:38 PM  Show Profile
I collected the rest of my squash from the garden. All I have left is carrots and potatoes. We have a freeze supposed to be coming with the storm that's coming in. So my garden is done for the year. It's been an awesome trial year and I can't wait for next year!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2021 :  6:16:38 PM  Show Profile
Be sure & let these “harden off” if you are going to store them ( versus preparing for your freezer). Should be able to research online hardening off techniques/ methods.
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2021 :  08:09:46 AM  Show Profile
Krista, great job! And I'm trying to wrap my head around freezing temps...we are in the 90s today. BLAH. I don't necessarily want freezing, but 70s would be great!

I hate squash bugs with a passion. Yes, they hide under every crack and crevice. The only way I stayed ahead was by planting only small numbers of squash and handpicking those suckers (and eggs) off every day or every other day. I bought a huge pair of tweezers just for that and throw the bugs in soapy water in a coffee can I carry around. They are total creeps. And then we have stinkbugs on the tomatoes and they are every bit as annoying. You gotta fight to keep your garden going. Lol.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2021 :  3:21:29 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Sharon. I will look into what that means. I wasn’t planning on saving any. I am sharing with family but would love to know how to store for next year!

Amanda, I agree. I love the 70s temps but it seems we only get them for about a week anymore. We always go straight to cold. And I’m with you on those dang squash bugs. I have never been so frustrated with a bug before lol. Definitely a lot of work to keep a garden alive. Probably why it means even more when you eat your hard earned work.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Garden Gate: Previous Topic First garden in years Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page