MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2022 :  1:07:31 PM  Show Profile
I swear I read somewhere that having to many bell peppers on one plant at a time is bad. Sort of like a fruit overload. The bell peppers won’t grow because the plant is trying to ripen to many. So my question is how many peppers is that? My pepper plants are doing amazing. I have tons of peppers on each one. But the thing is they are supposed to be orange and yellow peppers. I would love for them to ripen to the correct color so how many do I need to take off as green first? Or can you really leave them all on to ripen to orange and yellow? Anyone have any experience with this?

Krista

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2022 :  6:46:56 PM  Show Profile
I've only ever grown the green ones and I wasn't aware that there could be too many on a plant - so needless to say I'm not much help LOL! I am curious what others have to say though.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2022 :  02:59:53 AM  Show Profile
I have never pulled off peppers either. Before a frost I have picked them big and small and use them. Do they turn orange and yellow with age, starting out green? I have had them that were supposed to be colored and they never turned just stayed green.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2022 :  06:45:19 AM  Show Profile
Michele, yes. All peppers start out green and change colors. I have already had one green turn orange but that was a month ago. That plant was producing one before the rest but only that one.

I have tried searching the internet and haven’t really found an answer. I may be searching with the wrong phrase I guess. Or maybe I’m confusing myself with something else.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2022 :  9:37:46 PM  Show Profile
I too have never had more then a few Bells on each plant, and have never picked off any.. that being said,
I do pluck off a few of the lower leaves...kind of like what I do with my tomatoes.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2022 :  1:02:36 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I have 3 plants right now all with 11 pretty decent sized peppers. So they are pretty full. Fingers crossed they change colors soon.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2022 :  10:29:57 PM  Show Profile
Hey Krista,, let us know if they turn... I planted 'reds' one year, all they did was turn a brownish color.. oh well, they still cooked up well.

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2022 :  11:55:51 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I have just 1 turning orange! I hope the others follow along soon.

You can see 4 others right around it that are pretty good sizer, just still green lol!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2022 :  4:59:22 PM  Show Profile
Ladies---as I understand it --- the colored peppers mean they are ripe and ready to save for seed. If you let them ripen they stop producing green peppers to ripen and go to seed- You can' have too many green peppers---they are just immature ripe ones. You have to chose to let them ripen or not---I pick mine green. That is why ripe peppers cost more in stores,

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2279 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2279 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2022 :  08:38:25 AM  Show Profile
When frost threatens my garden, I pick all my peppers and store them in my canning room. They eventually ripen, get sweeter and turn the proper color. We usually don’t have a long enough growing season for our peppers to ripen in the garden.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2022 :  1:07:40 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Barbara. That makes sense. I guess I will do a mix of both. I do like the flavor of the colored ones better but would like to have as many as I can.

Julie, that is good to know. How long does it typically take for them to turn colors? I would like to try that as well.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2279 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2279 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2022 :  7:45:53 PM  Show Profile
Depends on there level of maturity when picked. Usually two to six weeks.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2022 :  10:26:19 AM  Show Profile
HG56...Barbara... Hey Girlie,, where ya been? glad UR back.. hugz

Krista,, I might just have to re-try growing yellow or red bells next year. I only harvested 1 green, this summer.. my 1 and only bell plant came up as a volunteer, from a seed from last year... it is small not the size of last years bells. oh well, it was a freebie, no complaints.. now if only my cucumbers would mature.. uugh!
BTW, last year I was lazy and tilled/composted some of my veggies back into the planter bin rather then hauled over to the compost bin,, me, being lazy! lol!

Luv fresh cut veggie with Ranch or Hummus dip.. yum!

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2022 :  1:23:40 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I have concluded this year that I prefer to grow yellow and orange peppers instead of red or green. My one garden box has red and green and they are very small and slow growing. My other garden box has the yellow and orange and they are big plants with perfect sized peppers and many of them too. So my thoughts are since they start green and then change colors there is no point buying green because you can harvest when the colored ones are still green. I picked 6 green from my garden last night. I love fresh veggies in ranch! I love anything from my garden actually lol!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2022 :  2:43:04 PM  Show Profile
I have been collecting peppers as I have been needing/ wanting them and the plants are still going strong. Must have been some sort of confusion I had. Thank you all for your help. I will just leave them be until I eat them.

Turned these green ones into stuffed bell peppers last night.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2022 :  08:13:30 AM  Show Profile
Up here in Northern Michigan my bell peppers finally starting to turn colors! I do have to watch them tho; I pick them soon after they turn so they don’t begin to get soft.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2022 :  1:57:02 PM  Show Profile
I have noticed that with mine too. Some stay fine but others start to get soft. So I have been watching mine more closely.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Bell pepper plant question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page