tigger9777
Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader & Guru / FG Guide

152 Posts

Candy
Oakley CA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2021 :  7:28:49 PM  Show Profile
I went to my local farmers market to check out the organic fruit stands. I was very impressed with the quality of food they had for sale.
I have 3 local CSA's in my area my area. I live in an agriculture product producing area of our county.
Buying organic helps you avoid the synthetic fertilizers and pesticides and sewage sludge, it also helps you avoid the irradiation which is used for food preservation.
GMO's cause toxic effects such as hepatic, pancreatic, renal or reproductive effects and may alter the hematological biochemical, and immunological parameters.
Hydrogenated vegetable oil transfat increases LDL bad cholesterol which puts you at risk for heart disease. Synthetic ingredients, artificial chemicals accumulate in your body and can affect your skin, mucus membranes and cause cancer.
Some local organizations that help you avoid bad ingredients are: Green Planet, Organic Consumers Association, Non GMO Project, GMO Inside and Just Label It.

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2021 :  12:55:37 PM  Show Profile
Candy, did you get any organic produce while you were there?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2021 :  3:41:30 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, it sounds like you are living in a great place for fresh and safe foods at your finger tips. Did you join any of the CSAs to see how they work for your menu needs?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

tigger9777
Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader & Guru / FG Guide

152 Posts

Candy
Oakley CA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2022 :  7:47:03 PM  Show Profile
I have not joined any of the 3 local CSA's in my area because I can readily get fresh fruits and vegetables at either the local farmers market each Saturday, or our grocery stores all carry an organic section to purchase from. Last Spring 2021, my garden did not produce as well as I thought it would (except for the tomatoes). I have a fruit tree section on the ranch and have canned my plum jam each year. Hoping to get the apricots, grapes, and 4 types of apples before the critters have their feast this next year 2022.
Candy Hogan #8283
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Know Your Food Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page