msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2022 :  10:11:58 AM  Show Profile
Well ladies, I am going big this year. We officially doubled our front yard garden and I bought a ton of fruit trees. I am going for a "forest garden"...I have always wanted this but didn't have the right terminology for it. It's a permaculture term and you can look it up. It's just right for me because I love to mix and match things and I detest straight lines! I'll have to get some pix...

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2022 :  12:28:27 PM  Show Profile
Yes send pix! Will be anxious to see your plan unfold “in living color”!

Edited by - VegiChik on Feb 10 2022 12:32:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2022 :  05:04:38 AM  Show Profile
While Amanda is going big this year I am going small. All I have to do to keep me in check is to remind myself what I plant in the spring I will have to water daily in the heat of Aug. I'm just not willing or up to doing that anymore.

I only ordered three types of seeds. Star of David okra; and two types of zinnias. Will buy herb plants to replace those that didn't make it through the winter from local fruit/veg stand.

The okra will go in raised bed. I grew okra there last year and it did quite well. I love picking a handfull of okra and frying it for breakfast.

The zinnias will go into containers. Haven't decided if they will be on the east side of the house with the raised beds or on the back deck. Got a week to make up my mind.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2022 :  11:28:12 AM  Show Profile
The other morning I planted a few seeds. Tomatoes, jalapeno, and tomatillos. Was going to give the t. a try to make salsa verde. Got to get some broccoli and cauliflower to start yet. I forgot I tossed all my old seed last year.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2022 :  07:06:05 AM  Show Profile
This morning I pre-ordered 20 yellow tulip bulbs to be delivered in Sept. I will put them all in a large container and winter over next to the back of my house which faces south. Next spring when they begin to sprout I will move to the front yard.

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2204 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2204 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2022 :  1:46:02 PM  Show Profile
I want to put in a plug for the Seed Swap. You can choose veggies or flowers or both. You could request a specific type or be surprised.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2022 :  07:23:29 AM  Show Profile
That will be beautiful next spring Sara! My seedlings are off to a great start and the potatoes are here. Now it just needs to stop snowing and warm up :) We're trying trellises for the first time this year - made of cattle panels. I watched some great looking gardens on youtube and convinced my in laws (we share a garden) that we need to try it. Hopefully it works well.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2022 :  5:49:28 PM  Show Profile
I transplanted my seedlings yesterday. Even got a grow light for them this year. I tried just an led light last year and they did not do good. Heather I used hog panels for pea fencing. And I made a cover for my strawberry bed out of a hog panel and chicken wire. lots of uses. Happy gardening.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2022 :  10:02:04 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, good job on getting your seedlings out. I sowed a pkg of Star of David okra this morning in raised bed. Felt good to play in dirt again. Next to sow is two kinds of zinnas. Hope to get it done by the weekend. As Michelle says "Happy Gardening".

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2022 :  3:52:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh sorry I just transplanted into bigger containers. Here we are expecting rain/snow/ice, and who knows for the next few days.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2022 :  09:49:51 AM  Show Profile
Last year Grace "Katmom" told us about the strawberry mint she bought. You know how it goes - Farmgirl see - Farmgirl do. I found one on-line and got it. It survived the winter - well a tiny sprig of a few leaves did. With the help of bobbypins I have been pegging the sprig as it grew. It now has a dozen leaves and looks like it is rooting in several places.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2022 :  1:45:55 PM  Show Profile
My sister and I went to Kelly's veg & plant stand. I got a rosemary and thyme to replace the ones that didn't make it through the winter. They are now planted in pots on my back deck. Handy to kitchen.

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2022 :  4:02:28 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone grown acorn squash? I have some seeds and thought about trying to grow some on a cattle panel. Not sure if that's a good idea or not. I've never grown it before.

Sara - my mint is still hibernating. I've tried a couple varieties in the past but I've never had the strawberry one. I did like the pineapple one. It's a pretty leaf too. We have our seed potatoes but it's too wet and cold to plant anything yet. Maybe by the end of next week I can get some peas out. We'll see.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2022 :  6:34:04 PM  Show Profile
Have grown acorn squash a number of years. Most years they were great-last year the squash buggies got them. Gardening: every year an experiment! But we love it!!!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2022 :  02:47:37 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I always find it so interesting how we all garden in different planting zones. Around here peas (which I don't grow) have been in the ground since Feb.

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2022 :  12:34:11 PM  Show Profile
I agree, Sara! It's very interesting how different all the zones are. We have snow in the forecast for Friday and Saturday. My daffodils are braving the cold and blooming, and my chives are a couple inches tall but that's it. I think my mother in law has a couple tulips blooming but I don't have any of them in my flower beds. Oh, I do have a bunch of iris's from my grandma and they're starting to green up and grow a tiny bit.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
103 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  11:43:30 AM  Show Profile
No matter what zone we are in, we probably all start some seeds indoors & then need to thin, sometimes pot-up, & finally harden off & plant outdoors. I always have a hard time with thinning my seedlings; just seems such a shame to nip off a few even if they are smaller than the others ( I mean they are trying SO hard to grow !) But I know if I don’t, ALL the seedlings will struggle. This year I had a “lightbulb” moment as I thinned: Why not save the little guys I nip off & eat them-microgreens!!! Had a very tasty sandwich for lunch :)!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - May 05 2022 :  12:16:28 PM  Show Profile
Excellent idea, Sharon.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - May 07 2022 :  07:45:56 AM  Show Profile
I've just come in from sitting on my Yellow Rose Cottage front porch, enjoying the morning sun and a cup of tea. First, I thought I saw a lone bee on the heirloom climbing red roses but as I watched it turned out to be the smallest wasp I have ever seen. Wasp are pollinators too, so it was good to see it, but it's sad that with all the roses in bloom only one wee wasp was enjoying them. Just feet away from the roses is my sage in bloom and the parsley is about to bloom. I let my herbs bloom so the bees, butterflies, and wasps will have something to eat. While outside I saw only the one wasp and one butterfly. Each year I see them less and less, but we still need them to pollinate.

Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2022 :  3:08:39 PM  Show Profile
Picked some spinach today. The first thing to come out of the garden this year.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2022 :  3:26:09 PM  Show Profile
Andrea, first pickings from garden are always the best. Won't be too many days before I can pick by first batch of okra.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2022 :  1:56:26 PM  Show Profile
Checked on my strawberry mint today and it has really taken off. Only one wee sprig survived the winter, so I pegged it down with a hairpin. As it grew, I pegged more down, now it is a thriving plant that I should be able to harvest come fall.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2022 :  1:59:53 PM  Show Profile
I’m so jealous of all your gardens. Mine is struggling this year so far and it doesn’t help that I planted a smaller garden. We had a super cold couple of nights that we shouldn’t have had that took some of my plants. I have had to replace a couple as well. Also my peas are still coming up and I should be harvesting some by now. Our weather has really messed a lot up. I’m hoping it will catch up soon.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2022 :  2:30:22 PM  Show Profile
Krista, I know what you mean about messed up days. Today is hot but overcast. This morning it was dark at 10. We are having a lot of dark days.

Go to Top of Page

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2022 :  6:38:27 PM  Show Profile
Krista, every year will be different! The sun, the wind, the soil, the critters. We each just do our best & enjoy the bounty of whatever we do harvest. Next year we try again. Even if the cucumbers “crumble”, our souls still thrive as we connect to the dirt under our fingernails.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Garden Gate: Previous Topic 2022 - Our Gardens. Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page