AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2021 :  12:16:26 AM  Show Profile
As you walk around our nearest country town of Esk, QLD, you can't help notice the colourful scarves wrapped around the trees in the main street. Not only does it indicate the start of winter, it also serves as an advertisement for our up and coming Garden Festival. It adds a beautiful splash of colour and the locals love it! A dedicated group of women take donated wool and knit the scarves throughout the year ready for installation in time for winter. I couldn't help but share this with my farmgirl friends!!

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6788 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6788 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2021 :  06:35:55 AM  Show Profile
Oh my Cindy, it's wonderful. When I read your title I was expecting to see strings of yarn hanging from the branches not a work of art.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2021 :  10:21:52 AM  Show Profile
That's great! I have heard about yarn bombs, but I have never actually seen one! What a good way to advertise an event. Love it!

Nancy 8352
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2678 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2678 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2021 :  5:12:41 PM  Show Profile
I love that Cindy! So festive! Do they by chance reuse these scarves? Perhaps donate to homeless? Our downtown Bend does something similar with hearts all over town during the month of February! Fun!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6513 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6513 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2021 :  10:31:45 AM  Show Profile
This is beautiful Cindy!! I also saw this same idea in Iceland when we visited after Christmas one year. On the mail street downtown, there was a wool shop and the trees out front were all wearing hand knitted scarves on their trunks. Some of the other businesses joined in the fun and did the same. It was a perfect winter decorating idea. Your trunk photos have much brighter colors and really stands out. Are your Winters real cold where you are? Your palm type tree reminds me of north Florida where I live and Winter is usually quite mild in comparison to even Georgia above us.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6677 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6677 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2021 :  1:26:44 PM  Show Profile
That is lovely Cindy! I’m curious as well if they get reused. What a wonderful way to bring the community together. It’s these things we remember and cherish.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2021 :  01:19:49 AM  Show Profile
Glad to hear that you enjoyed the yarn-bombing photo! I'm not too sure what they do with the scarves at the end of winter. I believe they reuse them for the following year. They have been doing this project for several years now and they seem to be adding to more trees throughout town each year, so I think they reuse them and just keep the project spreading each winter.
Whilst I think our winters are cold, they certainly are not when compared to the winters we had when we lived in Washington State. Our minimum temperatures will get to about 30 degrees F, but by midday it's usually warmed up to about 60-70 degrees F. Some parts of Southern Australia will get snow, but certainly not up here in Queensland. My American husband misses the yearly ski season. We haven't been skiing for about 10 years now. Most Aussies will fly to New Zealand for good skiing, but COVID has made that somewhat difficult in recent times.
I will endeavour to get some more photos of our colourful trees in the coming week.

Farmgirl #6058

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2021 :  5:04:14 PM  Show Profile
As promised, here are a few more photos of our yarn-bombed trees in the little Queensland town of Esk. The garden festival was a huge success last Saturday. The trees will remain decorated until the end of winter.

Farmgirl #6058

Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Yarn-bombing in Esk Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page