Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Kate
Upton MA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2023 :  11:15:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!

It’s been a while since I’ve been a member (about 10 years) and I figured it was about time to re-subscribe! A lot has happened since then, including grad school, remarriage, moving several times, and starting fresh, so I’m excited to revisit the forum and learn some new things!

I’ll be 40 this May(!). I am a reference/technology librarian. My husband and I have two goofy dogs (PBGV’s named Teddy and Hank), and a decent sized property in a semi-rural area. We’re looking to become a bit more self-sufficient. We’ve already planted a significant portion of our yard with native wildflower mix, and we get beautiful flowers spring through fall!

The property came with a couple apple and peach trees, and low-bush blueberry, and we’re still trying to learn how to care for those. We just planted a few more apples and some raspberry bushes this week. Last year’s drought was brutal, so unfortunately we didn’t get much fruit at all, and the fruit we did get, our local critters got to first. I really don’t blame them, they were probably super thirsty!l!

I definitely want to support our native species, and a goal of mine is to devote some more attention to our corner flower garden this year. The former owner planted some beautiful peonies, hydrangea, daylilies, and daisies there. We are still getting caught up with all the maintenance that should have been done in this area the past few years…LOTS of weeding, chopping invasives down, and digging things out! I plan to add some fall-blooming species, and others that will support the bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds :)

We are friendly with all of our neighbors, and see them frequently, especially in the nice weather when we all hang out at our patio/pool. One pair of neighbors in particular we barter with, for some of the eggs they get from their chickens. My husband has his mushroom farm set up (NOT the magic kind!), he planted some asparagus last year, and we usually grow a few types of garden veggies. In the future, he’s looking to do some beekeeping (something I support but can’t promise to actively take part in since their buzzing does put me off!).

I also hope to pursue some merit badges, and am thinking I’ll probably start with the “cleaning up” category so that I can further develop some of the habits and lifestyle choices that I have made already. It’s really important to me to make conscious choices when purchasing personal items, food, and clothing. For instance, if could figure out how to make a “capsule wardrobe” at some point, I would love that too!

Anyway, glad to be part of the group again. (Thanks to Winnie for the thoughtful postcard, too!) I am looking forward to learning from you ladies!

Kate
Farmgirl Sister #8534

Edited by - katydid83 on Apr 17 2023 11:18:53 AM

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6455 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6455 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2023 :  11:28:20 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back Kate I look forward to getting to know you.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012, February 2018, September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple, I am Old now!!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6822 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6822 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2023 :  12:15:49 PM  Show Profile
Welcome back Kate, from north central Texas. I'll be looking for you around the Farm.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6718 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6718 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2023 :  12:28:33 PM  Show Profile
Welcome back Kate! Your property sounds wonderful. I look forward to hearing about all the other things you guys do to your property in the future. I would love to have a blueberry bush, but I can't seem to keep them alive. My guess is that we don't have the best ground or climate. So for now I will just stick with my raspberries. Good luck with all your merit badges. I bet you will enjoy working on them.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1125 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1125 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2023 :  2:17:40 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Kate, so glad you have returned! Looking forward to getting to know more about you.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
FGOTM August 2022
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6528 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2023 :  4:34:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kate, and it is great to meet you and glad you have joined us back at the Farm!! It sounds like you and hubby have a lovely place to live and are enjoying the various aspects of your property to pursue your projects. Good luck with merit badge work. There are so many topics to choose from. Keep us posted on what is going on up your way as time allows.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1432 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1432 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2023 :  6:26:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kate! It’s great to meet you! I’ve been a member of the sisterhood since January 2022. Best decision ever. So glad you re joined. I look forward to getting to know you better. :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

katydid83
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Kate
Upton MA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2023 :  1:53:56 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, all! I really appreciate the warm welcome!

Kate
Farmgirl Sister #8534
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7512 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7512 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2023 :  2:13:26 PM  Show Profile
Katie it is good to see you on here again!welcome back to the Farm!
It is so enjoyable here!
Take care!
Hugs
Darlene

Trust in your faith, not your emotions, when it comes to making life’s decisions.
I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer
Just. follow God unquestionably Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I TRUST IN YOU JESUS

#4943 - March 2013
FGOTM June 2013
FGOTY 2016

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9252 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9252 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2023 :  05:42:30 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back Kate! I hope you enjoygetting to know many that joined since you've been gone. Sounds like you are really doing well with your new property.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katydid83
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Kate
Upton MA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2023 :  4:45:36 PM  Show Profile
Aw, thank you Darlene and Denise!