Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Now I am thinking about next year already!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Now I am thinking about next year already! Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1430 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1430 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2022 :  4:52:12 PM  Show Profile
I love the idea of accountability! I need to spend some time in my craft space in the next few days to determine things that need to be finished. Then I can make a list and a plan!! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2022 :  5:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I think there used to be a thread here for Finished UFOs. I'd be happy to start a new thread for 2023 if that would help us all keep on track. One of our first UFOs might be to organize our sewing/crafting area - maybe a little at a time. I doubt I could get my sewing room organized quickly, but I could organize at least a part of it.

We could each post a list of UFOs we want to finish and then work on them throughout the year. When we finish a UFO we might tell how long it has been a UFO and how long it took to finish, and anything else about it we'd like to share. Our lists might be a moving target - so we can add to it as we find more UFOs and put a date on those UFOs we finished.

What do you think? Would it help to keep us on track?

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

764 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
764 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2022 :  6:03:50 PM  Show Profile
You are right, Linda. There was a UFO thread that went on for a few years. I think it started when the Finish Your UFOs merit badge came out. I still have 3 left from my original list. One I am STILL struggling with, trying to decide whether it’s worth my time to finish it.
A new UFO thread might be a good idea!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1125 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1125 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2022 :  6:30:13 PM  Show Profile
I didn’t know there was a badge for ufo’s! I have so many, several over 20 years old, that I need to finish. I have been moving my craft room, and decided this will be my goal this coming year. I am excited to get started, thanks for the motivation everyone.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
FGOTM August 2022
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

764 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
764 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2022 :  7:33:51 PM  Show Profile
We can keep each other motivated, Wanda!!!
The first 2 steps in the badge were very doable… the expert level much more difficult! Haha! FINISH them all! After a couple of years, I’m still trying to finish!!!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2022 :  8:05:13 PM  Show Profile
I hosted the UFO thread for a while. My first step was to list the UFOs I had (at least upstairs). I then created a spreadsheet on which I made labels that helped me know what the heck the project was for. Sadly, I think the computer ate my list and I will have to start it over again. I will definitely decide what not to keep and put those projects in the traveling craft box when it comes around. I posted a list of maybe 5 UFOs I wanted to work on immediately and posted pictures of them. I believe it would be helpful to check in every week to update the progress and celebrate a finish. I will sign up.

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2022 :  9:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Hard to finish them all, when the list is consantly added to. I guess you could make a list and finish all on the list.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2022 :  9:22:29 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Or what about not calling them UFOs, but PhDs? I have a t-shirt that says "I'm working on my PhD - Projects Half Done". We could all get our PhDs. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

764 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
764 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2022 :  9:38:22 PM  Show Profile
Haha!!!!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770

Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1125 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1125 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2022 :  07:07:15 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Debbie, I will definitely need a push from time to time.
I love it Linda! I want to earn my PhD, lol.

Farm Girl #3677
FGOTM August 2022
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2022 :  08:26:41 AM  Show Profile
My goal this year is to use my stash. No fabric purchases, no yarn cuddling, no new paper supplies. I am only using what I have and if I need a special piece I think I will put a barter request up on the barter board. My craft room is never going to get cleaned out if I don’t start somewhere. First up on my list is mittens from the old sweaters and felted wool I have collected for so long. The left overs are going to become baby goat sweaters for my granddaughters herd of goats. She starts kidding in February so I best get started now.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1125 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1125 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2022 :  08:48:28 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like a great idea Julie! I have so much stock piled I shouldn’t need a thing. Reorganizing has made me realize I spend more because I couldn’t find things!

Farm Girl #3677
FGOTM August 2022
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

764 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
764 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2022 :  09:01:33 AM  Show Profile
Cleaning and organizing sewing room closets and shelves is kind of like shopping in your own private store! Even better if you still like what you find!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17032 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17032 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2022 :  09:36:39 AM  Show Profile
For those out there who don't have any PhD or UFO's.. come on over to my house.. I have plenty to go around! lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2022 :  3:39:47 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Me, too, Grace, and I will share!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2022 :  3:48:31 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Julie - wish I had some old wool or feltable sweaters. Would you be willing to sell or barter some to me? None of the thrift stores seem to have the good sweaters anymore. I want to make some of the "Bernie Sanders mittens" - I have the pattern, but need the sweaters to felt.
And I have tried to not purchase any more fabric and other supplies, but really need to put the brakes on. I have fabrics for quilt tops, but not as much for backings. I just got a HUGE Christmas quilt back from the longarmer and I used quite a few pieces of Christmas fabric on the back - that halped reduce the Christmas fabrics some, but still have lots and lots.

Debbie - I agree. I find stuff I forgot I had. I do want to start getting rid of the projects I know I won't finish and"gift" them to someone with grandchildren so they can make them. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2022 :  7:39:25 PM  Show Profile
Linda-I will work through my stash and see what I have left over. I need several pairs mittens for family members like me that live on the frozen tundra.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2022 :  8:04:56 PM  Show Profile
I have much of my supplies in the storage locker. Unfortunately, DH has piled some heavy, defunct musical equipment on the top. I am not strong enough or have time to pull it all out and rearrange it. I am also reluctant to toss any of his stuff. I know some stuff down there that I want to use and some books I want to have available. I've wanted these books upstairs for at least two years. I guess I need to get someone to help me with this. My problem is that DH is no longer working and is always around (he will complain about someone else helping) and I have been working 3 days a week and other places to go and don't have time. <Sigh>

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2023 :  07:07:05 AM  Show Profile
I agree with you Wanda. I can’t tell you how many times I have just bought something I needed only to find the exact same thing later in my stash.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2023 :  1:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message

I inherited over 55 yards of Raggedy Ann and Andy fabrics when my mother passed away. When going through the "stash" there were sometimes 2-3 pieces of the same fabrics. I think she bought some of the RA fabrics every time she saw some and forgot she already had that pattern. I have made my niece and nephew each a RA/RA quilt and still have loads left. I am thinking of cutting all the fabrics into 10" or 12" blocks and selling sets of 12 blocks as a kit for a baby quilt top; all they'd have to do is add sashing, batting, backing and binding. I may do the same with my multitude of cat print fabrics.

Good luck to all for an organized New Year 2023.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1430 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1430 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2023 :  4:48:32 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I love the idea of an accountability thread for UFOs!! That would help remind me that those projects are there. Sometimes I can be a “out sight, out of mind” kind of girl!! Lol

Debbie K…as far as your UFO…do you think it will bring you joy when it’s done? Would someone else enjoy finishing it more? Will it be useful when finished? Sometimes those questions help me decide whether or not I should finish a project. I’m sure we have all started projects that we thought had the “perfect” color scheme, layout, or style and when we go to finish them we just don’t love them like we used too. And that’s totally ok. The money has been spent…letting something go may bring more joy than trying to finish something. Hope that makes sense.

Julie, I made using my stash one of my goals for 2022. I did ok. Lol. I have decided to continue it for 2023. I’m going to need to get creative with my fabric stash but I can do it! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2023 :  5:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Using my stash and what I have on hand is definitely on my list of goals. I did use quite a bit last year, but still have a lot to go.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2023 :  08:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Here is a link to some nice leg warmer patterns - maybe you know someone (yourself?) who could use them depending on their weather these days? Maybe a good way to use up some yarn.

https://theyarncrew.com/7-free-crochet-leg-warmer-patterns-perfect-for-this-winter/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=new_week_new_inspirations_the_yarn_crew&utm_term=2023-01-02

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9251 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9251 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2023 :  1:45:51 PM  Show Profile
Cute ideas Grace!
We used to make the felt mice when my kids were young. We used to give them away so I really should make more. When I was going through our Christmas things this year I seemed to have lost a couple of things in our move. One of them being the last little mouse we had. The other thing was a beautiful stocking my daughter had made me. She did make me another this year but it just isn't the same. I do love it though.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2023 :  4:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
So much fabric and yarn and craft stuff and so many ideas and so little time. LOL! Whew! Just thinking about it all is overwhelming!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Now I am thinking about next year already! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page