ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

782 Posts

Carole
Northeast New York
USA
782 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2021 :  11:34:01 AM  Show Profile
Since I do not have room for an exterior garden nor did I want to attempt container gardening, I thought I would try the aerogarden. I wanted to have access to a variety of fresh herbs. It's a neat concept. It comes with an app that tells me when to feed it/add water etc. The daylight is programmed for a 14 hour cycle. I chose to plant herbs. I love fresh herbs. I have Genovese Basil, Savory, Thyme, Oregano, parsley, chives & mint. This is how it started out.

And here it is now:

The basil has been amazing and prolific. I do think that chives are not a good option. They are so small. Having said that, it would be great to start seedling indoor. The unit is not just limited to herbs but to a variety of vegetable. The light adjust to a couple of feet in height.

Anyone else tried this gadget? I'm interested in your experience.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Edited by - ceridwen on Sep 16 2021 12:37:51 PM

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

4871 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
4871 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2021 :  11:58:27 AM  Show Profile
Thatís a fancy gadget Carole. I havenít seen or heard of one before. Iím so glad it worked for you and your herbs are thriving. I like that it tells you when to feed and water. It would be a nice way to help kids learn to grow stuff.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4338 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4338 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2021 :  12:16:12 PM  Show Profile
Carole! Thanks for sharing! I have been pondering doing this too !
Connie#3392
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

15121 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
15121 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2021 :  4:06:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh my Stars!! that is soooo Kool!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

782 Posts

Carole
Northeast New York
USA
782 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2021 :  12:35:29 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your comments.

Krista, I too think it would be a good educational tool. You actually see the roots floating.

You could start your seedling indoor and plant them in your garden late spring. You use a earth friendly sponge to start your seedling and they transplant very well. These were all started in the Aerogarden for my neighbour. The tomato plant has fallen over but you have Thai Basil, Genovese Basil, Parsley and Chives. I planted those in mid June. Much too late for outdoor gardening but they are thriving well. I guess it just confirms that it would be a great seed starter.

Connie, I think you would enjoy it. I bought an herb kit but I can see myself planting what I want. They do sell the grow sponges and holder without seeds.

Grace, I am enjoying it. I made bruschetta the other day with fresh basil, OMG, I could have eaten the whole thing! lol

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Sep 16 2021 12:42:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

4871 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
4871 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2021 :  1:36:30 PM  Show Profile
My guess would be that there is a limit on what you can grow in these things. Is that correct?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

782 Posts

Carole
Northeast New York
USA
782 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2021 :  06:15:04 AM  Show Profile
Krista, they claim no ... I think yes. I would not grow large tomatoes but a variety of small cherry tomatoes and maybe small peppers would work; lettuce too. You can buy a special tray for micro greens. I haven't tried that yet. They do sell large floor models but I would much rather plant outdoors. I suppose if you live in the city in a high-rise, that would be the next best thing. That's my personal opinion for now. I do see the benefit of fresh herbs though. I have the nine pod unit. A much smaller unit would work too. I think the smallest unit is three (3) pods.

Carole
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

4871 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
4871 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2021 :  12:29:28 PM  Show Profile
Carole, that makes sense. Plus I think if your intending to grow inside herbs would be the best. Iím not sure I would want the mess some of the bigger plants make inside my house anyway. Still super neat though.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Indoor Gardening Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page