Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Chit Chat
 The Secret Life of Bees Expert Level
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic The Secret Life of Bees Expert Level Next Topic  

GinnyBelle
True Blue Farmgirl

501 Posts

Hannah
West Lafayette IN
USA
501 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2024 :  4:49:50 PM  Show Profile
I started this badge a couple of years ago, earning the beginner level back in 2021. I recently delved back into it and realized that while I wasn't in a position to raise my own bees, I had a friend that has been doing it for years! So last spring, I approached her about becoming my local honey dealer, a requirement of the intermediate level. I also explained how I was trying to earn this badge for MJF and she was delighted to help me out! So July 21st last year, she emailed me to say her honey was ready to harvest and we set a date for me to come help. Boy, was it an experience! We geared up and headed out to her hive box where she fired up the smoker and we got to work. She pried the honey loaded frames out of the hive while I was in charge of the lid on the holding box. We had to get the frames into the box just right and the lid back on quickly so that the bees wouldn't follow the frames in. Once we had all the frames that were ready, we replaced the now empty slots with new frames and headed back to her house to extract the honey. It was harder than I thought it would be! First we had to shave the wax end caps off just right with a special knife. Then we had to put them into this barrel machine thing and crank like nobodies business to get the honey to fly out. It then emptied out the spout, through a colander and into a big bucket. After that, it would go through a couple of progressively finer filters before being ladled into jars. I wasn't able to actually help with that part because the valve was leaking a bit so she had to get that sorted out and was going to finish up the following day. But she did explain what she would be doing and sent me home with a jar of yummy unstrained honey complete with pollen and wax bits. All in all, it was a fascinating process and one I was grateful to have been a part of!

Hannah #6994
February 2023 FGOTM

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1430 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1430 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2024 :  7:12:47 PM  Show Profile
What a great experience, Hannah!! I had no idea that getting the honey was quite so labor intensive! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6718 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6718 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2024 :  2:18:41 PM  Show Profile
Wow Hannah, that is so neat! I also had no clue that it was that much work to collect honey. I does sound like a fun experience. My neighbor has bees too. I will have to ask her if I can help her collect honey sometime.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3004 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3004 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2024 :  5:43:02 PM  Show Profile
What fun!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4334 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4334 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2024 :  5:32:57 PM  Show Profile
That is super awesome Hannah!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2024 :  5:46:24 PM  Show Profile
Amazing job, Hannah! So much to appreciate! Enjoy your honey!

Nancy 8352
Go to Top of Page

shennandoah
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Shennandoah
La Vernia TX
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2024 :  6:54:59 PM  Show Profile
Wow Hannah that's great! I'm working on my intermediate badge and do have my first hives arriving in couple months. I am a bit overwhelmed by it all, including the honey processing piece of it. That's awesome that you were able to get that hands on experience with it. And of course some tasty honey too!
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic The Secret Life of Bees Expert Level Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page