Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2022 :  1:52:37 PM  Show Profile
We're very sad to inform you that MaryJane's husband, Nick, passed away this last weekend.

Nick Ogle, Obituary

Nicholas Keith Ogle was born in Gritman Hospital in Moscow, Idaho, on November 3, 1950, to Ivan James Ogle and Ruth Evelyn Morton Ogle, fourth of their four children. He died in Gritman on August 21, 2022, his wife and children by his side, from metastatic prostate cancer, diagnosed in 2017, that eventually triggered a fatal bout of pneumonia. An organ-donor advocate, his corneas have already given sight to two people.

Nick grew up on the family farm in the Blaine Community, driving tractors and doing fieldwork from the age of 10. As an adult, he served as the unofficial mayor of Blaine, maintaining the one-room schoolhouse where his aunts, uncles, and neighbors attended school.

His mother’s sister, Alberta Morton Phillips, was the school organist and eventually became the top academic-achieving student (and only woman) accepted into the University of Idaho College of Law in 1938. Nick grew up in a farm kitchen with a wood cookstove and hand-crank wall phone that used telephone lines installed by his father and nearby neighbors, who also used horse-drawn equipment to plow and maintain the county roads surrounding the once-thriving community of Blaine.

In 4-H, Nick raised chickens and lambs and learned about electricity. As a teenager, he was active in FFA. A man of expansive interests, he was plowing through Janson’s voluminous History of Art book prior to his death. Known for being thrifty and making do and capable of repairing anything mechanical, his true love was digging in the dirt with heavy equipment. As a child, he and his sister spent hours on a dirt bank in their horse pasture, building roads and digging caves for their toy trucks and soldiers. As an adult, he used his tractor to accomplish the same things but on a much larger scale, building roads, digging ditches, plowing snow, and without hesitation, pulling out the cars of neighbors and strangers alike who got stuck in snowdrifts or ditches. Schooled in the era of the neighborly hand wave and handshake, his word was his bond.

Nick graduated from Moscow High School in 1969 and attended the University of Idaho for two years, where he met his first wife (now Susan Ryan Irvin of Moscow). After living in Boise, they moved back to Blaine to work on the family farm in 1974. Sons Samuel and Brian were born and raised there. After his divorce, he married MaryJane Butters. During their 30 years together, they created a diverse farm enterprise that includes a mail-order organic food business; an outdoor B&B; a small dairy; the Pay Dirt Farm School; a 115-acre native prairie and pollinator sanctuary; and MaryJanesFarm magazine, now in its 23rd year of publication. Employing their adult children and spouses, friends, and neighbors, their union and endeavors were immortalized in a 1995 National Geographic feature called “A Farming Revolution.”

Like his mother, who volunteered for many years at Gritman, Nick was active in his community, serving on the board of the Pea and Lentil Commission and the Moscow Food Co-op. Nick took on whatever responsibility life handed him, including being the primary caregiver for his parents in their final years. He met every challenge with composure; determination; and a steady, easy-going nature and is a hero and role model to his family and countless employees who have worked with him. To know Nick was to love Nick.

Nick is survived by his wife, MaryJane Butters; his children, stepchildren, and grandchildren, Samuel Blaine (Natsue) Ogle and son Ryo, Hachiochi City, Japan; Brian Grant (Ashley) Ogle, and daughters Adria and Alina, Moscow; Megan Butters (Lucas) Rae and children Stella, Mia, and Tristan Nicholas, Moscow; Emil (Kate) McCarthy and children Frank and Edith, Rathdrum, Idaho; and siblings Joan (William) Nelson, Layton, Utah; Richard (Carol) Ogle, Houston, Texas; Sandra (John) Cruise, Boise, Idaho; and many cousins, nieces, and nephews in the Moscow area and around the world.

A memorial service will be held at the Blaine schoolhouse at a date yet to be determined once Japan’s Covid restrictions are lifted, allowing son Sam’s reentry to Japan after traveling to the U.S.

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6391 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6391 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2022 :  1:57:46 PM  Show Profile
How Sad. I am so sorry Mary Jane and Family for the loss of your Beloved Nick.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February 2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple !!

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9090 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9090 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2022 :  2:20:46 PM  Show Profile
Oh MY goodness, I did not expect to see this. So sorry and sad. Many prayers and thoughts
going out to the family.
NANCY JO

NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2022 :  2:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
So sorry to hear this. Sending hugs and prayers for the entire family on the loss of husband, father, grandfather, uncle, brother, cousin, and friend.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2022 :  3:04:34 PM  Show Profile
So sorry for MaryJane and her family.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1093 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1093 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2022 :  3:27:05 PM  Show Profile
So very sorry for your loss Mary Jane. Much love and prayers going up for you and your family as you try to navigate through the weeks and months ahead.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2022 :  7:33:35 PM  Show Profile
I’m so sorry to hear about Nick’s passing. Prayers of comfort for everyone.

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2022 :  03:31:58 AM  Show Profile
So Sorry for your loss. Prayers to all.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2022 :  05:37:45 AM  Show Profile
So very sorry for the loss of Nick. My prayers for MaryJane and all the family.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2022 :  11:27:34 AM  Show Profile
Oh No,, so very sorry,,
Words fail me,, but just know I am wrapping MaryJane and family in hugs and loving prayers.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2022 :  11:42:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh no!!! Mary Jane and family! I'm so terribly sorry and my deepest condolences and prayeres and love to you all. My heart aches....

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2022 :  1:24:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Our condolences to MaryJane and all of their loved ones.

Dawn in IL

"Almost any garden, if you see it at just the right moment, can be confused with paradise." Henry Mitchell
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2022 :  2:21:50 PM  Show Profile
So sad to hear Nick's earthly journey has ended. But, oh my, what a glorious life he lived. Mary Jane, you and your precious family are forever wrapped in the warmth of his eternal love and that of a multitude of Farmgirls.

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking

"When life gives you junk, make a junk journal."
. . . .jean pici
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2022 :  6:32:24 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jane, I am so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful man and a benefit to the community. Good thoughts being sent your way.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

VT Oma
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Sheila
Greensboro Vermont
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2022 :  7:04:27 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jane and family, my heart is aching for your loss of a good man, husband, father, and son. The life he lived is a reflection of the kind of man he was.

'Perform as Much Good as You Possibly Can' - Nichiren
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2022 :  10:45:20 AM  Show Profile
Oh my heart aches for MaryJane and all of Nick's loving family. Nick's life story is so filled with goodness and love too. Loving thoughts and prayers to MaryJane and all of Nick's family.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2022 :  06:00:27 AM  Show Profile
So very sorry to hear of this loss. Keeping MaryJane and all the family in prayer.

Karin
Sister 2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2654 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2654 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2022 :  12:59:35 PM  Show Profile
My sincerest, deepest love and sympathy to you and your family, Mary Jane. What a glorious live Nick lived and what a glorious family he leaves behind. Many prayers for peace and comfort being sent your way.

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2279 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2279 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2022 :  3:48:24 PM  Show Profile
My deepest sympathy to you and your entire family Mary Jane. May the memories surround you and grant you comfort.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4848 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4848 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2022 :  7:26:47 PM  Show Profile
What a beautiful Farm life story.
My thoughts and prayers are with Mary Jane and all of Nicks family.

Connie #3392
Imagine.....
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2022 :  1:17:18 PM  Show Profile
I’m so sorry for your loss Auntie MJ. He will be missed by so many. I still have many memories of him from my childhood. Many hugs to you and the rest of the family. I wish I could be there for real ones.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2022 :  5:15:09 PM  Show Profile
I am just seeing this. I am so heartbroken for this beautiful family, for our dear MaryJane and for Megan, Brian and everyone at MJF. MaryJane, I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your beloved husband, and will keep your family in my prayers.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

Lacey
Chapter Guru

154 Posts

Rea
Davis Ca
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2022 :  6:17:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh so sad, my heart and prayers goes out to you MaryJane and family.

Rea Nakanishi
Farm Girl Of The Month Jan. 2022
“Action is the foundational key to all success.”
– Pablo Picasso
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

345 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
345 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2022 :  2:13:52 PM  Show Profile
Thinking of you, MaryJane, & praying that you will feel the comfort of family and friends around you at this time.

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

710 Posts

Jill
Saanichton British Columbia
Canada
710 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2022 :  10:23:07 PM  Show Profile
So sorry for the loss of your husband, MaryJane. Sending hugs to MaryJane and the family!

Jill
Farmgirl #6748

"When life gets super crazy, do your art. It helps you remember the exquisite, imaginary, delightful, lovely side of what is otherwise sometimes a bit much" Sylvia Olsen
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2022 :  4:12:37 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry for your loss. Hugs and prayers.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **News from MaryJanesFarm:  Sad news Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page