MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  3:37:51 PM  Show Profile
My new sweet baby boy came home last night and I am over the moon with excitement! And to be honest it was love at first sight! The kids have really enjoyed helping take care of him so far and we have all taken turns holding his bottle. He currently doesn't have a name still because nothing seems to fit. I hope to have one soon though. My border collie is in love with him too. She is always checking on him and lays down by him too. This morning she was even cleaning his face. I'm so happy to have him as a part of our family!

Krista

Edited by - MaryJanesNiece on May 28 2021 3:38:53 PM

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  6:29:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh, KRISTA! How EXCITING! What a cutie! So sweet! Congratulations!! God bless him! God bless them! God bless you all! SO happy for you!

Hugs and love,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - May 29 2021 :  06:59:19 AM  Show Profile
Krista, so happy he's home and everyone is looking after him. Love the picture of him with your border collie - he'll be well protected as he grows up.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.

Edited by - YellowRose on May 29 2021 06:59:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2862 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2862 Posts

Posted - May 29 2021 :  12:19:27 PM  Show Profile
How sweet Krista! What does Maylee think of him?

Edited by - nubidane on May 29 2021 12:19:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4899 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4899 Posts

Posted - May 30 2021 :  11:52:40 AM  Show Profile
Oh How precious!!! Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures!! I hope to get a border Collie someday !

Connie #3392
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9237 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9237 Posts

Posted - May 31 2021 :  04:37:03 AM  Show Profile
Krista how cute and sweet pictures! Love everyone is helping out. Look forward to seeing pics as he grows. He has a beautiful protector.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - May 31 2021 :  05:12:05 AM  Show Profile
Awwww, Krista, your new baby is darling!! What a sweet new family addition and I love how your dog is being such a good surrogate Mom to him too. You waited a long time for this little guy and I know the family is going to enjoy raising him up!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - May 31 2021 :  4:18:34 PM  Show Profile
Ya know what they say,,, "ya can't just have 1"... heeheehee!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2021 :  03:07:00 AM  Show Profile
Good luck I hope he does well.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  1:10:29 PM  Show Profile
We finally settled on a name. His name is Finnegan, but I call him Finny!

Lisa, Maylee was terrified of him the first day and by the second day they were playing around and chasing each other they are best buddies. But sadly Maylee ran into my garden fence and cut her side open. She had to go in for stitches and hasn’t been able to play but they are both dying to play again. Hopefully soon she can run around with him again.

Connie, you will love a border collie! My Ady is the sweetest dog ever!

Grace, I know! We are already taking about getting Finny a brother!

He has done so well! He has been eating all his bottles like a champ and enjoys playing with all of us. And he is just so sweet! Finny is now a week old and getting big!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  1:14:47 PM  Show Profile
Here is a better picture of my beautiful Finny!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4899 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4899 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  5:03:31 PM  Show Profile
Awww Finny is precious!!
Connie #3392
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2680 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2680 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  5:09:47 PM  Show Profile
Adorable! Love his name!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6438 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6438 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  5:47:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh Krista what a little cutie. I would never get any work done around the farm as I would be with Finny giving him lots of hugs and attention.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February 2018

“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels,and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.

Edited by - Blessed in Colorado on Jun 02 2021 5:48:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2021 :  3:01:35 PM  Show Profile
Debbie, that has been my problem! He is just so sweet. But man can he be pushy lol! The thrusting baby cows do definitely takes some getting use to!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2021 :  10:52:30 AM  Show Profile
He is adorable!!! Love the name you came up with! I'm laughing reading about his orneriness. Most people think the little babies are sweet little things, but more often than not if I get hurt from one of the animals on the farm it's a baby!!! They tend to kick when you're not looking and love to head butt you. But they're so cute you can't help but instantly forgive them and keep coming back for more LOL! Finny definitely needs a brother though :) We have a pen of 8 right now and it's so fun to watch them run and play.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2021 :  1:41:31 PM  Show Profile
No kidding Heather! I learned this last week. I had to run out to his corral really fast and wasn’t thinking and wore flip flops! I learned very quickly that is a TERRIBLE idea. He stepped on my poor piggies. I will never be doing that again! 8 babies sounds so fun! I love watching him run around and play. I so badly want to get him his brother but we put a hold on it for a moment. This last weekend was very rough ( and emotional) for me. I went out to feed Finny Saturday morning and he would not get up. He was very lethargic. I was freaking out. My husband was unavailable to come home and check on him until 5 that night. But I checked on him every hour to see how he was. We have been nursing him back to heath. Yesterday was much better he was standing up occasionally and was holding his head up. Today he greeted me as I came out to feed him and actually took his bottle this morning. Only half of what he normally eats but I’m just happy he’s getting better. Definitely not something I want to experience again.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2021 :  12:58:03 PM  Show Profile
I hope your toes are alright LOL!! I also hope Finny is doing better today. It's no fun when the babies are sick (human or animal).

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2021 :  4:03:02 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Heather! My toes are fine now. Finny is definitely taking me on an adventure of learning.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2021 :  4:44:26 PM  Show Profile
Krista, here's how I feed my calves. As they get bigger it's the only way to do it. Otherwise, the head butting makes it impossible for someone smaller like my grand girls to do it. Especially the male calves. Does your little guy have diarrhea? And did his cord get dipped with iodine several times for several days after he was born?

https://www.heritagejersey.org/chatroom/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=907

If you have any questions, don't hesitate. I have a certain bottle and nipple I prefer. I will check the brand tomorrow morning when I'm in my milking parlor and let you know.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2021 :  5:02:13 PM  Show Profile
Thank you MaryJane! I'll show that picture to my husband and have him get one made. He no longer has diarrhea. He only had it on Saturday. This is the first time I am hearing anything about iodine so no. It hasn't been done since he has been here. I'm unsure if the dairy did it. Why does this need to be done?
Thank you! Maybe it's the same bottle we have. We also cut slips in his nipple and made the air hole bigger. Hopefully we can get this figured out soon.

He now acts completely normal (aside from running around, cause he won't do it) he just won't eat.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2021 :  6:40:24 PM  Show Profile
The umbilical cord is a common entry for bacteria in young calves until it dries up and falls off. They can get a systemic infection that requires antibiotics. If his runny stools have improved, that's good. If they come back I can give you a recipe that usually fixes diarrhea. Make sure the nipple and bottle are super clean and the water you mix his formula with fresh and clean. He should be nibbling on hay by now, but if he's taking a bottle, that's a good thing. I assume he got colostrum from his momma right after he was born???? What breed is he? Are you going to turn him into a steer (band his testicles)?

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2021 :  7:23:16 PM  Show Profile
I make his bottles with the same water we drink and I wash his nipples and bottles with soap and water after each use. He is 2 weeks old today. He should be having hay? I thought he was still a bit to young for that. Yes, he got colostrum up until we picked him up. He is a Charolais and we will be turning him into a steer.

It's amazing how much research you can do and still not know it all. I'm so happy I can ask for help here!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2021 :  8:41:25 PM  Show Profile
I had one calf that walked over to the feeder about 4 hours after he was born and started eating hay. It may have to do with Finnegan not having an older cow around to show him how (I had a calf I named Finnegan--good name:) My friend Connie has a steer (probably 3 to 4 weeks old) that she is bottle feeding that isn't eating hay yet. His companion is her Great Dane. She was showing me pics the other day of how much they enjoy being together. I'll get her to send me a photo. A calf does need a companion. How much longer before Maylee can be with him again? It may cheer Finny up to be with Maylee again.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2021 :  04:12:10 AM  Show Profile
You might also get some calf feed for him. He might start eating on that, it is high in molasses usually.
that takes alittle longer then hay to get going on.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2021 :  1:54:20 PM  Show Profile
MaryJane, I will have to see what we can figure out with the hay. Luckily yesterday and so far today he has taken his bottle again. Slowly. But definitely better than it was before. We had talked about many different names before he came home, but once I seen him I knew he needed a more old fashioned name. It seemed like a perfect fit because Finnegan means “son of fairhaired”. Oh that is so sweet! I would love to see a picture. Let’s just say Maylee has been a real big pain. She ripped her stitches open, so I called my mother in law to come and stitch her back up. It’s finally getting a scab. I did take her with me last night to see him but he didn’t act interested in playing but enjoyed her being around. I will take her out again tonight. Ady is always going out with me to check on him, so he does get to see her a lot. I have been keeping my fingers crossed that another baby will be born soon so he can have a brother.

Thank you Michele.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic He's Here! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page