AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2023 :  4:11:46 PM  Show Profile
Karen, you are not wasting anyones time. It's cold & rainy here so I'm just sitting in front of the TV at night.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1418 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1418 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2023 :  6:08:16 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Andrea!! :)

Here is my practice from today…

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2023 :  08:15:58 AM  Show Profile
I have a kit that I bought years ago. In it there are 2 booklets, some paper, and I don't know the correct terms for them but there are 3 "pens" that you insert a plastic tube of ink into and screw on a nib at the top. There are 2 incredibly small (narrow) nibs and one wider one. Once the ink is opened it can not be closed up again. There are various colors. There are also 3 markers that are much wider than the nibs.

My booklets have directions (arrows and numbers) to show you how many strokes and what direction to make the strokes. Then it shows you some projects you can make. There is nothing in there to practice like your practice sheets - does your book tell you what to practice? I'm hoping to get a library card (another badge!) next week and look into getting the required book for the badge.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2023 :  3:49:22 PM  Show Profile
I received my book as well. I have only read the first 3 pages. I am also using the pens. I did lots of internet searching and came across a youtube video showing all the different kinds of writing tools and the guy highly suggested not starting with the nibs and dipping ink because they are more difficult to learn with and can become frustrating to someone just learning. I didn't want to become discouraged so that's why I chose to start with the brush pens. My book has practice pages and also shows you how to write the letters. I just haven't written in my book yet. I have been using paper.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2023 :  3:10:07 PM  Show Profile
Here is all of my practice papers. I do see some slight improvement each time. I am anxious to be able to write a name but it's a little complicated still. And I have also discovered that I have a slanting issue and can't go straight across a paper lol. So I tried with a lined paper and I did better. I have a goal of making the food signs for my son's birthday, that's why my last paper is practicing those words. I love this badge!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1418 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1418 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2023 :  7:22:11 PM  Show Profile
Krista!! Look at you! I need to practice more! :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2023 :  2:02:38 PM  Show Profile
I am trying! I have been trying the different styles from the book to see if I can find one that fits me best. It seems like I am a mix between them all lol! Have you started the book?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1418 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1418 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2023 :  5:10:15 PM  Show Profile
On my list to read this weekend…lol. I have thumbed through..

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2023 :  12:52:06 PM  Show Profile
I have looked through as well but the actual reading is taking me a little while. I need to set a goal for a certain amount of pages a night and see if that helps.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1418 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1418 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2023 :  7:02:04 PM  Show Profile
I’ve almost to the conclusion that real actual calligraphy may not be my thing!! Lol. I was practicing the different letters in the book and was getting very frustrated!! :) Practice, practice, practice! :)

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2023 :  1:51:07 PM  Show Profile
Karen, I feel that I have to hold the pen at the perfect angle in order for it to work. And it takes me quite a few tries until I can get my hand and arm in the right position. Once I do, then I wont shift again. My hand and arm end up feeling a little sore afterwards. I must be using muscles you normally don't use to write everyday. Don't give up! You got this! You have been helping me keep up with the badge.

Krista

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Calligraphy Question Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page