MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6735 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6735 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2021 :  2:03:29 PM  Show Profile
I have been thinking today about the Christmas lights we put on our trees and I’m curious which ones are more popular. Do you put white lights or colored lights on your tree? We actually do both. Our main tree has white lights but our tree upstairs for the kids has colored lights. Which do you use?

Krista

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6463 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6463 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2021 :  2:31:59 PM  Show Profile
We like to use white twinkle lights as they remind us of Christmas’s when we lived in Germany. But, we have used the color lights as well but white are our favorite.
All trees are beautiful though lights or not:-)

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February 2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple !!

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2684 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2684 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2021 :  2:40:15 PM  Show Profile
We do both as well, we usually put up three Christmas trees, we do white lights in our formal room, multicolored in our family room... I love both!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2141 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2141 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2021 :  3:22:15 PM  Show Profile
We used to have colored lights on the tree; they look so festive. I like white or blue lights on the outside of the house.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2021 :  3:48:26 PM  Show Profile
Krista---we use white lights in the house as we like to leave them up for winter a while. Outside my hubby likes the big colored lights on our outdoor tree. And I sure agree about colored lights for the children---how beautiful those are to the kids. A mixture and each to his own----LOL.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4335 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4335 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2021 :  4:12:47 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Debbie! Small white twinkle lights remind me of all our beautiful Christmases in Germany! Its fun seeing the colored lights when we are driving around, but traditionally we use as simple a decorations as possible. :)

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4725 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4725 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2021 :  04:54:21 AM  Show Profile
We have white lights on our tree the past several years. I had always had colored ones before and prefer those. My tree is 9 years old now and I hope to replace it next year with a tree that has colored lights on it.

Dawn in IL

Kindness is like snow—it beautifies everything it covers.
Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2021 :  09:54:24 AM  Show Profile
We always have colored lights on our tree because we both grew up with that as kids. We also use the new LED light which work great.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2021 :  09:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I grew up with multicolored lights on a live tree. Due to allergies we changed to a fake tree. The tree we got 3 years ago has lights that can be all white or multi-volored and can change from solid. to blinking, to changing from white to colored. It is nice to have different looks for the tree.

Outside, the roofline has white bulbs, and Ed put multipcolored on the bushes and fence, and white icicles on his workshop building.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3004 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3004 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2021 :  10:32:06 AM  Show Profile
Usually we have white lights on our trees. This year we have white on 2 and blue on the third one because a lot of the white ones quit working and we inherited blue ones from my husbands grandparents. I kind of like it blue.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2021 :  2:01:26 PM  Show Profile
Heather---does that mean you will have a blue Christmas? Being silly---just heard that Elvis song and could not resist. A little holler humor never hurts.

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3004 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3004 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2021 :  6:08:56 PM  Show Profile
Barbara LOL! I agree humor never hurts! I went to a Christmas tree display (I forget what it was called) a few years ago and learned that the blue lights used to mean that the household was celebrating Christmas without someone because they were deployed. Not sure if that's really where they came from or not but I'd be blue without a loved one too!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17044 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17044 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2021 :  6:26:47 PM  Show Profile
It's funny, growing up in Germany we had clip on white candles, but when we moved to the US permanently we didn't have lights, but lots of sparkling tinsel.
When my hubby and I got married, he put colored lights on the tree, like his family.
did. Decades later we started using the mini lights... While living in Moorpark CA., I had 7 trees, each in different rooms with different themes. So depending on the tree, I used clear, multi and on some trees, all one color.
Over the years I have set up less trees, the last few years I have only put up two trees, even though we were spending our Christmas in California. This year I only put up 1 tree, this year's tree is silver with clear lights and and blue/pink and lime green, yep, mid century modern.. since we are home snow bound I may as well have fun and be silly ...
HoHoHo

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2021 :  7:33:34 PM  Show Profile
I looked up the blue Christmas thing and it was interesting---really is a thing and I always thought it came from the song---DUH> Thank you Heather for enlightening me---never to old to learn. Grace---I used to put up trees in each room too. Now I do two---old age do slow things down for sure and no one cared that I decorated so much---actually my kin folk made fun of me and tried to ruin Christmas. Now my sister and her fam and friends go to the Greenbrier---a luxury hotel here in WV for their Christmas. I'm glad they have found something good enough---LOL.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9258 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9258 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2021 :  05:01:03 AM  Show Profile
It varies. Last year we did colored, this year is white. I prefer,the white ones.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6735 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6735 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2021 :  2:35:08 PM  Show Profile
It’s a pretty good mix between them both! Thanks for your input. To be honest I don’t think I could decide on just one and that’s why we have 2. They both are so pretty in their own way.

Heather, that is so neat. I never knew about the blue lights. We decorate the whole outside of our house in only blue lights. We have just loved the color. It’s cool to know the meaning behind it.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2141 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2141 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2021 :  7:11:50 PM  Show Profile
I never heard that about blue lights; I think that is a fairly recent thing. I always liked blue lights on the house because it is usually foggy here and the blue lights look so neat in the fog. Kind of spooky in a good way, like the runway lights at the airport. Runway lights for reindeer on the roof.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

tigger9777
Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader & Guru / FG Guide

152 Posts

Candy
Oakley CA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2021 :  01:38:03 AM  Show Profile
We always do a Noble fur tree with colored lights. Very pretty. Have a Mwrry Christmas
Candy Higan #8283
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6735 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6735 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2021 :  12:52:19 PM  Show Profile
Judith, that is so true. We get pretty foggy here too and we can always see our lights from down the road. I never thought of it being like runway lights for Santa!

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Christmas tree lights Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page