Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Halloween Giveaway!! WINNER!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Halloween Giveaway!! WINNER!! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2021 :  08:40:26 AM  Show Profile
I happen to love Halloween with all the fun parts like Trick or Treating with friends, carving grinning pumpkins for the porch, scarecrows, apple bobbing etc. I have been thinking about doing this giveaway and I thought it would be a fun way for anyone interested to join me in the fun for being chosen this month's FGOTM. This way we can share our own memories and maybe the Great Pumpkin will choose your name from the basket!

To enter, please just post a fun memory you have of Halloween and what your favorite candy you loved to see drop in your Trick or Treat bag.

A winner will be selected on October 13th and I will email you for your mailing information.

I am delighted to share today that Dreamer 42, April, was chosen as the winner today! Congratulations April and I hope you enjoy your Halloween delights!! April, I have your mailing information so I will be getting your package out right away.

Thank-you all for joining in this giveaway and sharing some of your best Halloween memories and favorite candy. I enjoyed hearing from each of you. When we share fun topics like this , I find it another way to get to know each person just a bit better. We all share many things in common and we just don't know it until we share memories together. I love it and there could hardly be a better Trick or Treat for me!! Well...........there is that peanut butter candy with the candy shell or M&Ms or Neccos or...and .....LOL!!

Help me celebrate by sharing some fun with everyone. I can't wait to hear what your favorite memory or candy is!!

Farmgirl Connie, Killarney, shared this darling old photo with me this week and it seems perfect to share here too. You gotta have a fun pumpkin grinning on your porch or home to get started.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Oct 13 2021 10:59:54 AM

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2021 :  08:49:32 AM  Show Profile
I will go first with my favorite memory and candy. Even to this day, I think my favorite memory is going out to Trick or Treat and enjoying all the grinning and funny faces on pumpkins in the yards. I always loved it when people were able to put all sorts of funny faces out and about in their yards for the occasion. The more the merrier, I think. Today, I have a few stone pumpkins and pottery pumpkins that I can use in my yard in addition to a real pumpkin that I love to carve. Just a simple fun face and nothing too complicated is best for my skill level. The smaller pottery pumpkins, I put on window sills, low tree branches and along the sidewalk up to my door. When the kids hit my porch, I have some paper bats that hang down above head level and an old Hallmark honeycomb spider to greet all the children. Nothing scary but just enough spooky fun so that the littlest ones are not frightened.

As for my childhood favorite candy to find in my treat bag, I have a couple that all rank at the top. They were those peanut butter bars with the candy shell coating, little packages of M&Ms , sugar babies, and junior mints. I loved them all!!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6449 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6449 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2021 :  08:50:12 AM  Show Profile
Oh Winnie how sweet for you to do a Halloween give away.
My favorite Halloween candy since I was a little girl is Candy Corn, and it still is. Just so creamy and soft. Yum!
Okay my Halloween memory is, I believe I was around 12, and went trick or treating with my friends in the neighborhood. The family behind us had a small Haunted House set up in their house , so my friends and I decided to go. How scary could it be right? Well to me it was scary and it scared me
almost to death I had never been so afraid. To this day I dislike haunted houses and have never been to one since. But, I love, love, love Halloween and everything else about it.
Such fun sharing childhood memories. Thank you Winnie.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February 2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple !!

Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2021 :  11:26:44 AM  Show Profile
I remember those costumes with the one piece printed bodysuit to wear over your clothes with the molded plastic face with elastic string. We couldn’t wait to get to the dime store to pick out which character we would be. The year that stands out was when my sister was sick in bed and couldn’t go around the neighborhood with us. I can’t remember what was wrong but it was serious enough that she was in bed over two weeks! I promised I would share my candies with her, but when we returned, we found that everyone in our neighborhood had brought presents and candy to her!! Mom said she opened up the window to her bedroom so all her friends could talk to her through the screen. It was the best Halloween ever and sure made her smile!!

My favorites were the striped crunchy peanut butter candies and suckers.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2021 :  1:27:26 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
My favorite candy is any chocolate bar, the bigger the better lol!

A favorite memory is a gypsy costume my mother put together for me. It had hoop earrings, a tiered skirt, a white gathered blouse and lots of beaded necklaces. We rarely bought costumes - the boys were hobos or pirates or cowboys and I was something put together by my mother. LOL! At least one year we had to wear our customers over or under a snowsuit in the Chicago suburbs.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4113 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4113 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2021 :  5:31:46 PM  Show Profile
My favorite candy bar is Baby Ruth........oh yum yum.
We always had to come up with a costume, we never had any purchased ones. For my kids I kept a tote with things that could be costumes. My boys would dress up like a girl, with an old wig. always made me laugh.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2136 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2136 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2021 :  7:03:28 PM  Show Profile
Favorite candy? Dark chocolate or Heath bar. Halloween has always been my favorite holiday. I recall Mom making clown, Dutch girl, and gypsy costumes. Our costumes were always homemade and the tradition carried down to my kids too. You can make a lot of costumes with black tights and turtleneck shirt -- scuba diver and butterfly are two that I did for one daughter. Lots of cardboard boxes, duct tape, silver paint, funnel, and oil can turned my son into the Tin Woodman. For several years we enclosed the entry with black shower curtains and about 100 yards of gray and black dyed cheesecloth and had hanging bats, cauldron with dry ice, and spooky soundtrack. We had a lot of fun with Halloween. Unfortunately times have changed so we no longer have trick-or-treaters.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2021 :  09:36:23 AM  Show Profile
My best Halloween memory is a bit late in life for trick or treating. When I was eighteen I went home with my college room mate to her holler in coal country---a wild and not so wonderful place. We dressed up in old forties dresses and were lookin good. Somewhere along the way we were joined by her fourteen year old neighbor. A nasty pickup truck went by with crude boys in it and they egged us good. I got hit in the back and I was too mad. We were a mile or so down the holler so every time a car would come we would jump over the bank and hide. We were all laughing like crazy and also scared too. It took us a long time to get home. You must understand that holler people can be very mean if they are so inclined. Also her neighbor came by as the headless horseman riding a horse with a pumpkin on his head. So funny. A wonderful memory. My favorite candy was anything chocolate---and still is. Happy fall to you dear Winnie!

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7507 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7507 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2021 :  10:15:41 AM  Show Profile
Hi Winnie,

I think my favorite Halloween time was with my daughter when she was little! We lived in Ferndale and at that time everyone in that little town decorated windows, stores, porches and yards, also the people would be dressed up in costumes and either be outside or come out to greet the little ones and give them treats!
I loved taking her out and about for the fun and feeling of the night!

I think my favorite candy is red fish or gummies! And chocolate!
Thanks for the fun and also congratulations again on being FGOTM!
Darlene

Trust in your faith, not your emotions, when it comes to making life’s decisions.
I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer
Just. follow God unquestionably Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I TRUST IN YOU JESUS

#4943 - March 2013
FGOTM June 2013
FGOTY 2016

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9250 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9250 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2021 :  12:54:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh how much fun Winnie!
One of my favorite memories is of the costumes and the parade at school when we would all dress up and March around the parking lot of the school. Our parents would come to watch. I didn't like when it snowed in Halloween though because mom always made us wear coats over our costumes. I loved seeing a candy Apple or popcorn ball go in my bag. Back when we could still do homemade goodies.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6705 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6705 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2021 :  1:34:16 PM  Show Profile
Winnie you are always the sweetest doing these giveaways.

My favorite candy to get when I was trick or treating was Twix or Reese’s. My favorite memory of Halloween was when I was younger. Every year without fail my parents would make chili for dinner and then we would have glazed donuts for dessert. After dinner we would always visit the grandparents houses before starting trick or treating. Every year my grandma would have a cute Halloween bag filled with candy for me and my brother and my grandpa would give us a homemade piggy bank with money in it. Every year I wish I could go back and relive one of those Halloween’s just one more time. I just hope I can create the same kid of memories for my children.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2021 :  4:15:51 PM  Show Profile
Ladies such good memories---I sure enjoyed all. Krista---I am sure you will create even better memories for your children, As they say---You Go GIRL!!!

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2021 :  5:00:10 PM  Show Profile
I love all of the wonderful stories of Halloween and your candy favorites! Krista, I too have thought many times I wish I could go back in time and enjoy the Halloween's of my childhood. What I love about memories are the ones that stick in your mind. It is interesting, I think, to hear what was special to others and realize that some of the same things were special to me too . That is part of the Halloween magic, I think. The dressing up, being with family and friends and enjoying the candy and other treats is why I love Halloween. I remember it as a time of just simple fun that no other holiday was about.Then there was the trading of candy with siblings or friends sometimes resulting in a trade for either another of your own favorites or something you didn't even have. As I sit here and type about candy, remember those thin wafers in a roll called NECO? They were fun too and I loved the different flavors. And then there were those "fireballs" which were jawbreakers that were covered in a hot candy cinnamon shell. Your mouth was literally on fire within a minute!! LOL@!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9250 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9250 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2021 :  6:53:47 PM  Show Profile
Gosh, I loved Necco wafers and atomic balls. My husband used to eat those fireballs all the time. I always liked sugar babies too. Do they have any of those anymore?

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4912 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4912 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2021 :  7:08:24 PM  Show Profile
Love all the memories!

My favorite Halloween memories is Going Trick-or-Treating with the kids In my neighborhood and we all went to the same Elementary school. We always made our own costumes. One year when I was in 1st grade, 1962 Our school had a Halloween Carnival. We had a Spaghetti Supper and each classroom had games and we wore costumes. My favorite game was pick the Lady's Pocket. A mom had on an apron with pockets sewn all over it and you give her a ticket and pick a prize from her pocket. My Aunt Judy was in 6th grade so she was my helper. We walked to school with all our neighborhood, like we always did. I remember thinking that the school was funny looking at night time! LOL!
My favorite candy was junior Mints and Kits.

Connie #3392
Imagine....

Edited by - Killarney on Oct 05 2021 7:10:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2021 :  07:09:56 AM  Show Profile
My funnest memory is when my Dad sat out on the front porch, dressed up as monster and holding the bowl of candy. He would hold really still and scare the older children. It was so fun watching the teenagers (who were my classmates) lose it when he growled at them. My Dad loved holidays and so do I. Especially when they involve anything chocolate!

Sherone

Lean on me, when you're not strong, And I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on, For it won't be long, 'Til I'm gonna need, Somebody to lean on.

Farmgirl Sister #93
FGOTM August 2021

Our Etsy Shops
http://www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

http://www.taylorstowels.etsy.com

http://www.tinytaylorhomestead.etsy.com

Our Thrive Life Store

http://www.tinytaylorhomestead.thrivelife.com

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6705 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6705 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2021 :  2:06:37 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Barbara!

Winnie, life was so magical as a child. The holidays seemed so much bigger than they do now. And that’s why I always hope I’m making it just as magical for my own kids. Though my guess is I’m over thinking it lol! It is nice to hear from others who enjoyed the same traditions as me. A little something extra to bond over.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2994 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2994 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2021 :  4:38:16 PM  Show Profile
Growing up we didn't have a lot of candy in the house. It was a really special treat to get a candy bar. So for me there wasn't really a favorite candy (although I loved the popcorn balls!) but it was really just the sheer awesomeness of the amount of candy that we would bring home from trick or treating. I have 2 sisters and a brother so between the 4 of us we had a decent pile! When we got home we all had to combine our candy - and share with mom and dad too LOL! We were allowed a few everyday so it lasted a little while. As far as memories - One that really sticks in my mind is when I was in high school. We were allowed to wear costumes to school and even for the football game - I was in the marching band. I loved to dress up and wear a lot of make up. One year I went to school as a clown and I remember a teacher telling me after class that he wondered who I was when I was walking around in the hallway, and that he only figured it out when I sat in my seat. I guess I did a good job with my costume that year!

Denise - I just spotted the Necco wafers at Cracker Barrel last week and asked my husband if he remembered those as a kid!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1753 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1753 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2021 :  4:51:56 PM  Show Profile
I love fall and all that goes with it.I grew up on a farm and could only trick or treat at my grandparents nearby. But we did wear costumes to school and had a party with caramel apples and popcorn balls all homemade. I always took my son trick or treating in the small town we lived in. Great memories of a fun holiday.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4912 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4912 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2021 :  11:27:08 AM  Show Profile
Its so much fun to read all the Memories!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1753 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1753 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2021 :  2:44:01 PM  Show Profile
Love all the photos and stories.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2136 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2136 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2021 :  3:22:40 PM  Show Profile
Denise -- I saw Necco wafers at JoAnne's. I love Atomic fireballs, too. Anything ciinnamon.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2682 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2682 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2021 :  4:46:35 PM  Show Profile
I think my favorite halloween memory was when my boys were 5 and 1 or maybe 6 and 2? We were trick or treating around our neighborhood and my little 2 year old was a pirate, hissing as we drove him in the stroller and my 4 year old had knocked on a door and the cowardlly lion answered and they both jumped back from the lack of courage! It was just toooo funny! My favorite halloween candy is probably candy corn. Fun to munch on from the candy dish by the stove!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2021 :  5:05:44 PM  Show Profile

Winnie I have loved reading all the memories everyone has posted!
I have such sweet memories of going Trick or Treating when I was a kid. My Daddy would take my sister and me to town and wait on us while she walked around with me. She was nine years older than me. As I grew up my Mommy was always in poor health so she never got to take me but she always tried to make sure I was involved and had fun times. Most of the kids never really had costumes...we only had masks. It was so much fun to see how happy all the kids were as we went from door to door collecting candy. I remember how hot I would get wearing the mask but it was still so much fun!!! When I got home I was always so happy to share the candy I had gotten with my family. My favorite candies were Kits...Sugar Daddy's and Sour Charms Lollipops!!!
Such sweet memories

Hugs!

Judy

God Has Been So Good To Me!!!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013 and
September 2021

Edited by - wildflower17 on Oct 07 2021 5:24:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Carely
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Carrie
Brookville IN
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2021 :  05:18:28 AM  Show Profile
I have loved reading everyone's favorite Halloween memories. I have so many, but 3 really stand out. We never had store-bought costumes, one year though, when I was 5 or 6, mom found a really fancy pink dress with a big skirt and lots of frills. It was so cheap she bought it for my dress-up box. That Halloween mom made me a crown and wand out of cardboard and aluminum foil, I wore that fancy pink dress and was a princess. The following year, I wore the same thing, but mom took the shear shrug from an old bridesmaids' dress of hers and a couple of metal hangers and made wings to add to the costume, so I went as a fairy princess.

When I decided I was too old to go trick or treating, probably 12, I got in the old dress-up box and dressed my younger brother up like a prom queen, fancy dress (with the chest filled out using an old bra that I put legs eggs in the cups), wig, make-up, and high heels. He won our neighborhood costume contest!!

In my early twenties my best friend, who lived on a farm in the country, and I took her younger sisters trick-or-treating, we had to drive miles to go to all the neighbors. While we were out, it began snowing, my friend's mom put out trays and collected fresh snow. When we got home from trick-or-treating, we had hot chocolate and fresh snow cream. :)

My favorite candy- none, the best were the homemade goodies our neighborhood adopted grandmas made every year!!!

Carrie DeFossett

Farmgirl #8358
Member since October 23, 2020.

Rural Farmgirl dreaming of having a mini-farm of my own.

Edited by - Carely on Oct 08 2021 05:20:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2021 :  05:51:30 AM  Show Profile
I love hearing about all of the homemade costumes! My mom was a city girl and married a country boy. She felt you had to “buy” a costume. I loved my mom very much, but I think it’s funny how my sisters and I all embraced our daddy’s country ways of living, instead of buying everything from a store.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Halloween Giveaway!! WINNER!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page