tigger9777
Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader & Guru / FG Guide

152 Posts

Candy
Oakley CA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2021 :  2:52:34 PM  Show Profile
I continued to work on the Geography merit badge today.
In January I finished Beginner level, March 18th I finished Intermediate level Next is to post what I have learned. It was good to review the continents, oceans and capitals. Learning about maps and cartography was interesting. My pen pal lives in London England, but she is originally from Scotland. I planned a "fake" vacation to visit her and learned about the fees for air flight, hotel, air B&B, car rental and average food prices in London.
Finally, I am posting on chit chat and on my badge application I will attach a picture of my ancestry.com family tree page.

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2021 :  2:13:00 PM  Show Profile
Nice work Candy. I remember in elementary school I knew every states capital. I have become very rusty over the years. I should practice them again. Congratulations on finishing both your beginner and intermediate badges!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2021 :  08:17:24 AM  Show Profile
Great job Candy! My son had to do a big 1k mile trip last year for drivers training. He had to plot his course of where he was going, he chose Boston, and factor in costs for gas, food, incidentals and hotel. It was a lot of work and we really want to take that trip when the pandemic ends. I haven't been to Boston in years and would love for my son to take the heritage trail and drive out to Lexington & Concord as well.

I hope you get a chance to visit your penpal in London. It is a beautiful city with amazing history and gardens.

Dawn in IL

"It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold, when it is summer in the light and winter in the shade." Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

isewbernina
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Kathy
Salina KS
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2021 :  5:29:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi Candy,
I am curious as to how you found your PenPal. I would love to do this Merit Badge but a bit hesitant looking for a PenPal. Would you mind telling me how to do this? I am looking for someone from Wales.
Sincerely,
Kathy Heidel

“Kindness is Free, Sprinkle that Stuff Everywhere.”

"I was cut out to be rich but I was sewn up wrong"
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

345 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
345 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2021 :  3:13:47 PM  Show Profile
I had previously researched Cambodia for my intermediate Geography badge & also for my Languages/Culture badge and, the more I explore this fascinating country, the more interested I have become in one day traveling there to see it for myself. So, now for my expert badge, I will share what I have learned about this amazing country.

Cambodia is a country with a history both inspiring and depressing. One can ascend to the realm of the gods at Angkor Wat, a spectacular fusion of spirituality, symbolism and symmetry, but then one can also descend into the darkness of Tuol Sleng to witness the crimes of the Khmer Rouge.

Cambodia is fringed by beautiful beaches and tropical islands, sustained by the mother waters of the Mekong River and cloaked in some of the region’s few remaining emerald wildernesses. Cambodia’s pristine environment is a big draw for adventurous ecotourists, but much of it is currently under threat. Ancient forests are being razed to make way for plantations, rivers are being sized up for major hydroelectric power plants and the south coast is being explored by leading oil companies. Places like the Cardamom Mountains are in the front line and it remains to be seen whether the environmentalists or the economists will win the debate.

There are about 16 million people living in Cambodia. According to official statistics, more than 90% of the people who live in Cambodia are ethnic Khmers, making the country the most ethnically homogenous in Southeast Asia. However, unofficially, the figure is probably smaller due to the large influx of Chinese and Vietnamese in the past century. Phnom Penh is the country’s capital. The glimmering spires of the Royal Palace, the fluttering saffron of the monk’s robes and the luscious location on the banks of the mighty Mekong – this is the Asia many day-dream about from afar (much like myself). One amazing description that I read describes the capital like this:- “Motorbikes whiz through laneways without a thought for pedestrians; markets exude pungent scents; and all the while the sounds of life – of commerce, of survival – reverberate through the streets.” Once the ‘Pearl of Asia’, Phnom Penh’s shine was tarnished by the impact of war and revolution. But the city has risen from the ashes to take its place among the hip capitals of the region, with alluring café culture, bustling bars and a world-class food scene.

For my intermediate badge, I had planned a trip to Cambodia which would include first exploring the city of Phnom Penh, visiting the Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda and the Killing Fields of Choeung Ek - which tell the story of the tragic legacy of the Khmer Rouge. From Phnom Penh, we would take a riverboat to Siem Reap on the Tonle Sap river. This passes by rural villages where you can watch quiet moments of daily life play out in front of you on the water. In Siem Reap we would visit the temples of Angkor (Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, the 'Great Royal City', and Bayon Temple). Here we would also visit the Sala Bai Hotel School where underprivileged local youths learn skills that enable them to find gainful employment in the hospitality industry. Other sites around Siem Reap are the Ta Prohm temple, Srah Srang Lake, Banteay Srei, and the vaulted corridors of Preah Khan.

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2021 :  1:52:53 PM  Show Profile
Wow Cindy! Congratulations on finishing your intermediate and expert badges! I don’t know much about Cambodia, but it sounds fascinating. Even the picture you shared is stunning. When do you think you will visit?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

345 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
345 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2021 :  5:01:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Krista! I had actually arranged a trip to Cambodia for last year. I was to be part of a medical mission team - we had planned to head over to Phnom Penh to do 10 days of eye surgeries. Unfortunately, COVID struck just as I was about to book my flight and our trip was cancelled. I am definitely still keen to be part of the mission as soon as we are able to fly internationally again.

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2021 :  12:18:26 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, that is so amazing of you! My mother in law has done many medical missions to Africa. I love hearing all her stories. I hope you will be able to go soon. And be sure to share more once you do!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2021 :  4:28:28 PM  Show Profile
Candy and Cindy, congratulations on researching these interests of countries for your geography badge and planning a trip out to the smallest detail! Hopefully one day soon, both of you will be able to actually take these trips and oh what a wonderful adventure you will have!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Geography Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page