AussieChick
Sharpshooter

346 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
346 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2021 :  6:19:48 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I just returned from 2 weeks in Tasmania. My husband was there to explore everything railway-related but for me, however, it was everything wombat-related. They are such adorable little creatures and I thought I would share some information about them along with some photos.

The wombat is the largest burrowing mammal in Australia. It is such an accomplished burrower that early settlers called it a 'badger'. Its closest relative is the koala. With its short tail and legs, characteristic waddle, and 'cuddly' appearance, the wombat is one of the most endearing of Australia's native animals.
On the mainland they average 1 metre in length and 27kg in weight yet can reach up to 1.2 metres in length and weights of up to 35kg. The Tasmanian wombat is not as large or bulky, averaging 85cm in length and 20kg in weight. They have short legs, large paws and long strong claws which are used in the excavation of burrows. The forepaws are used for digging and, after pushing the dirt to one side, the wombat will back out, moving the loose dirt with both the front and back paws.
Being marsupials, female wombats have a pouch that, in their case, opens backwards to prevent dirt and debris entering while burrowing. The juvenile remains in the pouch for six months, after which it stays with the female until it is 18 months old.
Wombats are mostly nocturnal, usually coming out at night to graze when temperatures are lower. However, in cold periods they may sometimes be seen during the day either grazing or basking in the sun. What a life!!

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2678 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2678 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2021 :  7:12:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Cindy, I have always thought they have the cutest little noses - look at that face! While I have loved Koalas all my life and have been familiar with marsupials, I never knew the wombats pouch was backwards to protect their youngin' while burrowing - nature is sooo AWE-mazing! The wombat also looks similar to our high desert rock chuck. While our rock chucks can be cute, they are also considered a rodent over here and can be messy. I hope you had a fabulous time is Tasmania!
Our little rockchuck here:

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038

Edited by - Dreamer42 on Jul 25 2021 7:12:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2021 :  05:04:17 AM  Show Profile
They are so cute. Thanks for sharing

There is never a road so long that there isn't a curve in it.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4712 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4712 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2021 :  07:31:36 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the adorable pictures and information. I didn't really know much about wombats. They are adorable, but do they tear up your yard? I always thought Tasmania would be a cool place to visit. Just wish it wasn't so far away! Thanks for sharing with us.

Dawn in IL

"Just living is not enough, one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower." Hans Christian Andersen
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6677 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6677 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2021 :  8:48:28 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness they are adorable. I didn't really know much about wombats, so thank you for sharing! I hope you had an amazing trip. Thank you for sharing.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17017 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17017 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2021 :  10:26:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh my stars!!! How cute are they!!! I just want to cuddle one...
Thank for sharing with us about Wombats..

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  8:01:52 PM  Show Profile
These are the cutest critters!! Oh my! Crickey, the Irwins, Bindi 7n particular, favors tge wombats at their family zoo in Australia. Are you far from there??

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

346 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
346 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2021 :  5:44:34 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Dianna, the Irwins love their wombats too. We actually live about an hour away from the Australia Zoo. It's a great place for us to take our overseas guests. I remember going there on a school excursion when I was about 7 or 8 years old. It was a reptile park back then and the Irwins hadn't become so famous at that stage. Now it is so much bigger and they are celebrities. They have continued Steve's legacy and Bindi is now a mum to little Grace. Everyone here likes to know what's going on in the lives of the Irwins.

To answer your question, Dawn - yes, unfortunately the cute little critters do tear up the ground. Some farmers, particularly in Victoria, have had issues with their cattle or sheep falling into the burrows and breaking their legs.

April - your high desert rock chucks are pretty cute too! I also love the little chipmunks that you guys have over there. My husband and I went on a trip to Mt. Howard in Oregon about 12 years ago and they were running around everywhere - so gorgeous!

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Wombats Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page