Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 How Do You Keep Your Craft Room Tidy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic How Do You Keep Your Craft Room Tidy? Next Topic  

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2021 :  12:04:05 PM  Show Profile
Do you have a struggle keeping your craft room tidy?
I have the solution.
Follow along with me every Monday as I share My Best Organizing and Storage Ideas for Your Craft Room.

I'd love to hear some of your ways of keeping things tidy.
Share your ideas below.

Check out my Videos on my YouTube Channel, Markets of Sunshine.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLu2f5H2_iW-jzzMDNIqJ39ztiTjOhwlHd

Farmgirl sister #308
Envelope Wallets and Junk Journals, Face Masks too.
http://www.marketsofsunshine.store
YouTube DIY sewing and crafting
https://www.youtube.com/c/MarketsofSunshine
FGOM 5/2018

Edited by - marjean on Jul 20 2021 2:11:15 PM

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2021 :  04:32:40 AM  Show Profile
Actually, I don't. Honestly I like it tidy but creativity seems to hit more often when it is not. I will check out your ideas Marsha.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2021 :  5:01:19 PM  Show Profile
Clean and Organized?? hahaha! nope, never happen.. my sewing/craft room is as scatter brained as I am! lolol!

I always have the best of intentions.. but alas.. I have to many UFO's going on... as long as it doesn't spill out into the rest of the house I am doing good...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2021 :  5:09:12 PM  Show Profile
BTW,, I enjoyed your youtube videos... thanx for sharing your space saver tips with us.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2021 :  7:32:55 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I agree Denise. I clean to a point but then creativity hits again. At least I can usually find what I want.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2021 :  9:34:47 PM  Show Profile
My problem is that I don't even have space. Check out my crafting "space".

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2021 :  12:44:42 PM  Show Profile
I just shut the door and sloooowly back away... out of sight, out of mind! LOL! SO bad!

Actually, I would love to get mine better organized. I brought a lot downstairs to the dining room and man cave so I could work closer to where my husband plants himself and be nearby if he needs me. What is down here is really pretty well organized and neat. What is up in my craft room looks a lot like your craft room, Marie! Everyone has pretty much started plopping stuff in there as if it's a storage room. Very frustrating! Thank you for sharing!

I will try to check out your videos starting tonight, Marsha! Thank you so much!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 07 2021 12:45:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2021 :  1:26:21 PM  Show Profile
Marie,,, I suspect,, that as scattered as your room is,, you probably know where every thing, spool, scissor is... lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2021 :  2:11:53 PM  Show Profile
Unfortunately, I cannot shut a door. This space is right in the middle of the condo where the dining room is supposed to be. I claimed it right away.

Grace, as much as I would like to say "yes", I can only say "maybe after 30 minutes of searching." LOL

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2021 :  1:58:15 PM  Show Profile

Farmgirl sister #308
FGOM 5/2018

Edited by - marjean on Jul 20 2021 2:11:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2021 :  2:04:02 PM  Show Profile
Thank You so much my Farm Girl Sister's for sharing your craft room space with us.

I totally understand each and everyone of your situations. It wasn't until my daughter got married and moved out 5 years ago that I was able to take over her room. My husband is in one room and I'm in the other since our sleep and health issues are so different.

My craft stuffed over the last 16 years has been moved from the spare room to the garage to the living room to the garage and finally to the spare room. I wanted a fresh start and for my sanity it had to be tidy. I was buying stuff I couldn't find but knew I had. I just don't have the energy to go through it all. My husband and daughter a a friend helped putting it in place once the new furniture and wall shelves were in place.

The rolling bookcase came later because I just have so much stuff.

I'm still trying to tame the fabric and odds and ends that I have for sell in my Etsy shop. But, it's a whole lot better than it used to be.

No matter what your space looks like I hope I inspire you to create in the sunshine and tidy every once in a while. Giggle!

Farmgirl sister #308
FGOM 5/2018

Edited by - marjean on Jul 20 2021 2:11:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2021 :  10:54:44 AM  Show Profile
Marsha, you sound like you really took control of your beloved craft stashes with your new craft room design. The end result sounds perfect for organizing and being able to work on your various projects. You enjoy all of your hard work!!

Farmgirls, my crafting space and sewing space are a bit different compared to what you all have. First of all, I don't have a room that can just be mine for crafting. So here are my solutions that work OK for me. My sewing machine lives inside a small room where I share space with the washer/dryer and shelves we put up to store "Stuff". Originally, this room was a part of a garage area when the house was built in 1961. The walls are not finished with dry walls and the floor is concrete like the entire garage had. The garage was turned into a father in law suite by the first owner. When we purchased the house, my area was still just a place for washer/dryer and big extra freezer the family had. Today, my sewing machine sits on a piece of space next to the shelves full of all sorts of stuff, including fall and Christmas decorations, vacuum cleaner and suitcases. Directly behind me is a shelf that a friend made me years ago that fits under the storage shelf. I am able to put sewing stuff that I use on these little shelves which works well. The tops of my dryer or the floor serves as a place to lay out fabric to cut out a pattern!! Actually, I have been able to make this all work just fine for my limited skill set so I am happy. To make the room more fun, I have decorated the interior wall spaces of the wooden framework of the room with Farmgirl cards, sewn gifts from swaps and a few laundry antiques that I have collected. I also hang up aprons here and there as either a window valence or just decorative. I call this effort my "Make-Do " sewing room which seems like a very Farmgirl thing to do when faced with a space challenge. But keep in mind, this Farmgirl is basically a Beginner on most things so I don't use or need lots of extras.

In my LogCabin room, which was my daughter's bedroom, I have a large old desk, a few pieces of furniture to hold books and a few magazines, and my Mom's old kitchen cabinet to store lots of my craft things like paper, stickers, ribbons and stuff that fits in small plastic containers. Since this room was a bedroom, the closet holds a few plastic boxes with yarn, mailing supplies, and some clothing for hubby and I. My desk has two pull out shelves that make good work spaces for small projects or writing cards. It all works good and it is my special room with a great south facing window and lots of sunshine during the day. The logcabdin wall paper makes it feel cozy and I have a faux fireplace and several antiques around.

For more experienced crafters, I know it is a challenge to have a space that accommodates equipment you use, as well as the many supplies that you need to create and work on your projects. You do have a huge challenge to have the space and shelving to create a work space that is organized and you are able to put your hand on what you need to do the work. Marsha, your videos are helpful for those faced with these challenges. Every person's living space is unique as well as what they need to keep on hand. All I know is that amazing and wonderful projects end up in my home when I do swaps here at MJF!! You are all gifted and clever at what and how you work despite some space challenges!! But then again, isn't that the Farmgirl gift?? I would say a resounding YES!! Below are a few photos of my Logcabin space right after it was finished. Today I have lots of stuff on the walls and a few other antique pieces.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2021 :  11:23:02 AM  Show Profile
I have started to take control of the pile of mending/ironing/fabric pile I have in my space. My pile is split into two stacks for . . . reasons. I have started with one pile picking up each piece and carefully considering it. If the piece needs to be ironed, it gets ironed and put away. If the piece is a WIP, it goes in the keep stack. If it is a random piece of fabric I like which I have no current plane to use, it goes in the maybe stack. That is the first consideration. As I go through the pile, for every three pieces I keep, one piece is taken out either to be put in the donation bag or in the bag that will go to a local lady who has a business reclaiming and reusing fabric for restyling projects. I may become a "stitcher" for her business. The business is called Rethink Tailoring and Sewing Lounge.

https://rethinktailoring.com/

I perform this process any time I have organizing. Removing one of every four items brings the volume down by one-quarter, one of every three by one-third, one of every two by one-half. It is simple and logical for me.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic How Do You Keep Your Craft Room Tidy? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page