Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 looking at some of my books
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic looking at some of my books Next Topic  

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9090 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9090 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2023 :  11:12:06 AM  Show Profile

I WAS LOOKING AT SOME OF MY OLDER BOOKS AND DECIDED TO RE-READ 'the GRAPES OF WRATH. BY JOHN STEINBECK. I read it so long ago that I thought I might get more out of it on a second read. You know, years ago three small kids, ETC, I probably didn't give it my full attention.
The book is pretty fragile , copyright 1939, don't recall where I got it from. It would be nice to be sitting on the porch and reading this, but not quiet yet.

NANCY JO

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2023 :  11:50:24 AM  Show Profile
I love old books too! I think a re-read of the Grapes of Wrath is a great idea because it is a story that never grows stale to read over and over. Such a classic too! I love your oldies book nook!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2023 :  1:27:20 PM  Show Profile
I recognize lots of familiar books on your shelf. I have some of the same. I was just doing some spring cleaning today thinking I had better read some of the ones I have. My to be read pile or list is quite long!
Grapes of Wrath is a great read and one of those classic keepers.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2654 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2654 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2023 :  2:12:12 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Nancy Jo, there is nothing more special than vintage books. We have a thrift in town who used to carry hundreds of them, sadly, they have none left, not sure if they were all bought out or what. I used to love to spend hours in there, reading each spine, gently going thru their pages, admiring them all. So beautiful. I only have a handful myself. Not yet read, but waiting to be! :-)

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9090 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9090 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2023 :  05:09:57 AM  Show Profile
April, I do the same thing, always looking for old books at thrift stores and yard sales and church basement sales. Sometimes I find things in them, notes or old bookmarks.

NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2023 :  12:51:01 PM  Show Profile
It has probably been close to 20 years since I have read "Grapes of Wrath". I think I am due to re-read it as well. I also liked his book "Of Mice and Men". I still have a copy of that one and should get it out for a re-read. I do agree that with a re-read I may get more out of the story. I think with almost 20 years of growth I will have a different outlook on the stories and a better understanding.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2023 :  6:40:05 PM  Show Profile
Love the old books. Nancy Jo, I agree with you about finding things in the books you get. It’s like finding a hidden treasure! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic looking at some of my books Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page