Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Singer 221 and 301
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Singer 221 and 301 Next Topic  

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2023 :  5:33:56 PM  Show Profile
There is something special about sewing with an old basic Feather
Weight 221 machine…
I decided that since I have 3 machines to take to the ‘Spa’ I needed to be practical, or else take out a loan against my house to pay for all 3 services…
I decided that my 1952 machine needed repair I would service the other FW myself..
Well a wee bit later,,, she purrrs like a kitten!
So I saved myself $70..,
So I thought, why not pull out my old Singer 301…
Did the same, oil and lubricant… and guess what, she too purrrs like a kitten!
So I saved myself another $70…

I still need to bring in my Viking to be serviced but it does not have to be right away…

I have a 401 Singer and a Rocketter.. but they will have to wait another day for me to work on them…

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2023 :  5:42:09 PM  Show Profile

The Singer 301. Was next Generation, this one is 1956… I wanted to do Darning or free hand embroidery there was-is a knob on the under side by the bobbin housing,, just turn it until the feed dog was lower then the needle plate..
It was portable but could be put in a sewing table…

Luv this sweet machine…

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1408 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1408 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2023 :  6:46:48 PM  Show Profile
Way to be resourceful, Grace! :) I love your machines…I’ve got my eyes open to find an oldie…maybe I’ll start a collection! Hahaha

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2023 :  7:19:37 PM  Show Profile
Yippee! I found my other 301… actually it’s a 301A in Tan, with out the fancy embellishments.

This one also sews like a dream, it’s just more plain jane….
Tonight I will service her,, make her feel beautiful again.
Btw. This one is a 1953.
The black one was made in 1952

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Mar 16 2023 7:59:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2023 :  8:03:13 PM  Show Profile
One of the nice things about these utilitarian machines is,, you could by add-on button hole makers as well as Zig-Zag & a few fancy stitch makers (attachment)...
Also, all you had to do was drop the feed dog and you could stitch free-hand designs..

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2023 :  8:26:40 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Ed worked on one of my 2 301s and my 401A. He said he'd work on the Featherweights and other machines, too.

I also have some older Singer machines I have gotten from estate sales and I want him to work on one to gift to a high school jr. I met Tuesday. She and I went thrifting on and had a great time together. She is the girlfriend of Lucius, the high school senior who lives next door. He was helping Ed with some tree removal at Ed's property. I was talking about scrap quilts and she said it sounded like fun. She said she didn't have a machine when I asked, so I am going to give her one.

I'd love a Rocketeer and a Featherseight 222 - but in no rush to get them. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2023 :  8:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I have about 4 or 5 of the buttonholers for the slant and straight needle old Singer machines. I also have one of the Zig Zag or fancy stitch attachments for the featherweight. I'll have to find it.

My 301s are one of each color just like yours. And one of them came with the table and buttonholer. I already have my mother's Featherweight table. The tables are like a card table with a pop-out piece that covers where the machine sits when in use.

The 401A is in a cabinet.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Mar 16 2023 8:31:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2023 :  8:35:54 PM  Show Profile
Oh Linda,, that is so wonderful that you are giving that young girl one of your machines..

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2023 :  03:09:29 AM  Show Profile
You can get a kit from The Feather Weight Shop, to polish and shine your machine. My sister had gotten it, and that is what we used. She also said if you oil is yellow it is old, use it in a tool shop. Oil should be clear. Yes my old is quite old.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2023 :  10:42:43 AM  Show Profile
Michele,, I hope to get to make a trip down to the F.W. Shop in ID,,, this summer...
We have 2 repair shopes here in Spokane,, I prefer the one closer to me, and he sells the Singer oil and lubricant.. I will as well as other items for older machines..
Have you bought any of the fabric from the F.W. shop?

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2023 :  3:41:06 PM  Show Profile
When your kitty feels like you are spending more time with your sewing machine then you are with her!!!

She certainly is giving me the Stink Eye!!!

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1408 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1408 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2023 :  6:56:24 PM  Show Profile
Lol…Grace!! The look on her face is priceless!! I love it!

How fun, Linda, that you are going to give one of your machines to your new friend! I love this so much! :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2023 :  07:48:40 AM  Show Profile
LOL!! Grace, the look on your kitty's face is priceless and I agree, she couldn't express her opinion any better!

Congrats for figuring out how to service your own old machines. I have my Mom's 1957 machine and I know it needs a spa day, but I don't know even where or how to begin. Plus if I mess it up, I don't have a back-up like you do.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2023 :  03:17:55 AM  Show Profile
I have never ordered fabric from the FW shop. I did just get light bulbs. Trying the LED one too. It sure is bright. But.....I got up this morning and my machine was glowing as I walked past it. I unplugged it, but not sure why the light would be on slightly. The only thing I can think of is we had LED's in the hallway light fixtures. They too "glowed" at night. We changed out those bulbs. Any one have any ideas?

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2023 :  10:13:48 AM  Show Profile
Michelle,, well that's interesting... You must have a glowing personality..

I am 'sew' impressed with the FW Shop... I ordered on Friday and got the items on Saturday!!! that being said,, from my town to them is a 3 1/2 hr drive... lol!

I have decided too order 3 more sets of rubber feet, might as well replace the other feet on my machines...

I am going to attempt to repair my one FW "Lucy" who knows,, I just might save mytself $70, if not, then I will take her in to the shop.

fingers, eyes and legs crossed... lol!

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6792 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6792 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2023 :  10:28:29 AM  Show Profile
Grace this is way off the subject but last night I was watching Columbo and there was a kitty just like your kitty. Same darling face and attitude.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2023 :  12:35:36 PM  Show Profile
Grace,
I cannot sew worth a hoot.
But I know miss wilma would love your old machines.
SHe used to try to get me to sew (haha), and always recommended I get an older machine.
I miss her. SHe is still around, just not active here in the forums.
If I ever figure it out, it seems like the older machines are the way to go, less to learn.
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1408 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1408 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2023 :  7:00:17 PM  Show Profile
Throwing a question out there…

I have my eyes peeled for find older machines when I am out and about thrifting and such. What is a “fair/good” price to pay? I don’t have the good luck that Grace does finding deals ;)

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2023 :  9:42:14 PM  Show Profile
Sara,, I luv Columbo,, it use to bve on, on Sunday nites,, but then was replaced with the newer version of Perry Masion..

"Just one more thing"!!! lol!

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Mar 19 2023 9:42:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2023 :  9:43:36 PM  Show Profile
Lisa,, OMG! I remember Miss Wilma,, she was such a delight on the forum...

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2023 :  9:57:04 PM  Show Profile
Karen,, I would suggest a good old Singer 301 or 301A or a 401 these are straight stitch, no zigzag or fancy...

They are such simple, no muss no fuss hardy machines..
The 501 series and Rocketeers are great machines too, they use 'cams' for decorative stitches.

All that being said, even a simple basic Brother machine for $98 (at walmart) is fine for simple sewing.

There are a lot of old sewing machines at Thrifts,, I would suggest testing them at the store before buying and bringing home..
You can also do a quick search on a particular machine via your smart phone while in the store..
Feather Weights on average go for $400,and up.. sometimes you can get lucky and find one for a lot less,,
As for the 301 and 401, they range anywhere from $150 to $400,and up,,, again it just all depends on luck.

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2023 :  11:13:17 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, I have some of Miss Wilma's little decorative pillows that have pillow cases with vintage lace on them. I also have an old apron made by her too. She loved to sew and make lots of repurposed items into pretty new things to enjoy. I hope she is doing well these days in her retirement.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2023 :  5:53:29 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I love the vintage machines; I have 3 featherweight 221, my mother's Featherweight table, a Singer 301, a Singer 301A with its table, a Singer 401A in a cabinet, 2 Singer 128, 2 Hand Cranks (not Singer), 2 Treadles (again, not Singer), and a Singer Pinker. I also have 2 other Singer, a Brother sewing/4"embroidery, a Gimbel, 2 Sergers, 3 child machines, and a newer Janome. I also have a Pfaff that I am going to try and sell for parts - it does not work at all.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2023 :  03:17:13 AM  Show Profile
If anyone is having troubles with their featherweight, I recommend the Featherweight shop tutorials. They are videos that are very helpful to watch and learn.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Singer 221 and 301 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page