YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2021 :  11:53:57 AM  Show Profile
Today I'm having two natural gas heaters installed in my house. One in the living room and a smaller one in my bathroom. With the energy grid like it is these days I want a backup for my electric central heat. Looking forward to being warm this winter no mater what happens.

Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2021 :  12:43:27 PM  Show Profile
That's a great idea Sara. Although I hope you don't have to use them :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2021 :  12:47:55 PM  Show Profile
always good to be prepared and to have things like this done ahead of time, before an issue.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2021 :  12:51:13 PM  Show Profile
Very wise Sara---and you won't be sorry. We have a propane fireplace we can use in emergency or just when you want to take off the chill and not heat the whole house. We have a central wood furnace but it won't heat when the power is off. We love the little gas fireplace. Stay warm and rock on Yellow Rose. You are wise and wonderful!

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2021 :  1:40:15 PM  Show Profile
Always good to be prepared. We live at the edge of a forest and have a great wood stove . . . . no further explanation needed ;) Appreciating it this morning as we had our first snowfall last night.

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Nov 11 2021 1:41:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2021 :  2:37:28 PM  Show Profile
Annie is happy the men are gone and her house is quiet again. Annie likes women but has never liked men. I got her from the animal shelter when she was 3 months old. From day one she took to my sisters and me but never males.

Heather, I'm planning on using them a lot. I have a heat pump and it doesn't keep up when temps drop into the 40s.

Michelle, you are right about being prepared. I also had a gas line run to my kitchen behind my glass top stove. When the time comes to replace that stove I want a gas one.

Barbara, I know you must really enjoy your propane fireplace on those cold West Virginia nights.

Jean, nothing heats like a wood stove. I grew up with one. Best sweet potatoes I have ever had were the ones my mother cooked on top of the wood stove.
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2021 :  3:00:52 PM  Show Profile
Sara---we have an old forties gas range and I love it. we can bake and cook when the power is out. The oven lights by pilot light---no electronic ignition. The old simple ways are the best in my book. That is how I grew up. We were wise old farm people.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2021 :  3:09:43 PM  Show Profile
We have a gas fire place and a gas stove we use if we loose power. Keeps the chill off and it is nice to know we have a back up. Great thinking Sara. I love my gas stove so much, I know you will too.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2021 :  4:18:25 PM  Show Profile
Good idea for you Sara!! We also have a gas stove and two wood fireplaces that we can cook food on and warm up some of the rooms. Believe me, we have made use of these benefits on more than one occasion with we lost power for one reason or another.

Hey Sara, I didn't know you could cook potatoes on top of a wood stove!! that is really neat! Can you cook something like a soup all day and have it actually do right?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2021 :  5:01:43 PM  Show Profile
Winnie - for the fun of it last winter I cooked burgers on top of my wood stove. I lifted the cover and put my cast iron pan right on the stove. It look longer than my regular stove and the woodstove was fired pretty good (heating the house up to nice and toasty level!) but it worked. So, I would say that if you kept the stove fired you could cook soup on it.

Sara - how were the potatoes cooked on the stove? I think I might like to try that this winter :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2021 :  5:33:31 PM  Show Profile
Thats good to hear Sara! You are right aboutthe unknown of things lately! We have both propane and electricity but even if those fail, we can always burn wood!! Never hurts to have alternative sources!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  08:57:32 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
That's so good that you are planning ahead, Sara. In your smaller house they should heat it up very well in the winter.

We have a gas stove, gas heat, and a gas fireplace - we have a lot of wood out back from the tree that was cut down, and last week Ed made a couple wood fires and it was nice sitting in front of the fireplace.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  09:11:21 AM  Show Profile
Julie, Texas doesn't get as cold as where you live so I know you really like your gas stoves.

Winnie, I don't know about cooking soup on a wood stove. Mother only did the sweet potatoes. If the wood stove was hot enough I think it would be worth the try.

Heather, best I can remember the potatoes were put directly on top of the stove.

Dianna, as I always say if plan A fails it's good to have a plan B or even a plan C. lol

Called Atmos the gas provider this morning and had to call a 800 number to have gas turned on and create an account. I hate to make those kinds of calls because of all the waiting and dealing with people who think they are doing me a favor to help me. Well this morning the woman helping me was friendly, patient, and not only schedule me for Mon to turn on gas but set me up for bank draft; e-payment so my bill is sent to my e-mail; and created my on-line account. I had a good morning because of a woman I will never meet but I gotta a hunch she's a FarmGirl at Heart.

Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2021 :  09:13:35 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I'm so happy you and Ed are enjoying your new home. Free firewood for the fireplace is really nice. It's free but I also know it takes work.

Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2021 :  5:08:54 PM  Show Profile
I used to cook big pots of soup on our wood stove and potatoes down in the ashes. I miss my wood stove and we have been advised not to use fireplaces and wood stoves until February due to pollution with the fog and overcast weather.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2021 :  08:37:06 AM  Show Profile
I put my two natural gas heaters to the test last night. Temps in the low 30s and they passed the test. With the central heat turned off the two heaters kept my entire house warm. In fact my house was warmer than with the electrical central heat. Looks like the central heat will remain off for the winter season.

Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2021 :  10:24:39 AM  Show Profile
Great news, Sara, on your new natural gas heaters. We have gas heat in our house and it really heats up quickly and does the job.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2022 :  05:21:45 AM  Show Profile
I turned on both gas heaters last night and this morning all of my small house was toasty warm. Temps 19 with wind chill of 4. So far I have not used my electric central heat. The gas heaters are proving to be a great investment.

Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2022 :  08:37:10 AM  Show Profile
So glad to hear they're working so well for you!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2022 :  10:35:12 AM  Show Profile
Well, we're usually so well prepared for winter, but I do believe we may run short of firewood this year. Winter came on fast, hard, and heavy this year in Northern Idaho. Looks like our 2-3 cord winter might just turn into a 3-4 cord one. But we live in the middle of a forest, so just some labor required as there's no lack of product. LOL. Feels like the middle of February around these here parts...

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Prepping for Winter Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page