Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1462 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1462 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2023 :  8:15:04 PM  Show Profile
I’m curious as to what people plant, bush or pole beans? John and I plant pole beans. This year we used cattle panels bent from one raised bed to the other (right next to it) and planted beans in both beds. They grew up the panel and over the top, creating a tunnel. It was a fun way to grown them and it made for easy for picking. We planted blue lake pole beans. They are hardy and fast growing. :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4137 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4137 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2023 :  03:02:13 AM  Show Profile
I have always planted bush beans. I can see why going up with your plants is easier to pick for sure. I have just never tried it.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3021 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3021 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2023 :  1:35:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm new to pole beans. We did the cattle panel as well. I LOVED how easy they were to pick, but I HATED how stringy they were. I think I just need to find a different variety. It was really neat how they grew up the panel. Ours went to the top and then kind of tried to keep going straight up. I had to help them go down the other side LOL!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1462 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1462 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2023 :  6:22:47 PM  Show Profile
Isn’t, it fun, Heather? I love the panels. We decided to do pole beans when we had our ducks…they would eat our bean plants! Lol :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3021 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3021 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2023 :  6:43:46 PM  Show Profile
We tried cucumbers on a different panel but something got them and the plants died before we got any cucumbers. Hopefully next year we'll have better luck. I didn't know ducks would eat the plants. I thought they were better than chickens because they only ate the bugs not the plants. Not sure where I heard that but wherever it was they must have had well behaved ducks LOL!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4137 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4137 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2023 :  02:39:32 AM  Show Profile
Wow those beans are easy to pick that way. Karen was your variety of beans stringy like Heathers?

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1462 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1462 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2023 :  7:25:11 PM  Show Profile
Our beans weren’t too stringy. We picked about 4 pounds last weekend and will have at least a few more to pick tomorrow.

Heather, that’s what we thought too, but our ducks loved green beans…lol :)

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6771 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6771 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2023 :  1:24:57 PM  Show Profile
Karen, I am all for pole beans. I have always struggled getting my bush beans to grow. We use blue lake pole beans too. That is the kind my dad used all through my childhood. They taste the best to me. I really love your idea of using a cattle panel. I will have to try that next year.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

shennandoah
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Shennandoah
La Vernia TX
USA
75 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2024 :  7:03:07 PM  Show Profile
Karen I’m all for pole beans when it comes to green beans but most of the soup beans I grow are bush. I haven’t gotten the timing of my succession planting down yet so that I can beat the heat of the summer and the first hard freeze. But I still end up with more than enough for us and to share with neighbors and family. My husband loves them and it’s one of the few veggies I can get my autistic son to eat.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2024 :  08:18:40 AM  Show Profile
I love both pole and bush beans fresh from a garden. Down here in Florida, I was able to grow bush beans pretty well and enjoyed having fresh picked to eat. The last frost and arrival of the heat and humidity in my area makes it hard now to raise beans successfully anymore. Corporate farms manage great further south but I struggled up here by missing the right plant date and then everything suffered from the humidity.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Green Beans…bush or pole?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page