True Blue Farmgirl

17040 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17040 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  10:22:50 PM  Show Profile
Hey all,,
I think I am behind in responding to emails that came in to day..
but,,
Hubby and I had to dash up to our daughter's ranch, a fire had broken out on the back side of the property behind the critter barn,, 1st let me say,, we are all ok..

OMG! the loving response and out pouring help from the neighbors not to mention the Fire Fighters and responders,, Awesome!
We were just hoping the winds would not pick up and spread the fire further and faster..
My hubby, myself and 2 other neighbors tried to gather up the sheep, goats and mini pigs.. we were successful except for 1 of the mini pigs.. Petunia was not going down with out a fight!
My grandkiddos were responsible for loading up the dogs and cats...
Anyway, long story short,, this drought, high winds and heat have been our worst enemy,, no I take that back,, stupid people who decide to do some target practice are the worse.
The Sheriff received 2 reports of someone firing off a weapon in the area.. mind you we live out in the country, some hilly and some flat... a bullet reco-shaying off a rock equals instant heat source equals a fire.... The Fire inspector guy was out surveying the damage,, I suspect tomorrow he'll be back and do an extensive research to see just where and possibly how the fire started.
Anyway,, The fire department got the fire contained by 6:30-ish,, but there will be a ground crew there over night to watch for smoldering embers.. it took them almost 5 hours to get the fire contained... then brought in the Dozer....
The peramedics showed up, we are not sure if one of the fire fighters got smoke inhalation or burns...

We all smell like a combination of sweat, smoke and piggy/goaty/sheep..

Thank goodness our daughter and her hubby had a simple Emergency plan.. but after today I suspect they will re-write it and make some changes and add a few more 'to-dos' to that list.

I can not stress the importance of having a written game plan in the event of an emergency.

ok, that is why I have not returned messages and calls...
I had no idea I had this much energy,, but I suspect tomorrow I will be feeling my back.. after all, it's been a very long time since I chased a piggy, sheep or goat!... and on that note , nite nite

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17040 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17040 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  10:28:03 PM  Show Profile
BTW, I didn't mean to rattle on,, just want to let you know I might not be real attentive to the computer for a day or two till everything calms down.
But I will try to return messages tomorrow.
hugz

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2141 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2141 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  10:37:26 PM  Show Profile
Grace -- take a rest and count your blessings! We'll let you sleep for a day or two....

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2683 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2683 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  11:04:04 PM  Show Profile
Thank goodness everyone's ok... prayers being sent your way.

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4334 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4334 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2021 :  04:38:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh my Grace how scary!!!! How terrible these fires are around you all!! I'm thankful for first responders for sure and that their place and all of you are ok!! My son sent me a picture of where he lives, very thick smoke there too. Everyone is warned to stay inside. But he said the smell is so strong in his home even with several air machine purifiers going. My prayers go put to all, first responders, elderly, critters, kids....it is just so heartbreaking all thats been destroyed on top of the virus spreading. Stay safe and well please.

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6460 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6460 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2021 :  07:10:07 AM  Show Profile
I am so very happy y’all are okay and the fire was put out. It is bad here too in the interior of Oregon. Thankfully here where we are one this year.
Please stay safe and rest our Ms Grace.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February 2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple !!

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2021 :  07:32:51 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
So happy your family and their animals are all safe. I hope you got a good night sleep. Sounds like quite a workout trying to round up all the critters. I hope Petunia decided to join the other animals on her own. Wow! 5 hours to out the fire out. Hugs and prayers to you and your family.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2021 :  10:18:58 AM  Show Profile
Oh, my... Gracie, I'm so glad everyone's okay. Very scary. What a wonderful community you all live in! Everyone pulling together like that is life-affirming! God bless you all!!!

Hugs and love,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2021 :  3:18:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh Grace just reading through the last couple of days of post and came across this one. How terrifying for y'all as if the heat and awful smoke weren't bad enough. Sure glad to hear everyone and all the critters are OK. You must be exhausted. Tool on over to the spa at Northern Quest and get a massage.. You've certainly earned it.
hugs,
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17040 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17040 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2021 :  3:52:05 PM  Show Profile
Well,, here is the update,, fire is out.. sort of,, small flames keep poping up,, but we still have a ground crew here working the line,,, the bulldozer is rolling the dirt over hte burn spots and another small crew are cutting down the damaged trees from the fire..
Our daughter's property is up on a hill with the backside (behind the critter barn, goes down over the ridge.. and that is cover with pine trees,, that is where the fire was stopped at.. thank goodness it barely crested the top...

Hopefully by tonight the 'All Clear' will be given...

The Fire Inspector guy was pretty sure (as of yesterday) that the fire was started but some idiot who was shooting down on the backside of the ridge...

As for Neighbors,, they are the best,, although I must say,, we probably looked pretty comical chasing sheep, goats and pigs and trying to get them in the trailer.. I do know one thing,, we all smelled pretty ripe!!! sweat, critters and smoke...
Poor critters were nervous and then they had us crazies trying to herd them into a trailer... not to mention keeping them cool and not over heating...
but at the end of the day we were grateful for all the help, and that the winds did not kick up,, or this fire could have taken everything out.

Counting our blessings.

For all our farm gals in in the line of fires,, please stay safe...

stinky hugz from me...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2021 :  5:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
So glad everyone and the 4-legged friends are safe. And that the fire personnel are keeping a watch for you.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6726 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6726 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2021 :  12:38:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness Grace! That is so crazy. I am so happy to hear that everyone and all the animals are safe. I’m hoping you got the all clear last night and are good to relax for a minute. Is much of your daughters land ruined? I sure hope not. Fires are so scary. Please stay safe. Many hugs.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17040 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17040 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2021 :  2:55:54 PM  Show Profile
Sadly the area the kiddos play in, is no longer... But from the ashes comes new growth

The fire is completely out, and we actually got some, not enough, but some rain today. Hubby and son-in-law walked the burn area just to make sure there are no smoldering embers.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2141 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2141 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2021 :  4:26:04 PM  Show Profile
Grace -- so happy that everyone, human and animal, is safe and sound. Fires are so scary and destructive. It looks like the trees will survive and the undergrowth will grow back faster than you think it will. When I went to my daughter's house in Napa a year after the big fire I was surprised at how it almost looked like there had been no fire at all. Mother Earth is amazing.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
Go to Top of Page

VT Oma
True Blue Farmgirl

327 Posts

Sheila
Greensboro Vermont
USA
327 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2021 :  05:42:21 AM  Show Profile
My sister and her family are in Fire Warning she is in Grass Valley CA the fires are 5 miles from them ; please keep them in you thoughts that the fire does not come to her home. I am so worried about her but trying not to send out any negative energy thinking about it.

Sheila
Farmgirl #5766

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2141 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2141 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2021 :  12:55:54 PM  Show Profile
Sheila -- We are keeping your sister and her family in our thoughts. The smoke from that fire is filling the valley. Positive thinking is good; thoughts create action. We love that area; I've spent a good bit of time there. Beautiful country.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6528 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2021 :  5:15:34 PM  Show Profile
Thank goodness you and family are safe but oh that photo is sad! I hope the rains can come more frequently to help this serious situation out on the West Coast. I continue to keep everyone facing these devastating fires in my thoughts and prayers. It is really scary for everyone out there.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3004 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3004 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2021 :  6:14:01 PM  Show Profile
Wow! That was a close call! So glad everyone is alright.

I hope and pray all those wildfires will soon be out. What a scary situation for so many!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Fire Season Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page