Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Luv VTG Sewing Patterns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Luv VTG Sewing Patterns Next Topic  

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2022 :  11:37:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh how I love Vtg sewing patterns.. scored these 4 for $3.00 at the Thrift.
I use ‘Book tape’ on the inside of the paper jacket to repair and save them.
The one has a date on it. 1947

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2022 :  11:43:11 AM  Show Profile
Wow, that is awesome

There is never a road so long that there isn't a curve in it.
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2022 :  12:11:24 PM  Show Profile
Waaaaaaayyyyyyyy cool Katmom. But, what pray tell, is 'book tape'?

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking

"When life gives you junk, make a junk journal."
. . . .jean pici
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2022 :  3:05:40 PM  Show Profile
Book tape is a special type of book binding/ mending tape that does not yellow,, sort of like Lingen free paper.
I use to buy it at stationary stores but I occasionally find it in photo scrap booking supplies.

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2022 :  5:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Do you actually use the patterns to make clothes? Or for decorations or to wrap packages in?

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1410 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1410 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2022 :  6:05:57 PM  Show Profile
Great find, Grace! A local thrift store l like to visit sells their patterns for $.29 each but I haven't found any that vintage! Thanks for sharing!:)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2022 :  12:04:06 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I collect Vtg patterns for their art work.. but I do buy used(not vintage) patterns and use the tissue paper for wrapping gifts and as gift bag filler instead of white tissue paper.

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2022 :  3:19:02 PM  Show Profile
Lovely finds Grace. I like the blue dresses. Ladies were so fashionable then.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2022 :  4:35:56 PM  Show Profile
Krista,, I once had a tiny waist size, (like in the blue dress).. I think I was about 9years old!!! lololol!

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2022 :  07:51:53 AM  Show Profile
Since I am somewhat of an expert on vintage patterns, (I sell them in my Etsy shop) I thought it might be fun to research these cuties.

I can tell you that the Simplicity 3652 pattern was copyrighted in 1940 and 1941. There is a similar pattern on eBay that is listed for $15.99. If the pattern is uncut, it is worth double at $30.

The Vogue 6519 Pattern was copyrighted in 1948. I can't find a comp for it, so that says that it is a rare pattern. 1940's Vogue patterns sell for between $15 to $30 depending on condition.

I can't see the number on the other two patterns. If you want to know more about them, let me know. I love doing research on these beauties. If you decide you want to sew them up, remember that they changed the standard sizing in the 1960's. You will need to up-size the pattern by at least two sizes.

Either way, you totally stole those patterns by paying $3 for them. Keep them close to your heart.

Love and Hugs,

Sherone

Lean on me, when you're not strong, And I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on, For it won't be long, 'Til I'm gonna need, Somebody to lean on.

Farmgirl Sister #93
FGOTM August 2021

Our Etsy Shops
http://www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

http://www.tinytaylorhomestead.etsy.com

Our Thrive Life Store

http://www.tinytaylorhomestead.thrivelife.com

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2022 :  7:43:58 PM  Show Profile
Sherone,, the blue robe one, The McCall is 7812 is stamped 1949 and the blue dress by 'Advance' is #1834, but no date listed.

I have a bunch of vtg apron patterns too!
I will try to post pics later.
I am amazed how the early patterns are not printed,, just a few holes punched in the tissue.

There is a gal on,,, either instagram or facebook that makes new clothing using vtg pattern and sometimes vtg fabric..

I like that the patterns are for the most part listed/printed for 35" inch fabric,, aka feed, flour, sugar and grain sacks..

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2022 :  7:52:11 PM  Show Profile
Ok, here are the Vtg apron patterns…

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2022 :  7:56:12 PM  Show Profile
Sherone,
Top left to right.,
Advance 9565,
McCalls 1994, dated 1955
Woman’s Day pattern 5022, dated Jan. 1952
Advance 8161

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2022 :  8:05:17 PM  Show Profile

Left to right..
Butterick 3250
Missing front sleeve,.. Simplicity 4137
Advance 4731… notice the pattern numbers between the Simplicity and Advance??
Last one is Anne Adams ,4803, it came in a mailing envelope.. the postage was 1 1/2cent and it looks much like the one from Womans Day magazine from 1952

Shreone, hope you have fun looking at my apron patterns.

** just found the date for the Anne Adams.. 1952**

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Oct 25 2022 8:34:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2022 :  8:19:46 PM  Show Profile
Btw, years ago I photo copied the McCall pattern and decopauged it on scrapbook paper onto cardboard,

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9237 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9237 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2022 :  04:46:14 AM  Show Profile
Grace,
I collect the vintage patterns too.
Advance are the ones that I have that don't use markings, just holes. I also have a few of those same apron patterns. Most I have come from my husband's grandma's house when we were cleaning it out. Many are in covers but they are very torn up. I put them in plastic covers.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2022 :  7:52:50 PM  Show Profile
Denise,, isn't it fun to study these oldies but goodies...

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2022 :  08:25:08 AM  Show Profile
Grace,

OMG how much fun I just had! I am a vintage pattern geek, I admit. If you make it to the end of this post, I will be impressed. Disclaimer: I am not a professional appraiser, so the value here are not certifiable by any means. I use three comps for the value and my experience in selling vintage patterns. The values listed are retail prices. Dealers will expect at least 50% less than retail prices if you want to sell. Personally, I have my own collection and sell the extras. I keep the good stuff.

-McCall 7812; ©1949; Ladies' & Misses' Smock in Two Lengths. Value $8 to $10

-Advance 1834: Could not find a comp, Logo is on the top, so it is from the 1940's, interested to know if your pattern is uncut and factory folded. If so, it may be a really juicy one. Value $10 if cut, $30 if uncut in factory fold.

-Advance 9565; late 1950s; Half Aprons - Value $10 if cut, $20 if uncut in factory fold.

-Advance 8161; ca. 1956; Misses' and Women's Apron. Cover-Up Apron in a Pretty New Shape!. Scalloped bib-top extends into a front panel. Shoulder straps shaped and joined together across upper part of back. Lower edges of apron is scalloped. Apron slips over head, closes at back with tie-bow. Patch pockets are shaped, with bow trim. Purchased bias binding finishes all edges. Can be made reversible. Value - $10 if cut, $30 - $35 if un cut in factory fold.

-McCalls 1994 - 1955 - No comps found - Value $10 if cut, $20 if uncut in factory fold.

-Woman's Day 5022; ©1952; Halter-Wrap Dress & Bolero. Full-skirted dress wraps to the back with narrow waist ties, features large inside pockets, topstitched. Can be worn with or without shorty bolero. We used a tattersail-striped denim for the dress and a coordinated solid color for the bolero. Value - Value $10 if cut, $25 to $30 if uncut in factory fold.

-Butterick 3250; ca. 1945; Dress-Up Aprons in Four Styles. view A – V-shaped midriff and lace edging. View B – Brief apron with pointed midriff glamorous over a dinner dress, too. View C – Shortie with scallops and contrasting ruffled flounce. View D – Diamond shaped apron with ruffly border. Value $10 if cut, $25 if uncut in factory fold.

-Simplicity 4137 - Due to missing sleeve, value is sentimental only.

-Advance 4731; ca. 1947; View 1, Apron with Embroidered Banding and Bias Tape Binding. View 2, Apron with Embroidered Ruffles and Bias Tape Binding. View 3, Apron with Contrasting Scalloped Border. Value $10 if cut, $35 - $40 if uncut in factory fold.

-Anne Adams 4803; ca. 1952; Misses' Wrapron: Double value for your sewing time! It's a jumper - it's a wrapron - make it also in a brief version for a cover-up apron that really protects you! No fitting problems, it wraps. No ironing problems, it opens flat. Misses' sleeveless V-neck wrap dress/apron in two lengths with low V back has dart fitted bodice patch pockets and front tie ends. Topstitch trim. Eight unprinted pattern pieces. Same pattern was released as American Weekly 3847. Value $10 if cut, $25 - $30 if uncut in factory fold.

Video about storing vintage packages - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1zKz7XCts0

Fun video about how to use a vintage pattern - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak08KSflygI Stephanie Canada is so entertaining and very knowledgeable.

Interesting Notes:

Advance patterns were sold exclusively by J.C. Penney. This is particularly interesting to me because the first JC Penney store, located in Kemmerer, WY, is 30 miles from where I live i. In the mid 1960's the Advance company was sold to Puritan Fashions. They stopped using the Advance name.

Sherone

Lean on me, when you're not strong, And I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on, For it won't be long, 'Til I'm gonna need, Somebody to lean on.

Farmgirl Sister #93
FGOTM August 2021

Our Etsy Shops
http://www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

http://www.tinytaylorhomestead.etsy.com

Our Thrive Life Store

http://www.tinytaylorhomestead.thrivelife.com

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2022 :  12:34:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh My Stars! Sherone,, you are a wishing well full of info!
After I put these patterns back I debated to pull out the bag ful of 1960's to 70's patterns including apron ones! But I did not want to send you into research shock! lol!
Dang, wish you lived in my neighborhood, I'd have you come over for tea and scones and we could pull out all my vtg patterns and gab about them,, then I could go to your house and see all of your vtg patterns..
We'd never get any house work done... would we?? lol!
Thank you for all the info.. I try not to handle all my patterns too much because they are so fragile (the jackets) but I do need to gently take a peek to see which are cut or un-cut.. I think maybe this Winter a good project will be to tuck in a note with the pattern date and if cut and any other info.. ..
I might have to buy Lignin free- acid free clear sleeves to put each pattern in to protect them..

Thanx sew very much for sharing your wealth of pattern knowledge..

hugz

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Oct 27 2022 12:35:08 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Luv VTG Sewing Patterns Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page